What's new

Match Footage HawkGirl Battle Footage

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Footage from our Weeklies, Grand Finals with my Hawkgirl vs an Aquaman.
Nothing amazing, I'm looking for critique/suggestions to level up :D
NSFW language btw
[vid]
Didn't see the post til today lol, here's what I think:

I'm stealing that we3 > Throw setup , definitely lol.
Divekicks were done way too high, that makes them easily punishable.
You gotta control the space while in the air more especially when there are interactables like the tvs.
I would have liked to see more we2 mixups.
You should have gone for easier corner combo than the b1 we3 loop, since it's tough in real matches.
I would also have liked to see more b22 and 32 in the corner.

It was pretty good tho, good job winning that tourney, unlike me :(.

You gotta control the space while in the air more especially when there are interactables like the tvs.
I appreciate your vids as they've helped me to better understand this as well as just how to control air space better. I tend to forget about interactables. They're so brutal tho, lol.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I still haven't lost, some more matches of me against Grundy, Bane, Superman and an Ares that was there for like 2 matches.

I appreciate your vids as they've helped me to better understand this as well as just how to control air space better. I tend to forget about interactables. They're so brutal tho, lol.
Yeah and they're extremely important to hawkgirl, as imo they're extremely important in her damage output.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol yeah the WE3> throw setup is pretty nasty, coz once they realize you'll go for that its WE2 and divekick time. I also really like it coz a lot of times i have no idea what side I'll land on after WE3 so throw is awesome as it works either way >.>;

All in all, I thought it was pretty solid.

Liked:
Blocked WE3 into throw, liked the divekick crossups, Nice D2 anti air, appreciated the use of D1

Wanted:
Post sweep wanted more WE as oki. When you had AQman cornered, I really wanted to see WE2 there on oki. I was like, break this dude down and gimme some F1>3 loops, lol. I guess generally wanted to see more WE as oki. I believe that is so powerful. I know B2>2 is slow, but if you have your opponent cornered and scared consider B2>2>WE2 mixup in the corner. The corner is the only place you can do this, but I love this as a mixup because if you score a hit, its F1>3 time :D

I remember you doing We2 on oki once around 2:30. That was dope, I just wanted to see that full combo! WE2>1>2>3>J2>4>1>BF2!

Also, wanted to see blocked We3 to a quick string like F1>3 where its easier to block/hit confirm. On block, We3 again as crossup to however you'd like to mixup your opponent.

Good stuff dude

Against Aquaman I dont do as many WE mixups coz his stupid trident moves beat all of them clean, mainly his d2 and i wanna say b1 or b2? either way theyre stupid and stuff my WE follows up :( You have to do it super meaty so that he cant stuff them. Plus WE2 has deceptively short range and I've whiffed it soo many times now that i dont go for it as much.
Me and the aquaman player have been playing long sets since the game out and thats when I usually try to do more WE mixups, but i keep getting stuffed till i get pissed and then i switch to Raven lol.

Yeah i noticed that I was going for b23 way too much where i couldve mixed it up with b22 or other options. I was just greedy and wanted to land b1>WE3 loops so bad lol.

I didnt know you can go for 123 after WE2, I usually go for b1 fly 2 MC. Good to know that I can land more damage :D

Didn't see the post til today lol, here's what I think:

I'm stealing that we3 > Throw setup , definitely lol.
Divekicks were done way too high, that makes them easily punishable.
I would have liked to see more we2 mixups.
You should have gone for easier corner combo than the b1 we3 loop, since it's tough in real matches.
I would also have liked to see more b22 and 32 in the corner.

It was pretty good tho, good job winning that tourney, unlike me :(.

haha thanks.Granted my comp wasnt as good as yours but hey I'll take it =P

For the divekicks, i sadly do too many of them at random times and heights, people keep getting hit by them and I'm developing a stupid habit coz of that lol. I should really break that when its still early.
Against Aquaman though I try to do them a tad higher coz if he's throwing out limbs and i do it low it'll get stuffed.
Is there a distance/height where our divekicks are safe?

:confused: how exactly do you control the space in the air? thats what I'm struggling to find out how to do effectively atm. seems that they can just block mace> dash>block mace>dash till theyre under me and then jump to hit me out of the air.

The b1>WE3 combo is so stylish though! and i dont know any other decent corner combos right now lol. I'm waiting for your video that has an easier corner combo <.<

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to work on that stuff and couple of other things and see how I do next week.

Airborne

The Mad Scientist
....OMG, last night, I almost wrote this theory I had on doing Wing Evade on Grundy's wakeup, asking if there was anything he could do about it, and Booden already did it at the end of the first match on the above post. XD That's just too good. Ok, back to watching for me.

Edit: Meant the empty wing evade into a delayed 3-follow-up.

Shin Oni

Noob
....OMG, last night, I almost wrote this theory I had on doing Wing Evade on Grundy's wakeup, asking if there was anything he could do about it, and Booden already did it at the end of the first match on the above post. XD That's just too good. Ok, back to watching for me.

Edit: Meant the empty wing evade into a delayed 3-follow-up.

Just a small tidbit of what you're thinking. I was looking for hawkgirl stuff off her divekick and found oki/option selects with wing evade or just her normals in general (mainly d+1, 2 or 3). Tested it out on all the cast with hard kockdown (d+3), tech roll off a divekick, and throw. (except lobo since I don't have him.) and so far the only person that gets away with anything completely is deathstroke (with sword spin.) everyone else either completely loses (and have to block) or ends up being a guessing game which is in your favor as she has an answer for everything on their knockdown beisides wakeup super. (only people who can't do wakeup super on either hard knockdown or tech roll is Killer Frost and Batman.) But if they do wakeup super after a tech roll and you're dashing, you have enough time to block afterwards due to the super animation freeze locking your inputs (which if you're doing it right, should be a dash) and as Hawkgirl comes out the dash, you can just block.

Sorry the video quality is ass. But you get a general idea of what to work with. I'll do another showcasing at least Bane/Grundy/Doomsday/Lantern/Superman since those IMO are the main people who have a wakeup game you have to respect to some extent. But even then, their options are still covered by what hawkgirl can do.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
http://www.twitch.tv/offcast/b/402418665
3:44:43 Is where my match starts getting streamed. And actually watching the whole thing would be good, it was a really sick tournament.

I only played against one other Hawkgirl the whole day so I felt pretty special lol, but I just gotta brush up on combos.
You did a LOT of mistakes, you could have easily beaten that Superman :/.
You didn't know the better corner combo which is really important, you fell multiple time against the corner interactible, you didn't hit him out of the air with mc/horizontal mace toss, you didn't use we pressure, barely used d1, didn't mixup in the corner... You could have wrecked him.

Btw, you can punish superman if you block f23 superbreath (gap) f23 with f11 4 2 mc or d1 we3 if I'm right.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Wait what? I thought the breath is like -3? or maybe I'm thinking f23 without the breath..
Superbreath is +1 on block, superbreath mb (ice breath) is negative and punishable I think.
f23 is 8 frames of startup. If supes does f23 superbreath f23 as a block string, you can punish him right before his second f2 comes out with either a d1 or f1 since they're both 6 frames.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Ah ok, yeah idk about MB version coz I never encounter that outside of it being used in a combo.. good to know either way I guess.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Ah ok, yeah idk about MB version coz I never encounter that outside of it being used in a combo.. good to know either way I guess.
It's pretty important, because against some characters that don't have anything faster than 7 frames (like Grundy), superman can just f23 superbreath all day long without ever being punishable.