What's new

How many online games before you started getting good?

Nevrosis

Keelawutaye!
How many online games did you have to play to learn most matchups and start winning most of the time? And what did your w/l record look like back then?

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Well, I'm at about 960 and 950 losses or so I'm not really sure haha. I was negative about a 100 wins so I'm glad I finally got my wins up but I doubt I'll ever be good enough to win most of the matches I play. Online play is too random for me.

Detective-E

We are many.
When PSN was offline, I made up the time by practicing combos and strategies.

When I got online, most of them were behind me. So from the get-go I was doing well.

Of course, an expert players beats me everytime.

I've had a large w/l difference for a while, I don't pay attention to it and it seems to accumulate on it's own.

But I do ignore ranked matches, it seems to be nothing but a trophy grind, so you'll just be seeing players disconnecting mor then often. Stick to player matches I say.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
i use to only play player matches and got off to a negative 120something wins and about 300 losses....
but by staying true to my main and toughing it out im now at 800something wins and 400 or 500 losses in player but i only play my secondaries there now

i didnt start playing rank till about my 600 game in player and im at about 500 something wins and 100 something losses in rank

really true skill is what only somewhat matters

blues686

Black lantern
i didnt really starting getting really good until i probably was in the 300 wins range in player matches. i was always on the plus side in terms of w/l record. during my time of development i went thru 3 mains, starting with scorpion ( as all newbies start as), followed by liu kang until i settled nicely with cyrax. now im currently 725/325 exactly as of last night. im still improving the more i play and sticking to my main cyrax

Rapid

Magical Gaming Wizard
You mean online actually makes you good!? I don't think it was online experience that really contributed to my skill level, i think it was more watching tournament and competitive matches and learning about safety, block strings, and that sort of thing. But online did somewhat contribute to learning situations and learning the mindset of different characters. I'd say it took about 200 losses and 80 wins to realize i was doing something wrong, lawlz

blues686

Black lantern
You mean online actually makes you good!? I don't think it was online experience that really contributed to my skill level, i think it was more watching tournament and competitive matches and learning about safety, block strings, and that sort of thing. But online did somewhat contribute to learning situations and learning the mindset of different characters. I'd say it took about 200 losses and 80 wins to realize i was doing something wrong, lawlz
if you didnt rage quit so much maybe you would of learned quicker! lmao!!! hahaha i couldnt help my self with that one! lol

Rapid

Magical Gaming Wizard
if you didnt rage quit so much maybe you would of learned quicker! lmao!!! hahaha i couldnt help my self with that one! lol
Well your wins are with Cyrax, so do they even count? You know, we are all here having a civil conversation and you really wanna ruin another thread with trolling? #pathetic

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I have no idea because it wasn't playing ranked, or player matches against randoms that helped me improve. It was playing against good players in 1v1's and any KOTH get togethers.

Not sure about my current w/l ratio's I stopped playing ranked after about 100ish matches because at least in the period when psn came back up 101% of ranked players used scorpion and did 111 into spear and spear into f214 so obviously I wouldn't improve and the 'good' players I'd run into would do 24 low hat x infinity.

Anyway even though its obvious your record =/= skill. If you want to improve find people on this site or add good players you've played against, ranked is total ass and even if you come across an actual good player theres no rematch option. Learned quite a while ago that to get better you have to play against better people. Still this doesn't stop the cool kids who like to sit around in the big rooms with their 5000 wins to 300 losses declining every challenge/ cherry picking opponents and holy shit if they ever want to play more then 1 game after losing.

blues686

Black lantern
Well your wins are with Cyrax, so do they even count? You know, we are all here having a civil conversation and you really wanna ruin another thread with trolling? #pathetic
oooo kay i'll stop.. (rolls eyes) lool I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
V

Well, since I'm only good with one character it took me about 1000 matches. I'm at alittle over 2000 testing out Stryker, Nightwolf, and Smoke with limited success.. Idk maybe I should retire Sektor until tourney play(lol not in my state) and pick up one of the wafflers.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
I haven't checked in a bit but i think I'm closing in on 2,000 played and I'm about +350 or so. I didn't have a winning record until about 1,000 games. I'm pretty confident in all the matchups, but I'll still get bodied something nasty by good players (LIKE BOOK BURNING IN THE TYM ROOM :rant:) haha.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Started off as Ermac but then PSN was down so I trained daily. Then I dropped Ermac and had to relearn new characters. By the time PSN came back up, a lot of the players were terrible and got free wins off them. Lately, I've taken to fighting equal or better opponents.

Theme

Noob
I use to play a lot of offline in practice mode or ladder back when PSN was down. I also played with a friend a lot, who was a little notch above me, but I got a lot better. When we got online, I still played in practice mode learning new combos and whatnot. My little cousin started getting into the game, and I played with him too, who was also good surprisingly... just not as good as me, but he sure made me work for the win.

Online my score is something like 700 or 800 to 200 or 300. I havent checked it in awhile. I have been losing a lot lately due to more Kung Laos and Freddys. Havent played online for about a week now though.

Mr. Rager

Mr. IhaveacrushonBi-Han
most people start getting really good after 2000 matches. that seems to be the expert level of experience.

Sasuga

Noob
I started getting good on the first match:) I'm still on the way, tho. Luckily I have a lot of people in my list who are better than me and always willing to play.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I have no idea because it wasn't playing ranked, or player matches against randoms that helped me improve. It was playing against good players in 1v1's and any KOTH get togethers.

Not sure about my current w/l ratio's I stopped playing ranked after about 100ish matches because at least in the period when psn came back up 101% of ranked players used scorpion and did 111 into spear and spear into f214 so obviously I wouldn't improve and the 'good' players I'd run into would do 24 low hat x infinity.

Anyway even though its obvious your record =/= skill. If you want to improve find people on this site or add good players you've played against, ranked is total ass and even if you come across an actual good player theres no rematch option. Learned quite a while ago that to get better you have to play against better people. Still this doesn't stop the cool kids who like to sit around in the big rooms with their 5000 wins to 300 losses declining every challenge/ cherry picking opponents and holy shit if they ever want to play more then 1 game after losing.
Didn't used to be good but this sponge taught me a good Sektor.

now i can be considered mediocre,waiting till i can pull a good streak on a TYM KOTH.

at release day i'd just learn a 22% sektor combo and do it all the time,after the 2 months i didn't bother training,just did story mode and playing BO.

after that i saw a good SZ in a KOTH,learned him,mained him for 400 matches.

after that i stopped playing MK for a month because i just got DA2

when i came back almost everyone would beat me.

after that i trained and trained online got half decent

then i met YUR,he made a koth,i fought vs altsa,an excelent smoke

mained smoke for 2 days,was decent-good with him,party because hes super easy to use.

aaaand finally watched and slowly leeched off YURs sektor.

and that was the story of my life in MK.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I am way worse online than I used to be. I stopped playing online for a while and I went back to online last night and wow. Online has completely different timing to offline so the stuff I do offline 100% of the time, I fail to do at all on some connections online. My 22 magically turns into 222 and my corner combos are almost impossible for me. I go to slide under a projectile and get taken out of my slide on startup even though my input for the slide was in anticipation of them throwing the damn thing. Lmao@ online.

Back to adapting to the poor quality of online. I have been getting worse with time is the answer to your question.

Just got done playing my Ranked record is 5433-1063, and yeah, still can't beat Kung Lao. Finally beat REO's Kung Lao 3 times though, lost 10 but still. He needs frames, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Always had trouble with very good Scorpions until tonight, went 2-2 with Slips and it gave me a ton of confidence vs Scorpion for me.