What's new

How did you get over your biggest break up?

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Just wanted to know how you guys dealt with your biggest break up.

- I worked out, gained a whole lot of muscle.
- Started partying, going to dominican get togethers are always fire.
- Got a Job, and dressed completely different.
- Took up a new hobby
- Spoke to other girls

I'm starting to think that whenever I'm in a relationship, I actually do much worst and progress less. This is something to think about :doh:

Eight

I am the salt
Gathered all my emotions up into an immense ball of hatred and rage and used that to turn all memories of that bitch into ash :).

Yeah it was a bad break-up.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Im assuming both were bad break-ups any good ones out there? Like, you broke up because you had to and what not.

Started off in a serious depression. Slowly turned into self hatred. Then it turned into strength to find out who I was and how to make myself a better person without needing someone there by my side at all times. Forgot the bad parts, kept the good, and changed for the better. I think that the breakup would have happened anyway in the future even if we had stayed together. Which would have made things much harder on both of us in the long run. I'm glad it happened, even if I still and always will love the girl.

I think the key to getting over a breakup is to take everything good that has happened and learn to apply it to your life. When looking at yourself through someone else's (sp?) eyes, it's much easier to see your flaws.

Altaire

Noob
About six months of bitterness and depression that prevented me from doing anything productive whatsoever.

I regret every moment of it. I did ABSOLUTELY nothing. I stopped weightlifting, I stopped doing anything with my band, and I stopped going out. I feel like I lost those six months of my life, and I understand now that it was completely unnecessary. If you're going through a bad breakup, do something productive to take your mind off it. Weightlifting/exercising is a fucking unbelievably effective means of dealing with stress; that's just science, but on the other hand, you'll be a lot more fit and you'll think "Damn, I look fucking good." It gives you a reason to feel good about yourself, and that's going to feel like a godsend during a time when you can't help but feel like shit.

The other big resolution you need to make is to see as much of your friends as you possibly can. You do NOT want to be alone with your thoughts during a period like this. Like the TC said, taking up a hobby will really help, since that'll keep your mind occupied as well. Still, it's much more important to just be around people you know. Go out drinking/clubbing/partying with your friends, as long as you aren't drinking yourself stupid to deal with your depression.

I don't know if I can really recommend drinking. The last time I went through a breakup (not nearly so bad as the one in question), I went and got myself a bottle of vodka, and on nights where I felt like I needed it, I'd have a shot or two, never any more. I'd drink just enough to loosen up and take the edge off, both because I can control my drinking and because I don't really enjoy being wasted out of my fucking mind. It's fine to drink that much once every blue moon if you're at a party or whatever, but being that drunk when you're in a shitty mood just doesn't feel good, and that's just a quick way to develop problems that will plague you into your later years. Again, this one really depends on how you handle alcohol. I've never been a heavy drinker and I've hardly been drinking at all over the past couple years, but I've always been the type to just have a shot at the end of the day, to loosen up or unwind on days where I feel like I could use it. I find it really lets go of the tension, but I just never want to drink enough to completely lose myself. Like, what I'm trying to say here is that it's alright to drink in small, SMALL quantities like this if you feel you can control it, but I leave that up to your discretion. if you don't trust yourself with it, don't do it just because some assclown on TYM said he's done it. In either case, if you ARE going to drink, you'd might as well get some Pinot Noir, at least that shit's good for you.

Other than that, the only other suggestion I can give you is, well, sleep around if need be. Don't let this define your life and don't let it become a compulsion, but if you think having a few hookups will uh, release some tension, go for it. Honestly, that's basically all I do at this point, whenever I feel I need it. I have a few FWB, some of them on-and-off, and I hit them up wherever necessary. I'm done with relationships indefinitely, partly because they've been nothing but stress for me (I've ended the overwhelming majority of them, for the record, so abandonment is the least of my concerns). More than that, I just don't miss it. Life is so much simpler this way, and I'm really enjoying it. I don't feel any kind of longing to be in a relationship right now, and it gives me so much more time to focus on my own life and what I'm doing with it. I have time to weightlift, I have time to write and record music, I have time to read, I have time to be a fucking nerd and play MK9 into the early hours of the morning. Like I said, I'm off relationships indefinitely. Until my outlook changes or I come across someone who makes me want to give it another shot, I'm not dating anymore, and I'm happy this way.

/rant, but if this is in any way helpful to anyone who's going through a bad breakup, I'm glad to be of service.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Oooooh. I have a Hell of a break-up story. This is some lifetime shit! lol
I married my High School sweetheart the semester before I started med school. She was a nurse. We were together 5 and a half years total and married for 6 whole months before she had an affair with a physical therapist at work. ^_^ Good stuff.

Well, I cut off my hair the same day that I moved out (I had a shaggy hair cut before).
I got obsessed with working out and did a stent of P90X in the evening, running in the morning. I lost 70 lbs
My "number" (ie. people I've fucked) went from 4 to 26 in one Summer, and I had to get STD testing (Disease free, bitches).
Became an alcoholic. Seriously. I was admitted to the hospital for acute pancreatitis at one point.
Got prescribed Xanax. Started abusing Xanax.
Gambled away my savings ($20,000)
My grade point average dropped from 4.0 to 2.3.

And then, I got my shit together. Just kinda woke up one day and thought "Why the fuck are you doing this?" and I didn't really have an answer. I gained back 20 lbs, but graduated from med school with a 3.8, and am finally feeling like I have my life back on track 2 years later. Ahhhh, Good Stuff.

aj1701

Noob
I married my High School sweetheart the semester before I started med school. She was a nurse. We were together 5 and a half years total and married for 6 whole months before she had an affair with a physical therapist at work. ^_^ Good stuff.

Well, I cut off my hair the same day that I moved out (I had a shaggy hair cut before).
I got obsessed with working out and did a stent of P90X in the evening, running in the morning. I lost 70 lbs
My "number" (ie. people I've fucked) went from 4 to 26 in one Summer, and I had to get STD testing (Disease free, bitches).
Became an alcoholic. Seriously. I was admitted to the hospital for acute pancreatitis at one point.

And then, I got my shit together. Just kinda woke up one day and thought "Why the fuck are you doing this?" and I didn't really have an answer. I gained back 20 lbs, but graduated from med school with a 3.8, and am finally feeling like I have my life back on track 2 years later. Ahhhh, Good Stuff.
Damn she must of be a helluva girl, lol.

In all seriousness, glad you were able to get back on the right track. I imagine it was difficult.

aj1701

Noob
First GF after we broke up, I was depressed for months, lost like 30lbs. Eventually got over it, we don't have any hard feelings, still talk, almost 15 years later.

The next worse one was the same, except that two days later met another girl got laid and hung out with her for the rest of the summer. Actually thats mostly how all the breakups after that first one went.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!

Brother, you and I are so much alike and or have so much in common.
Great to hear you pull through.

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
I got out of a 3 year relationship with a truly mutual break up and of course it starts off with the thought in your head "Where do I go from here?", and no matter how much you go out and party, no matter what you do to get your mind off that person, only time can heal those type of wounds. It does help alot to be around friends and people who support you, but still, for a while, every little thing reminds you of that person, like if you eat at a place that you two use to eat at in the past, or see a movie that you two saw together, and for some reason, alot of songs on the radio remind you of that person, and everytime, it gets to you a little. Eventually, as time goes on, you will realize you don't think about them near as much and you move on. It just takes time. After my big break up after 3 years of being together, I went to Panama City Beach and lived it up, and that helped for the moment, but as soon as I got home, reality set in, and I can't lie, it was hard for a bit, even though the break up was mutual.

JrK

Probably Drunk
Booz.

Idk I've been married to this ball and chain for so long I'd be so pathetically lost. Might as well go right to the old folks home and hire some hotty to wipe my ass.

Edit: and I'm only 28 :eek:

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
It was actually because of competitive gaming that my longest relationship ended lol. And it was competitive gaming that helped get me through it. (It was Halo and Modern Warfare 2. Don't judge me.)

Competitive gaming: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

And now I'm with a girl that cheers me on and was genuinely stoked that I got top 8 at SBIV. Can you believe that shit?

EDIT: Excellent thread, btw.