What's new

Grundy Community Response...

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
My first love in this game was Grundy. I love his play style, his armor, his look, and his SWAG. Now I still play Grundy a lot online and in casuals. So much so that he is still highly viable to me in certain MU.

Nothing feels better than landing a mb swamp hands, mb grave rot j2 b1 trait grab with damage on...Nothing. On top of this, I love how everyone who doesn't play Grundy has an opinion on him yet the only one that mattered is the one who is more silent on here (Tyrant). This is not to say others are wrong but the "Grundy of America" is the one who stays mostly quiet about these topics and is apparently going to drop him. I really want to give the Grundy community, of which I still consider myself a part of, the chance to respond to the talk that is happening

I was listening to 'Propopoly' aka West Coast Warzone and @EGP Wonder_Chef was talking about how Tyrant went 0-2 at a tournament and was discussing Grundy's tier placement and over all status in this game. This isn't the first time podcasts have been discussing Grundy. I have heard comments on how "Grundy could be top 5" or "Grundy takes 3/4 life with each touch...level up" or "Grundy is broken." And I think to myself "They just don't know" and I want the community to respond.

At the end of the day, I want this thread to discuss Grundy's tier placement, Tyrants lack of recent success and who he is picking up, the lack of understanding of people who are on podcasts, yet don't play him or understand him and the lack of acknowledgement of our gripes because Tyrant was playing well and we other Grundy players needed to level up.

The time has come and the floor is yours Grundy community

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I think he is a pretty good character. I think Tyrant should stick with him but try some other stuff with him. People are probably figuring out how to deal with Grundy on the West which means he is going to have to adapt to that.

Reactions: Art

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I think Grundy is really good. I know I'm a scrub in comparison to wonder chef or Tyrant or Wound or whoever but I've played Grundy heavily since launch and I think he's very good.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lol "tryrant".
Anyways, i do think Grundy is good. Tyrant just has the misfortune of playing his worst mus on a regular basis. People that claim Grundy is a bill can never give me reasons.
Pretty much. Stick him in an environment where this is not the case every damn tournament, and I wouldn't be surprised at how much this changes.

Part of me feels it's also him taking chances instead of guarantees at times, though take this with a grain of salt as I don't play Grundy, so I can't understand exactly why he does some of these things.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Pretty much. Stick him in an environment where this is not the case every damn tournament, and I wouldn't be surprised at how much this changes.

Part of me feels it's also him taking chances instead of guarantees at times, though take this with a grain of salt as I don't play Grundy, so I can't understand exactly why he does some of these things.
Sometimes he has to take chances...just the way this game works. No character is exempt from this.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Grundy is just really slow for this game. D2 is 8 frames sure, but doesn't cover enough horizontal distance for proper punishing. He also lacks true 50/50s. Everything can be dashed out of, I can tell when someone doesn't know the Grundy MU when they get hit by anything after a b1 reset( minus grab because grab is guaranteed).

I think hes C tier, He does fair against Supes/MMH but characters like HG, Aquaman... yeeesh...

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
my thoughts initially are similar to how I viewed Skarlet in MK. He armor gives her a chance to get our of every situation if you make the right read. This means that she had a way out of every frame trap, knockdown set up and more.

Grundy in theory can do this but it is much harder to do with reversing his cancel as well as the fact that he doesn't have projectiles. He has to touch you but sometimes you just can't touch your opponent...hence 0-2 for tyrant.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Grundy is just really slow for this game. D2 is 8 frames sure, but doesn't cover enough horizontal distance for proper punishing. He also lacks true 50/50s. Everything can be dashed out of, I can tell when someone doesn't know the Grundy MU when they get hit by anything after a b1 reset( minus grab because grab is guaranteed).

I think hes C tier, He does fair against Supes/MMH but characters like HG, Aquaman... yeeesh...
I dont actually know this MU. I just keep trying to Backdash and hope it works. :p

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf

What about B2 after MB Corpse hard knock down? My friend hits me with that a lot because it looks like a mid and I forget to hold down.

Art

Grave_Intent
I think he is a pretty good character. I think Tyrant should stick with him but try some other stuff with him. People are probably figuring out how to deal with Grundy on the West which means he is going to have to adapt to that.
Agreed, As a Grundy player myself I've noticed people don't fall for his mix-ups as much, and while Tyrant's Grundy is amazing (my hero) I think as a whole Grundy players should try some new strategies.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What about B2 after MB Corpse hard knock down? My friend hits me with that a lot because it looks like a mid and I forget to hold down.
The low stomp? lol I personally only use it in the corner because b23 is tic throw on block. b2 by itself is + frames also so following it up with d1 or d2 is good. as for doing it after a mb wc...I never tried that.

Espio

Kokomo

Just out of curiosity, what makes Aquaman really bad?

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
The low stomp? lol I personally only use it in the corner because b23 is tic throw on block. b2 by itself is + frames also so following it up with d1 or d2 is good. as for doing it after a mb wc...I never tried that.

Lol really? It's smart man. I mash backdash a lot and hold back on wakeup so he either gets me with the b2 or the followup like 70% of the time. Tyrant is his favorite player, but he doesn't follow the scene as much as I do.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Lol really? It's smart man. I mash backdash a lot and hold back on wakeup so he either gets me with the b2 or the followup like 70% of the time. Tyrant is his favorite player, but he doesn't follow the scene as much as I do.
good stuff, gonna implement this later

Agreed, As a Grundy player myself I've noticed people don't fall for his mix-ups as much, and while Tyrant's Grundy is amazing (my hero) I think as a whole Grundy players should try some new strategies.
i almost think we should all play him a little more basic and just take the damage whenever we can hit. Setups and things are nice for characters that need them to do heavy damage but grundy hits like a freight train off most anything anyway. Bird in the hand is 2 in the bush or so they say. Of course I'm a scrub so my opinion should be taken with a truckload of salt lol

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
the gimmicks are fun at the end of matches when you need to avoid clash. GR damage can certainly add up during wcc in the corner.

i almost think we should all play him a little more basic and just take the damage whenever we can hit. Setups and things are nice for characters that need them to do heavy damage but grundy hits like a freight train off most anything anyway. Bird in the hand is 2 in the bush or so they say. Of course I'm a scrub so my opinion should be taken with a truckload of salt lol
I agree with this. I think you have to measure your options. For example, If you know they only have 20% left and you get the d2, don't go for mb swamp hand...your gonna need that meter for 2 bar 70% combos next round. Just smarter overall play

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle
I honestly hate that damn podcast lol. Nobody will truly understand the struggle until they play grundy full time. Ive only been successful because of my fundamentals mixed with the fact that im used to fighting uphill battles..mainly the uphill battle part lol. At the end of the day though, if you take a random ass HG and an average grundy, chances are the HG will win. He either needs faster normals, or take away that throw immunity BS like NRS said they would last patch. I'm losing really bad in my scene because everyone knows the MU..which is basically dont respect anything. Think about it, grundy's WC is 3 hits but EVERYONE has a string/normal thats throw immune. So all everyone does is swing as soon as I WC to get close. Supermans F23 is throw immune..so whats stopping him from constantly swinging away without trait? AM B12 is throw immune..the list goes on and on. I'm literally playing off of players habits, but that only gets me so far. I think its time to wake up and realize you need a secondary for grundy. It sucks but nothing is worse than knowing you have no options in a MU.