What's new

How do you feel about Liu Kang? (General Discussion)

Kang in my opinion is at 10th place in top 10... he has really good tools for almost every situation. The only thing he lacks is a wake up game... other than this, he is a very dangerous character... and i believe he is hardest to master...
WOW man I saw u on stream u got by far the best Liu ever :)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Pretty underrated , Liu has the more amount of normal moves in MK9, beside his normals 1,2,3,4, he has extra moves for all of these 4 buttons, holding back or forward together

His footsie game, if mastered to ultra high level, is insane ridiculous, I think it's way underexplored

He has decent zoning resource, and can use instant fireball the same way as Mileena

His corner game is devastating

Since there are not lots of high level top Liu Kang players , this character is still in development state regarding his true potential level

I think Liu can give Johnny Cage , a run for the money :D

Red X

Noob
I have been playing this guy in practice mode for about a week already lol. I have pretty much mastered liu kangs BNBs and finally able to beat expert in ladder without lossing a round in a 3 round match. Liu Kang's Combos are sick! but it sucks though that I cant show off my skills. I am stationed here in South Korea and online connection here for mk9 is shitty.

I use his dragon stance to:
-Backdash very quicky to zone certain characters. This with IAFB is deadly.
-Make teleport whiff and punish them.
-Bait
-Anti Air
-Confuse enemy

His Anti Air game is sick! If they are in the corner and you play it smart they are fack!
He can end combos that will put him in a better advantage.

I think he is a complete character just like Ryu in SFIV in at the same very time his combos are flashing and devasting!

One thing I want NRS to do is to give him a buff that his dragon stance can be Enhanced so it will give armor just like Rain's Stance. I wonder how good liu kang will be O_O

o.o So I guess I'm the only one who shamelessly does back321, then dragon kick until i get a person in the corner. then 123, b321, b321, b321. then i jump into the corner and parry the wake up. rinse. repeat.

if ranged, i just ex dragon kick...

obviously only works on noobs.

I'm such a noob :<

lately i've been getting slammed in ranked, so I've learned my place...

Personal anecdotes aside, very easy character to master, and makes for some of the most fun matches ever.

when it comes to zoning, he's decent, but I prefer to play up close. I've yet to master the instant air fireball, so there's that.

Definitely a great character to start up with.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
o.o So I guess I'm the only one who shamelessly does back321, then dragon kick until i get a person in the corner. then 123, b321, b321, b321. then i jump into the corner and parry the wake up. rinse. repeat.

if ranged, i just ex dragon kick...

obviously only works on noobs.

I'm such a noob :<

lately i've been getting slammed in ranked, so I've learned my place...

Personal anecdotes aside, very easy character to master, and makes for some of the most fun matches ever.

when it comes to zoning, he's decent, but I prefer to play up close. I've yet to master the instant air fireball, so there's that.

Definitely a great character to start up with.
Hm, that's pretty much how I started out too. Try b312 b312 f24 into Bicycle Kick. (you can do three b312's but you can't let them fall to low for f24 to land, actually...if you let them fall to low just trade f24 for b1 into Bicycle Kicks)

I wouldn't recommend EX Dragon Kick, as you can just dash block. EX Dragon Kick puts them out of pressure distance as well. (except in the corner)

As for mastery, XBlades is the guy to talk about that. I don't have a clue.

He's zoning is great, but I think he's pressure game is stronger. IAFB's are hard to master, and can be ducked, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

He's very easy to learn, but he needs to work harder in high level play. I'd recommend him to any and every beginner.

Hm, that's pretty much how I started out too. Try b312 b312 f24 into Bicycle Kick. (you can do three b312's but you can't let them fall to low for f24 to land, actually...if you let them fall to low just trade f24 for b1 into Bicycle Kicks)

I wouldn't recommend EX Dragon Kick, as you can just dash block. EX Dragon Kick puts them out of pressure distance as well. (except in the corner)

As for mastery, XBlades is the guy to talk about that. I don't have a clue.

He's zoning is great, but I think he's pressure game is stronger. IAFB's are hard to master, and can be ducked, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

He's very easy to learn, but he needs to work harder in high level play. I'd recommend him to any and every beginner.
Actually I do use the f24 then bicycle/dragon kick, but only in practice and offline (I play on the vita).

Even did those classy b312 x 3 f24 x ray bicycle kick combo, but like everyone said, once an intense game starts, i just blank out. I think only about mixups so i can start a combo, or baiting a parry so I can get some breathing room.

I do watch Xblades, and LOVED his match against egp tyrant. extremely high level play of both characters, (best in the world aren't they?)

I've checked out some tutorials, but there aren't many specifically strategic tutorials. Mind sharing what's a good way to stay in control of a match? I don't utilize DS very often, is that a bad idea? Appreciate all help.

EDIT: also, it's a bit embarassing to ask one of the top players for advice on a game you started playing a month ago.... so I'll pass on bugging xblades

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I've checked out some tutorials, but there aren't many specifically strategic tutorials. Mind sharing what's a good way to stay in control of a match? I don't utilize DS very often, is that a bad idea? Appreciate all help.

EDIT: also, it's a bit embarassing to ask one of the top players for advice on a game you started playing a month ago.... so I'll pass on bugging xblades
I totally blanked out on replying, sorry about that.

I've never seen any real tutorial except Tom Brady's and the other guy who explained f12. DS is bit of a advanced technique, and you can get blown up for it. So unless you have good fundamentals, I would use it to a bare minimum.

As for asking XBlades, he's a good guy, but I wouldn't know about asking help. You came to the sub-forums, so you should be good.

I totally blanked out on replying, sorry about that.

I've never seen any real tutorial except Tom Brady's and the other guy who explained f12. DS is bit of a advanced technique, and you can get blown up for it. So unless you have good fundamentals, I would use it to a bare minimum.

As for asking XBlades, he's a good guy, but I wouldn't know about asking help. You came to the sub-forums, so you should be good.
I'll get onto his tutorial then. Thanks man.

On a totally noob side note, I've found one really great use for the DS stance. Taunting. DS at full screen to taunt, and then sweep out of it to dodge the fireballs - charge attacks. Works almost every time.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I love the character, and if I get comfortable enough with him will be dropping Baraka down to a secondary and making him my new main. I think he is honestly a top 10 character, if not right outside of it:
Good Zoning(iAFB can control the air)
Good rushdown(Most of his strings are neutral on block like b312,213,f12 and 111. A lot of them are + on hit.)
Decent pokes(D3 is very fast and +3 on hit, after it hits you can 2 into 213 and your opponent only has 5 frames to interrupt)
Great Corner game(B312 makes them block low, after it you can d3 into 213 which is high, you can keep doing this and it makes it very hard to get out)
Great wall carry(1 combo and you are almost in the corner)
Good whiff punisher(b+1, I love this move. Only -3 on block too. It is basically a better DS 2)
He has a parry(I personally think this can only be used effectively once or twice a match, but the tool is there).
He is one of the only characters that can go even with kabal

His only true weaknesses seem to be on wakeup(Parry works I guess but can be predictable after a while) and the fact that he can easily be outzoned. Dont think he has anything special on Oki either. Obviously he has 5-6 bad matchups but other than that he is very solid.

I may be overrating him a bit, but he is top 15 at worst. Very impressive play by XBlades and Shoryuken and MITDJT.

I really like Liu Kang. He is probably my best alternate fighter, too. He has all he tools I need in a fighter, except for the wakeup part. Good zoning with an iaFB, many safe normals and great mixups to go with his close-kombat game, and decent anti-zoning specials.

If it weren't for Freddy Krueger or Kratos, Liu Kang would be a main.

It's a damn shame how many people only rely on the final act combo he has. He's capable of so much more. When I fought XBlades, he was the same way until I showed him what more he can do. He is and always will be my favorite character in MK. He should be the cover boy instead of scorpion. He's the friggin dragon, dammit!

AssassiN

Noob
In all seriousness, is this still about combo's?
XBlades and every other LK prefers damage, wall-carry and consistency over "style".

So just do your own combo's and don't push them on other people.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
XBlades and every other LK prefers damage, wall-carry and consistency over "style".
Actually, I always try go for style haha. Though it's due to not having an offline scene, I'd go for damage and wall-carry in a tournament.

If you remember my video in the critic thread, I'd always drop b312, b312, (12b1, f12 into Bicycle kicks or Flying kick)

However, I wouldn't put me in the same boat as ThePunisher026...

Goldi

Noob
You know, I was really liking on him for about a week. I love how many options he has and how versatile he is. I could pretty much play him any way I wanted to.

The only thing that turned me off was how many back, forward inputs he has. I just couldn't get comfortable with it and gave up.

AssassiN

Noob
You know, I was really liking on him for about a week. I love how many options he has and how versatile he is. I could pretty much play him any way I wanted to.

The only thing that turned me off was how many back, forward inputs he has. I just couldn't get comfortable with it and gave up.
Lol, really? :p
Jade's glow input pisses me off, only can do it 4 out of 10 times. At other times the low boomerang comes out...

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Read first: This is not another tier question!
I was curious, how do you guys feel about Liu Kang? Pretty solid.
  • Is he tourney viable? Damn straight.
  • Would you consider picking him up? Neeeh not really.
  • Does he suit your play style? <~ This is why. No.
  • Are you at least a little curious about him? Not entirely. I think he's top 10 though.
  • Do you fear him? or hate him? (or both?) Neither, really.
  • Is he fun to fight against? Same goes for him as any other character. Good player, fun match. Bad player gtfo.
  • Is he one of the secondaries that has potential to become your main? See above.
I could ask more, but I think you get my point. Just discuss how you feel going up against him, or how you feel about choosing him on the character selection screen. I'd rather not. I don't think anybody wants to hear my stories. He's awesome.
Now here you might not like, so if your fed up with tier questions. Don't read.
  • Where would you put Liu Kang for tier lists? Top10 hands down.
  • Where would you put him in your tier list? I don't have one.
He's the #1 guy for me. :)(which is good enough for me) I don't know much about the other characters to make my own tier list so... Liu would be #1. Not realistically though. I'm very loyal to this character.

Discuss!
I've never had trouble beating Liu, though I'm not saying I've always facerolled this character. B312 rinse repeat is pretty solid, if I miss my glow input or don't punish properly, I'm toast. I always felt that he's a pretty solid zoner and rushdown at the same time, versatile enough for a force to be reckoned with. I think he's a good character but neither his move sets nor his personality appealed to me. He's called a Xiaolin but he's more like a Chinese-American dude by attitude, with absolutely none of the wisdom, spirituality or discipline that I'd expect from somebody called a monk.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
I watched this combo video and realised how I really DON'T REMEMBER any pre-patches Liu Kang stuff... I mean, I can't remember how his normals were, his damage output (obviously this vid will solve some damage-related questions) and his iafb recovery. The only thing I can remember is that he didn't have armor on his enhanced dragon kick and bicycle kick...