What's new

Grooming The Next Generation of Gamers

Hey everybody! I got the idea for this after seeing another junior gamer in a different thread. The purpose of this thread is to show the progress made by my two sons (and anyone else who wants to contribute!) in their fighting game skills, and to line up friendly casuals for the younger crowd if anybody wants to.

I hope to teach them how to play, and how to be good sports about both winning and losing.

**Say what you want about anything but the kids here ladies and gentlemen. They should be exempt from flaming/trolling**

So here goes… I have a seven year old and a five year old who love to play MK, IGAU, and Virtua Fighter 2. I'm going to continually update this thread with videos, and I hope others do the same!

06/04/2013
Don (5) P1 vs. Joe (7) P2

06/14/2013
Joe (7) P1 vs. Don (5) P2

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I don't want to be THAT guy but......I have a 2 year old and there are things I don't think she should see. You don't think MK is kind of extreme for a 5 and 7 year old?

I don't want to be THAT guy but......I have a 2 year old and there are things I don't think she should see. You don't think MK is kind of extreme for a 5 and 7 year old?
lolz you're not "that guy" if you are trying to have a reasonable discussion! i think it is a good way to teach them the difference between real life and fantasy. aside from the usual brotherly spats, i've never had a problem with the boys being violent/aggressive in the playground or school.

As long as their minds are capable of establishing the differences between virtual and reality, along with the moralities of violence, I'm sure it's fine.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
lolz you're not "that guy" if you are trying to have a reasonable discussion! i think it is a good way to teach them the difference between real life and fantasy. aside from the usual brotherly spats, i've never had a problem with the boys being violent/aggressive in the playground or school.
Well, I just know if somebody attacks me as a parent it's game time so I didn't want you to take it that way. It's the age old debate about which age is appropriate for what, etc. I'm more old fashioned I guess, but as long as they understand the difference between fantasy and reality like Alien Substance said, that's all that matters

Well, I just know if somebody attacks me as a parent it's game time so I didn't want you to take it that way. It's the age old debate about which age is appropriate for what, etc. I'm more old fashioned I guess, but as long as they understand the difference between fantasy and reality like Alien Substance said, that's all that matters
"Which age is appropriate for what"
Age is a mere number, attached to how long we've been living on this Earth.
You can't stamp a number on psychological maturity and call it a day; it varies for each child.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
"Which age is appropriate for what"
Age is a mere number, attached to how long we've been living on this Earth.
You can't stamp a number on psychological maturity and call it a day; it varies for each child.
Well, it's a pretty good guideline that has worked for quite a long time. Mortal Kombat is the most violent game available, and not all kids can handle the difference between reality and fantasy. There is a reason there are labels on games as well. Naturally, it doesn't mean ALL kids but it's still a pretty good guideline.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Lol, I love it. I will say though, as my son grew up (he was born 01/01/11 like a bawse), and began to understand what was happening in MK, it had to go into another room. Basically, as soon as he could differentiate between perceiving the action on screen as moving colours and as images intended to approximate reality, I didn't think it was appropriate. With injustice, however, I don't really have an issue.

Ghosty™

Well, it's a pretty good guideline that has worked for quite a long time. Mortal Kombat is the most violent game available, and not all kids can handle the difference between reality and fantasy. There is a reason there are labels on games as well. Naturally, it doesn't mean ALL kids but it's still a pretty good guideline.
A guideline, but I don't think it should be used as anything more than that. Sorry I can't give proper input, as I wasn't around in those days, not till Mortal Kombat: Trilogy.
I'm sure some games rival MK, but that doesn't matter in this discussion.
Of course not all kids can handle it, it's up to the parents/guardians to properly guide and judge them.
Labels to warn. They don't stop the foolish from purchasing these games for the offspring they do not adequately tend to, but at least these warnings help the parents who do care.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Lol, I love it. I will say though, as my son grew up (he was born 01/01/11 like a bawse), and began to understand what was happening in MK, it had to go into another room. Basically, as soon as he could differentiate between perceiving the action on screen as moving colours and as images intended to approximate reality, I didn't think it was appropriate. With injustice, however, I don't really have an issue.

Ghosty™
That's kind of how I feel too. IGAU and SF are not too bad, but MK i worry about. I get super pissed when my mom babysits and watches movies w/violence. She's 2 and sings songs from sesame street, points at things on the TV so I know she can see what's going on and I don't feel right w/violence.

Everybody raises their kids different, just my 2 cents. Ultimately parents know their own kids better than we do, my 2 year old is a girl so maybe it's different for me:(

Alien Substance. Exactly, that's why I like the labels. I just don't like when video game companies are blamed for violence, but at the same time, parents let their kids play super violent games, they do violent things then ask where they learned that from. You can't have both. And ultimately, every kid is different and I'm sure there are kids who can maturely handle games, I just don't like taking chances, I'm old fashioned I suppose

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
That's kind of how I feel too. IGAU and SF, but I get super pissed when my mom babysits and watches movies w/violence. She's 2 and sings songs from sesame street, points at things on the TV so I know she can see what's going on and I don't feel right w/violence.

Everybody raises their kids different, just my 2 cents. Ultimately parents know their own kids better than we do, my 2 year old is a girl so maybe it's different for me:(

Alien Substance. Exactly, that's why I like the labels. I just don't like when video game companies are blamed for violence, but at the same time, parents let their kids play super violent games, they do violent things then ask where they learned that from. You can't have both. And ultimately, every kid is different and I'm sure there are kids who can maturely handle games, I just don't like taking chances, I'm old fashioned I suppose
The gender of the child in question isn't really a factor for me. But, I think we have the right attitude in saying: let the parents make the choices that are right for their own children.

Ghosty™

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
what would you guys say if i said my 10 month old girl will watch MK matches over My Little Pony episodes?
MK has a lot more action going on and multiple colors, kids will naturally be attracted to it. We're just debating whether it's appropriate that's all. Like I said, you know your own kids better than I do, just giving my 2 cents. My 2 year old daughter has seen me play IGAU but I don't keep it on for long. She enjoys sesame street more than anything on planet earth so I put that on for her. I personally would never put on MK cause I feel it's a hardcore game meant for adults, but that's me:(

Video games are blamed for violence by the irrational humans.
>"Sure there are kids who can maturely handle games"
Take me, for instance. Rockin' all the main MK games, starting from MK4 and onward, during my childhood.
>"Don't like taking chances"
You are only being cautious for your kid; you care, and that's what matters.

MK has a lot more action going on and multiple colors, kids will naturally be attracted to it. We're just debating whether it's appropriate that's all. Like I said, you know your own kids better than I do, just giving my 2 cents. My 2 year old daughter has seen me play IGAU but I don't keep it on for long. She enjoys sesame street more than anything on planet earth so I put that on for her. I personally would never put on MK cause I feel it's a hardcore game meant for adults, but that's me:(
i wish my kids were into sesame street…its all bakugan and beyblade and i just dont understand… and oddly enough, the 10 m.o. has no interest in igau.