What's new

Question How come ice blast has no chip damage?

How come ice blast has no chip damage? Most moves do and even those that allow combos do as well. Slam, fans, kung pow spin, green balls, all that good stuff can chip you but Sub ice blast does not. Why?

Eight

I am the salt
How come ice blast has no chip damage? Most moves do and even those that allow combos do as well. Slam, fans, kung pow spin, green balls, all that good stuff can chip you but Sub ice blast does not. Why?
You ever been hit in the arms with a snowball? It doesn't hurt.

Fo real though, it should have chip.

Because if it dealt chip damage, then sub zero could play defensively at all times even when at a health disadvantage. Doing chip damage would force the opponent to come towards sub zero or crouch without block, leaving them vulnerable. Advancing towards sub zero is difficult and if he was able to just throw up ice clones and spam his "Floating combos" while doing chip damage to people blocking, that would be too juiced. He needs to have some vulnerability if he is at a health disadvantage. Otherwise, sub zeros would just play normally till theyre allmost dead and then hide bhind a clone and chip you to death with freeze balls. And the reasons the other combo starting projectiles deal chip damage (the only real comboing projectiles you mentioned were ermacs and reptiles) is because ermacs is not full screen and reptiles arent as spammable as sub zeros.

Ludogg

Noob
i always just thought since it didnt deal damage it didnt do chip, which just kind of makes sense

If Rain can shoot people in the eyes and do damage than sub zero should at least get 1% on a blocked freeze, lmao, poor subby z, no love in MK9.

Raiman

Noob
Because if it dealt chip damage, then sub zero could play defensively at all times even when at a health disadvantage. Doing chip damage would force the opponent to come towards sub zero or crouch without block, leaving them vulnerable. Advancing towards sub zero is difficult and if he was able to just throw up ice clones and spam his "Floating combos" while doing chip damage to people blocking, that would be too juiced. He needs to have some vulnerability if he is at a health disadvantage. Otherwise, sub zeros would just play normally till theyre allmost dead and then hide bhind a clone and chip you to death with freeze balls. And the reasons the other combo starting projectiles deal chip damage (the only real comboing projectiles you mentioned were ermacs and reptiles) is because ermacs is not full screen and reptiles arent as spammable as sub zeros.
What about Sub zero vs Kitana? Sub zero literally cant trade wither her fans at all so the only thing he can do is to "dash in crouch without block leaving him vulnerable". And the idea of somebody winning a match when their already at health disadvantage with a 1% chip is unrealistic. Also all the other combo starting projectile characters all have something else to work with, scorpion has spear, teleport, and hellfire, quanchi has trance, godly projectile and beam, rain has bubble, teleport, and lightning, Sub zero only has ice ball. And are my eyes playing tricks or did you actually say Reptiles projectiles arent as spammable as Sub Zeros?

If sub zeros freeze would last just a little bit longer it would be fine and you could trade with people. Although sometimes maybe due to lag I can freeze, double dash than jump in punch to combo, would be nice if I could do that all the time, :)

Maybe that would be broken though, idk?

Sub-Zero does not need chip damage on his ice ball. He has the best advantage off of a projectile trade in the game besides cyrax with his IMBAnet.

Subby

Frost Warrior
Never has, never will.

and never should.
Really? I think it should at least this time. Why would something so slow, and have slow start-up have no chip damage? TBH I think thats a little rediculous. Smokes projectile doesn't as well, but hey: Its fast, it tracks, and its very spammable unless the person jumps. Besides, its not even like the average gamer would sit there and take the hit if it DID do chip damage. He would jump over it because its one of the most punishable projectiles in the game under Rains water orb.

Why would a projectile that gives a free combo do chip damage? If it did chip, there would literally be no reason to do ANYTHING besides throw ice balls behind an ice clone and throw out the EX ice beam if you predict a jump. the only counter would be a teleporting cast member. Sub is fine the way he is.

Niflheim

Noob
Why would a projectile that gives a free combo do chip damage? If it did chip, there would literally be no reason to do ANYTHING besides throw ice balls behind an ice clone and throw out the EX ice beam if you predict a jump. the only counter would be a teleporting cast member. Sub is fine the way he is.
Scorpion's Spear does 3% on hit, sets someone up for a combo, and does 1% chip damage, and Sub-Zero's Iceball can't do chip damage? BTW, EX Ice beam does nothing but halt your opponent. You can't even set up a decent BnB combo on hit mid screen.

Anyways, add Chip damage. Ice hurts, but right now, it's just a freezing snowball.

Scorpion's spear is not spammable like ice ball. Recovery is longer, therefore making it more punishable. Plus he doesn't have the added security of an ice clone to hide behind, he's taking a huge risk every time he throws one out that's not part of a 11 grounded / 111 in-air string.

EX Ice beam does nothing but halt your opponent. You can't even set up a decent BnB combo on hit mid screen.
Huh?

Niflheim

Noob
When you use EX Ice beam and hit an opponent in mid-air, they only stay frozen for only the third of a normal freezing duration. It makes it hard to set up a combo except maybe 2,2,2.
Oh, and Reptile's forceballs do chip damage and set them up for a juggle combo. Oh, and Reptile can get to the person fast enough, with dash.

dash b12 212 slide. You catch them on the way down at midscreen. At fullscreen dash and catch them with 1 dash 214 slide on the way down, does 25%.

Reptile is an asshole, and that's all I'll say about him.

Because you have 3 stuns. He has ice ball, ice clone, and ground freeze. Only one other character comes close to that and that's cyber sub with 2.5 (i give half a point to ice bomb because it can hit and not freeze)

Subby

Frost Warrior
Because you have 3 stuns. He has ice ball, ice clone, and ground freeze. Only one other character comes close to that and that's cyber sub with 2.5 (i give half a point to ice bomb because it can hit and not freeze)
After the patch Ice puddle will, once again, be totally worthless. Don't even count it.

SyXX

Yolo is Power
I'm not pushing for chip damage really, but I am just curious. How would say 2% chip be any different than a reptile force ball? They both award full combos on hit. Reptile can also throw them faster as well as hide behind them.

If reptile is balanced why wouldn't sub be?

Sent from my DROIDX

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sub has great offense and the best corner setups in the game. He will also be able to slide under all highs and have armour on his ex slide if and when he does in fact receive these changes. Given that, his ice blast can stay exactly like it is. I am hardly complaining. The slide fix and the armour on ex put Sub-Zero way up there. If you agree with Tom Brady that Sub's offense is in the game's top 3, it's pretty hard to place him outside of the top 3 overall in light of the changes to the slide. Why would you think Sub needs to chip his opponent out if he can punish high projectiles with the slide and approach with his safe 22 string? He can still lame it out and wait for a mistake when he has a decent life lead, lol.