What's new

Grundy Community Response...

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
good stuff, gonna implement this later

i almost think we should all play him a little more basic and just take the damage whenever we can hit. Setups and things are nice for characters that need them to do heavy damage but grundy hits like a freight train off most anything anyway. Bird in the hand is 2 in the bush or so they say. Of course I'm a scrub so my opinion should be taken with a truckload of salt lol
I agree. I love the set ups that Grundy can get, but sometimes I see people going into MB SH, j2, b1, into f1 MB Swamp Hands again. Potentially losing like ~%60 and a chance to trait up.

Grundy is a great character, he just requires a ton of knowledge, and luck(ie reads)

I love the character, but we got to put in some serious work against our bad match ups, sinestro, supes, HG, etc.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I made a mistake. The input is F12. He told me B2 <.<

The setup is MB Corpse midscreen, dash up:
F12 (on hit) MB Swamp hands, B3, J3, 11, Trait
F12 (on block) trait

However, I just went in the lab and tested B23 trait on block and it's pretty much guaranteed anywhere on the screen after the MB Corpse knockdown. It is wise to whiff the B2 and make them block the 3 or get hit by it. Trait gets them either way. You can also play the low/overhead guessing game with people and switch it up with B1, F3, F12.

Last edited:

RIF

Noob
Why play a character like Grundy where you have to think, garner match-up knowledge, and play fairly to win when you can play Bane? Grundy,arguably, does better against 1-2 characters, but otherwise has to work 3x as hard as Bane to get rolling.

Grundy is an amazing character. He is EXTREMELY fun to play but the general mechanics of Injustice work against him. If he were in SF, he's be broken. Marvel? Broken. In this game, he's not. Throw immune moves are absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I honestly hate that damn podcast lol. Nobody will truly understand the struggle until they play grundy full time. Ive only been successful because of my fundamentals mixed with the fact that im used to fighting uphill battles..mainly the uphill battle part lol. At the end of the day though, if you take a random ass HG and an average grundy, chances are the HG will win. He either needs faster normals, or take away that throw immunity BS like NRS said they would last patch. I'm losing really bad in my scene because everyone knows the MU..which is basically dont respect anything. Think about it, grundy's WC is 3 hits but EVERYONE has a string/normal thats throw immune. So all everyone does is swing as soon as I WC to get close. Supermans F23 is throw immune..so whats stopping him from constantly swinging away without trait? AM B12 is throw immune..the list goes on and on. I'm literally playing off of players habits, but that only gets me so far. I think its time to wake up and realize you need a secondary for grundy. It sucks but nothing is worse than knowing you have no options in a MU.
I agree with the secondary need. IMO grundy can be competitive vs most of the cast but some MUs are torture

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Why play a character like Grundy when you have to think, garner match-up knowledge, and play fairly to win when you can play Bane? Grundy,arguably, does better against 1-2 characters, but otherwise has to work 3x as hard as Bane to get rolling.

Grundy is an amazing character. He is EXTREMELY fun to play but the general mechanics of Injustice work against him. If he were in SF, he's be broken. Marvel? Broken. In this game, he's not. Throw immune moves are absolute nonsense.
because Bane is a douchebag. lol

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
I've been working on a Raven and a Superman as of late. Do you have specific MUs in mind that MMH and Supes cover that Grundy doesn't, or is it that they're both just good?
I keep MMH for Cyborg, Sinestro, and Supes. All three of them I feel are sooo much easier than with Grundy. Not being able to do shit against zoning with Grundy then punishing projectiles with ~40% teleports with Manhunter is great. I am the most free Grundy in the community though, so take that with a grain of salt.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Good stuff. I might have to test drive MMH as well, but he didn't feel as fluid to me when I tried to play him before

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I honestly hate that damn podcast lol. Nobody will truly understand the struggle until they play grundy full time. Ive only been successful because of my fundamentals mixed with the fact that im used to fighting uphill battles..mainly the uphill battle part lol. At the end of the day though, if you take a random ass HG and an average grundy, chances are the HG will win. He either needs faster normals, or take away that throw immunity BS like NRS said they would last patch. I'm losing really bad in my scene because everyone knows the MU..which is basically dont respect anything. Think about it, grundy's WC is 3 hits but EVERYONE has a string/normal thats throw immune. So all everyone does is swing as soon as I WC to get close. Supermans F23 is throw immune..so whats stopping him from constantly swinging away without trait? AM B12 is throw immune..the list goes on and on. I'm literally playing off of players habits, but that only gets me so far. I think its time to wake up and realize you need a secondary for grundy. It sucks but nothing is worse than knowing you have no options in a MU.
Thanks for the honesty...this is truth and iv'e been saying it for months. So so so much truth. Can I say i told you so? Cause I did. That's why I went to NW.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So I think I might be jumping the gun, and if so stop me, but are you saying if Tyrant is dropping Grundy we should all be concerned?

I think Grundy is a struggle to play well against the popular picks in Injustice, but that's not to say he can't win. There's a Batman player here who I play with all the time (he is def no slouch), and we go about 5-5 in a match that should be bad for Grundy. I play a GL player in the proclaimed "god-awful 3-7" matchup, but we go about 5-5. I think Tyrant is getting bopped so hard in the WC is not so much because people learned the Grundy matchup, but more so people learned the Tyrant matchup.

I am not saying Tyrant is bad by ANY MEANS. Tyrant has been one of my favorite players in MK and Injustice. I got nothing but respect for the guy, but if he's stepping down, I'm stepping up
:DOGE

The unthrowable strings suck, I get it.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
The problem with Grundy is that everybody looks at his damage/tools but doesn't realize how ridiculous inconsistent, hard to pull off, and easy to deal with a lot of his options are.

Grundy has very few good MUs, and a lot of ridiculously hard ones. Anybody claiming he's top 10/5/whatever has to take into account the fact that he loses to like at least 10 characters. I think Grundy is good, but I really don't think he's anything more than that. Good isn't enough when everybody else is better.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
The future of Grundy is literally tick throws and guessing if and when they pushblock that your ability to correctly guess WCC to break the pushblock and do a full combo punish. His "50/50" is a joke, I am pretty sure we were all a prisoner of the moment when Tyrant was winning with Grundy but then people figured out everything and it just isn't worth putting in the time and effort into Grundy anymore, since his bad matchups are ususally the most common in tournaments and online.

Grundy isn't worth the trouble to learn when it seems alot of the games mechanics are working against him giant fucking maps, slow walk speeds, Hawk Girl (Seriously whoever came up with this design must have been on some major kush.) It is unfortunate because Grundy is such a unique character and for the most part a great design, but flawed in the sense that every character has a string to pressure Grundy upclose that is somehow fucking throw immune. I mean Zoning is fine to keep Grundy out let him work to get in, but why should characters have FUCKING throw immune strings.

/emo rant

usbigboy

You weren't on frame bro
Sucks knowing u have to outplay ur opponent almost Everytime u pick this character I'm srry tyrant u just had to fall in love with him

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
- give him a string out of 2
- make his sweep plus on block or faster startup
- improve d2's hitbox
- change his WC into a stance that you can cancel into normals instead of db cancel
- change his WCC so you back dash, dash, or jump to cancel
- change his WC so he can cancel earlier
- decrease Cleaver Spin's start up and recovery

I mean he obviously doesn't need all of this but some would definitely make him less risky. I'm still new to this game but it feels like he struggles way too much to get that hit. And against the more popular characters it feels like it's near impossible. It's like I can only start consistently winning if I'm playing a very long set so I have more time to pick up on some player habits.

GRUNDY IS AN ASS CHARACTER AND IF YOU TELL ME ANYTHING THAT GRUNDY HAS I CAN TELL YOU A COUNTER TO IT. ME AND TYRANT WENT MONTHS FIGURING NEW SHIT OUT AND WAYS TO DEAL WITH THINGS BUT IN THE END HE JUST GETS FUCKED AS A CHARACTER. ASIDE FROM LITERALLY ALMOST EVERYTHING BEING THROW INVUNERABLE. LITERALLY EVERY SITUATION GRUNDY PUTS YOU IN THERES A BETTER OPTION FOR YOU TO MAKE . PEOPLE GET HIT WITH A COUPLE 50% COMBOS AND DONT SEE THE CHARACTERS PROBLEMS. IF YOUR PLAYING GRUNDY FOR ANYTHING BUT FUN ITS A JOKE.