What's new

How Mortal Kombat 11's Custom Variations Will Work In Competitive Play

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
That's a bummer for me. I wasn't too sure about the system before, but after playing the beta I really like choosing freely. Now I'm afraid of the situation that two moves I want to use are in different variations and I can't use them together. I don't even think the system would have been too hard to balance, so that's really dissapointing.

The weird thing is they've designed this entire slot system...just for casual play...that they themselves are now constrained by when creating competitive presets. If you look at some of the MKX variations, like Ronin Takeda, dude gets like 4 new special moves and new combos. That would be way more than 3 "slots". There are conflicting design decisions at play here.
This is the confusing part. You'd have to expand the given moves a lot more than 3 slots. Like you'd think Chain react Scorpion could buff his spear but...he cant.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Or they built the game, played it for thousands of hours, tested things in numerous ways and came to the conclusion that this was the best path to take for balance and tournament integrity. Rather than reading Twitter to let 10-20 people who've played the game for less than a week make the call for them.
Make the call for them? I didn’t realize NRS would be personally participating in tournaments, my bad.

babalook

Noob
Dear god, they better fix some of the present variations then cuz some of them were unusable. One of Kabal's, which gave him NDC and straight air buzzsaw (which were a downgrade from his default air buzzsaws and tiger kneeing them didn't seem to improve their recovery at all) was really baffling, those tools didn't compliment each other at all and he was left with Bnbs that did like 240 for a bar. I kind of wanted preset variations but after seeing the atrocious presets they put together and playing enough to see that there appeared to be at least two viable loadouts for each character ... they should just make custom variations tournament/ranked legal. Unless the characters that weren't in the beta are all terribly broken with with the right combination of specials.

Dear god, they better fix some of the present variations then cuz some of them were unusable. One of Kabal's, which gave him NDC and straight air buzzsaw (which were a downgrade from his default air buzzsaws and tiger kneeing them didn't seem to improve their recovery at all) was really baffling, those tools didn't compliment each other at all and he was left with Bnbs that did like 240 for a bar. I kind of wanted preset variations but after seeing the atrocious presets they put together and playing enough to see that there appeared to be at least two viable loadouts for each character ... they should just make custom variations tournament/ranked legal. Unless the characters that weren't in the beta are all terribly broken with with the right combination of specials.
The fact that Scorpion needs Misery Blade to be viable is another thing to consider. They have to redo his entire character before launch if they are gonna do presets lol.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I would like to hear it officially from NRS. Also, if this is their decision, it was likely made because they thought it would be what tournament players wanted. I don’t think the majority want this, most people I’ve seen (that have actually played the game) want custom variations.
The official NRS Twitter page retweeted that specifically so I think its safe to say its "official" unfortunately

babalook

Noob
The fact that Scorpion needs Misery Blade to be viable is another thing to consider. They have to redo his entire character before launch if they are gonna do presets lol.
Playing against scorpions without misery blade was a free win in the beta, he basically couldn't do anything without eating a full combo, not to mention some of the horrendous gaps in his strings and low damage output.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
the "there would just be too many custom variations to learn the mu against" argument is so laughably bad... I mean just look around and look at other fighters..
You probably could have learned all 5 characters movesets in MK11 beta in the same time it would take to do one character in Tekken. And I never heard anyone bitch about the hundreds of MU combinations you get in team based fighters.

If the MK11 community truly wants custom variations to be a tournament standard, then they need to work with the organizers to make it happen.

Don’t let NRS determine the fate of this feature - the community/tourney organizers are perfectly capable of setting its own standard of how this game should be played in tournaments. Fucking figure it out and quit being victims.
Dude that's never going to happen stop. NRS is going to have e-league and all this stuff that are going to have the rulesets they put in place and the community isn't big enough or organized enough to play around with that shit.

Last edited:

Xelz

Go over there!
Predicted Scorpion preset variations:

Variation 1: Misery blade + demon dash, named “Demon Blade”

Variation 2: Misery blade + NJP bounce, named “MKX Rerun”

Variation 3: Death spin + death spear, named “Unplayed”

Slymind

Noob
The weird thing is they've designed this entire slot system...just for casual play...that they themselves are now constrained by when creating competitive presets. If you look at some of the MKX variations, like Ronin Takeda, dude gets like 4 new special moves and new combos. That would be way more than 3 "slots". There are conflicting design decisions at play here.
Well said.

In MKX you could see that each variation was created from the ground up to have it's own identity, now they will just mish mash some individual moves to make the presets. I hope they reconsider, and let the custom variations roll, the good easily outweight the bad imo.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
You probably could have learned all 5 characters movesets in MK11 beta in the same time it would take to do one character in Tekken. And I never heard anyone bitch about the hundreds of MU combinations you get in team based fighters.

Dude that's never going to happen stop. NRS is going to have e-league and all this stuff that are going to have the rulesets they put in place and the community isn't big enough or organized enough to play around with that shit.
See kids, this is what reefer does to you.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
"In local versus and casual online matches, players can use whatever custom version of a character they’ve created, including augments that provide bonuses like increased damage for certain moves"

This is an important sidenote. I personally hated gear stats in INJ2 and was annoyed to death if opponents refused to turn it off in casuals. So depending on how strong the effects are in this game, wanting to play custom variations would mean also having to deal with that.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I thought that the entire point of separating the augments from the special moves was so that custom variations could work in ranked play. It just seems so strange to make these changes and display them so prominently if this is just going to be a retread of Injustice 2's issues. Feels like wasted effort.

Hopefully, NRS implements a proper UI select before long, especially if their 'presets' are gonna be as anorexic as they were in the beta.

Smart way to go about it. You can balance a move, or even swap moves to avoid making a move useless.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

no one should be surprised by this as it was stated months ago they were leaning on preset variations for tourny and ranked.

you can play around in casual mode. the stat boost wont happen unless both players agree to turn it on so that's not an issue either.

even if it was allowed players will just find 1 or 2 customs that are actually viable and you wont see 90% of the slots anyways. you have a right to be disappointed but it wouldn't change much at the end of day.