What's new

Germany makes college education free

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
As a former student with a masters degree in engineering, I'll trade my debt for higher taxes. I'd likely be paying less monthly than I currently do in loan payments and I would be investing in making people that I have to deal with on a daily basis less fucking dumb.
...Or, you know, they could stop spending so much on the get and secure more oil defense budget. Either way, I'm down.
You're not gonna be seeing this shit in the US any time ever though. They can't even agree on what bills to talk about, let alone pass something. The empire has fallen.
Not to mention the dumb shit like, "WE NEED MOAR TANKS" *walks in Army general* "Listen guys, we appreciate the concern, but we literally have so many weaponized vehicles that we are having trouble finding room for everything. You should put the money towards some infrastructure like the people ne- "Oh, what's that? Sorry, we couldn't hear you, we were too busy signing the MOAR TANKS bill"

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
How do you English over there? do you have to know some German or are there specific English classes?
I know a little bit of German, but the program I'm studying is all in English. They also give you German courses to help you with the day-to-day life.

I read a statistic a few months ago which showed that in the US student loan debt has actually surpassed credit card debt. That's pretty insane when you think about it. Part of me thinks it might actually be the trigger for the next big economic crash just like what happened with the housing market. The way we handle it is dumb.

actually it was always free until like 2007. then a fee of 500€ every half year got introduced, but got dropped by many universities shortly after (it just lasted for the time i studied lol). if its free now again it means returning to normality. the thought behind it is to have education for every talented person, not just the rich, so afterwards not only the rich get influential positions and only make politics for themselves.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
(Sorry for my poor English)
It's just a point of vue. I live in the south part of Belgium (Wallonie), and I think Angela Merkel's Germany is just a capitalist country where people are underpaid and it's a country who ruins European people by making absurd laws about debts and shit like that...
From a Belgian point of vue, the American system is just unbelievable... Everyone should have the right to have education and healthcare no matter if they are rich or poor...
I suppose Belgium (or Europe in general) would be seen by the US as a socialo-communist shitplace...
Belgium is heading the same way as germany. Belgium is now being lead by politicians who think that economy will grow if they let the rich ppl and companys recieve more money and everyone else PAY more money
Belgium is fucked, just like germany.

A couple of examples for changes in Belgium:

-College more expensive.
-Healthcare more expensive.
-Water and electricity more expensive.
-No more free public transport for +65 ppl
-age raised from 65 to 67 to be able to go on retirement
-when having no job, tou can be forced to work for free to be able to recieve money
-a whole bunch of other things that will cost more

The good thing tough, companys wont pay more taxes, they hardly pay any taxes anyway and get rewarded.

I live in a country with a goverment who thinks its your own fault if your poor.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Belgium is heading the same way as germany. Belgium is now being lead by politicians who think that economy will grow if they let the rich ppl and companys recieve more money and everyone else PAY more money

-College more expensive.
-when having no job, tou can be forced to work for free to be able to recieve money

The good thing tough, companys wont pay more taxes, they hardly pay any taxes anyway and get rewarded.

I live in a country with a goverment who thinks its your own fault if your poor.
That sounds like the U.S, lol

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?

-College more expensive.

sounds a lot like ireland , HAIL EUROPEAN UNION

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/01/pf/taxes/top-income-tax/

I know it's hard to comprehend for someone who most likely never paid a cent in taxes but if you take the time to examine evidence; you might get a little farther in life.

Good day, ol' chum.

this chart shows that Germany has a Tax Rate of 48% (but offers free college) and the US of A at 44% (but bends you over and ass rapes you for college)...

Give me an extra 4% tax rate for Free College....

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
In belgium we pay almost 60% tax.

Not so long ago some big banks here almost went bankrupt, so they helped the banks with our taxmoney. And now we even have to pay more and banks are still gambling with our money. Unbelievable...

Whats even more funny is that the biggest companies in belgium almost pay 0% taxes when making millions of profit.Reason? Because if they let them pay more taxes they would move to other country....horseshit!

Im gonna say we have it as bad as the usa if things going into this capitalistic direction.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Should be this way everywhere, it's an easy and good investment for the state.

1) State pays for education (or subsidizes it), Citizens able to easily aquire professional skills
2) With professional skills, they get jobs that pay more than non-trained skills
3) With the larger pay, the government is able to collect more in taxes, thus getting a return on their investment over time

It's a much healthier system as opposed to suffocating citizens in student loans.
aka... being the Mob.

i wrote a research paper comparing how Mobs operate compared to Government loans.

It is why you shouldn't go to college unless someone else pays for it.

aka... being the Mob.
Trigger warning for those who hate the bullcrap economic system in the United States

So I stated that the German system works, because they make their money back as a sort of "loan" itself. Citizens are educated, citizens get better jobs, citizens able to go to higher income bracket, citizens pay more taxes with their high income, and hence the loan is repaid via that way to the Government. Everyone's happy, and the system works as a sort of "long term tax-loan" as opposed to "private loan"

The reason it works with government and not with a private sector is the way the government is paid back is via their increased tax revenue from you assuming you get a better paying job due to the education. A private student loan means you have to pay it back no matter what, even if the loan wasn't fruitful and the education didn't net you a high-paying job

So you see, the problem with private student loans, is you owe money back whether or not you get a good job that pays well. If you go to college for 4 years on student loans, and the economy tanks afterwards (poor saps who graduated in 2007), you're screwed and just need to hope you get lucky. You still have to pay that loan back and it's going to be painful because the economy is crap.

However, with the government subsidizing loans, and expecting to get a return on their investment via taxing you once your high-paying job puts you in a wealthier income bracket, that means you are only paying back the loan if the loan worked in the first place.

The government has an incentive to keep the economy going, because they lose their investment if they can't get high paying, taxable jobs for the workers they educate. Whereas here, the students take the hit if the economy is crap, the government takes the hit because the students don't get to a higher income and can't be taxed as much, but the companies doing the student loan get away scott free. There's so little consequence for the debtors to care about whether the people they lend to succeed or not. Often they've made back their money even if you end up not being able to pay it off on time or not. No skin off their back, and it allows them to be absolutely absurd in how they structure their loans.

It's really absurd how we keep it this way. Part of the problem is we have a regressive tax system in many states. That is, certain states actually have the rich paying LESS tax than the poor. So what incentive does the state have to get you an education for a job that gets you to a higher income bracket, when in fact they will not make a substantial income increase for doing so? They're perfectly intent on allowing their citizens to be without college education, because they don't tax the rich anyway. The United States in general is so bad on the Gini index (income inequality) due to our notoriously low taxes on the wealthy by way of loopholes. so the whole system I described above, where the government makes a return on their investment by allowing their citizens to prosper- doesn't even freaking work because our tax code is so weighted towards making money off the middle-class as opposed to the top earners.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Trigger warning for those who hate the bullcrap economic system in the United States

So I stated that the German system works, because they make their money back as a sort of "loan" itself. Citizens are educated, citizens get better jobs, citizens able to go to higher income bracket, citizens pay more taxes with their high income, and hence the loan is repaid via that way to the Government. Everyone's happy, and the system works as a sort of "long term tax-loan" as opposed to "private loan"

The reason it works with government and not with a private sector is the way the government is paid back is via their increased tax revenue from you assuming you get a better paying job due to the education. A private student loan means you have to pay it back no matter what, even if the loan wasn't fruitful and the education didn't net you a high-paying job

So you see, the problem with private student loans, is you owe money back whether or not you get a good job that pays well. If you go to college for 4 years on student loans, and the economy tanks afterwards (poor saps who graduated in 2007), you're screwed and just need to hope you get lucky. You still have to pay that loan back and it's going to be painful because the economy is crap.

However, with the government subsidizing loans, and expecting to get a return on their investment via taxing you once your high-paying job puts you in a wealthier income bracket, that means you are only paying back the loan if the loan worked in the first place.

The government has an incentive to keep the economy going, because they lose their investment if they can't get high paying, taxable jobs for the workers they educate. Whereas here, the students take the hit if the economy is crap, the government takes the hit because the students don't get to a higher income and can't be taxed as much, but the companies doing the student loan get away scott free. There's so little consequence for the debtors to care about whether the people they lend to succeed or not. Often they've made back their money even if you end up not being able to pay it off on time or not. No skin off their back, and it allows them to be absolutely absurd in how they structure their loans.

It's really absurd how we keep it this way. Part of the problem is we have a regressive tax system in many states. That is, certain states actually have the rich paying LESS tax than the poor. So what incentive does the state have to get you an education for a job that gets you to a higher income bracket, when in fact they will not make a substantial income increase for doing so? They're perfectly intent on allowing their citizens to be without college education, because they don't tax the rich anyway. The United States in general is so bad on the Gini index (income inequality) due to our notoriously low taxes on the wealthy by way of loopholes. so the whole system I described above, where the government makes a return on their investment by allowing their citizens to prosper- doesn't even freaking work because our tax code is so weighted towards making money off the middle-class as opposed to the top earners.
*high mother fucking five*

Well said. Just. Well said.