What's new

Geras Lao JIK Tick Throw Tech

There is a mechanic in MK1 that came from MK11 to keep JIK from being overhead before the character is fall downward. So his JIK from Kung Lao Teleport and jump ins if timed right is a MID meaning it's not UpBlockable.
You can do this from full screen after they throw a projectile or are in some kind of recovery or on a read.

His JIK is +3 to +7 but you can consistently make it +5 and this makes it very scary for your opponent since Geras has tick throws. This baits UpBlock and punishes hard, this can loop and if you time it right on their wakeup you can repeat Lao teleport into JIK/body splash jump in and many Armor wakeups will go past you allowing punish on their recovery.
This creates a Respect my JIK or else situation where there is counters for but it's scary for opponent to make those reads:
His F1 is 11f MID that can be ticked on F1 and F12
Now off the JIK you can jail the Tick essentially since it's a 11f MID and your +5 to +6 consistently making it a 5-6f window for them to do something against F1 and much less time for your D1/D3/D4 tick:
And to further complicate it for your opponent, you can go from JIK linked to his F12 with no gap between JIK into F1 and have multiple ways to Mix so they never know when your doing the tick and if you're doing Lao Hat or if you're continuing pressure or wave dashing into Lao hat HTB setup:
If you hit on F12 you can do a Kombo into setup or just cash out with whatever F12 combo you have:
So think JIK-TickThrow the counter is duck CMD Grab but they have to guess between JIKtick and JIKF1, then they can Armor F1(gap)2 but you can mix F1 into block baiting Armor or just do JIKTick and if they UpBlock the mid kick it's over

It's a situational thing but I feel it's very strong and it's as good as any 50/50

Anyone else got some Geras Tech?

Last edited:
I dont play geras but great stuff i never even thought about baiting upblock with early jump normals
I didn't play him either but he has a crazy kit, he has so many good tools you can play him so many ways. He is a deep character with cool animations. You should pick him up

Off F12 11f Mid 38-41%:
Off B12 16f advancing Mid 43%:
Midscreen off F24 42%:

I was gonna say the same that I don’t use Geras, only have used him in the Combo Trials. But this is good tech. Also good quality @Bulletz4Breakfast
Thanks man, I just seen a ForeverKing clip fighting Destroyer with Geras using those Time Stop/Snap combos and wanted to learn him.
If you haven't used him definitely experiment with him, he has so much stuff.
This is the only MK where I've had fun using so many characters.

never even thought about baiting upblock
And BTW none of my clips are punishing Upblock so you can do a lot more damage than shown while keeping them in corner, I just didn't have AI recorded to UpBlock I was doing to many things.
Geras gets 19% off his CMD Grabs if he is in the corner and throws them out. And you're put at the perfect distance to B12 might even be able to wiff F1 and Connect the last hit of F12 into Tick Throw again lol since normally you need to be closer to use that string and it removes the armor gap in F12
F12 is punishable on block so you normally have to finish with F12Throw/1+3 or do your Tick
He does have a 50/50 but I'd only use it with Lao hat held so you make the overhead safe and HTB, it's a 19f startup body slam splat and his F44 is autopilot low, low Mid that's cancelable but I just use Low Hat after F44 and you can combo off it with F24 into pretty high damage and it's +2 on block. So it's essentially the easiest OS known to man.

Since he's +2 after low hat that makes a 2 frame window for them to press S1/poke and that's scary for them since he can tick off his D1, D3 and D4 lol
If you remember Kotal in MK11 he had a Tick off his Low starter, D1 and D4 and the community complained until it was removed, well Geras has ticks on much more.
Be aware they can Armor through F1(gap)Tick and F12(gap)Tick and Armor between F1(gap)2
But the JIK from Lao teleport that I discovered has no Gap from JIK3xxDF2/DB2

Last edited:
@Juggs @fr stack
I can't believe it, either my game was glitched last night or it got patched.
The MID JIK is now UpBlockable and it wasn't last night?
Check your game, maybe mine is bugging.
Here's a MID JIK being UpBlocked:

Anyways here's a workaround to that Update/Glitch, so you can do something very similar and it works off the same conditioning fear of punishing Upblock.

It is very hard to react to fast version of Lao Teleport instead of longer Held version of Lao teleport where you get to BodySplash(D+2)/JIK/JIP:
I've already pulled it off in KL 3 times in a row and now it's FT2 they don't have time to adapt to you slightly changing the Mix, they where so afraid of UpBlock they just ate the Empty teleport into CMD Grabs and you get the UpBlock punish damage boost + the throw out of corner Geras damage boost!

But now that I've tested it more I believe his BodySplash (D+2) is a better option over JIK/JIP, it covers more area and is disjointed where if let's say Kung Lao does his Armor or advancing button it has a better chance to wiff.
But here's the same tech but with Body punch after you've conditioned them to be afraid of Empty jump. Since UpBlock timing for Late(Overhead JIK/BodySplash) is over 10 frames later than Early MID JIK/BodySplash, this actually makes them miss their UpBlock and they are stuck in animation of it if you BodySplash directly into F1xxDB2(TickThrow)

I’m trying to use this online. I get uppercutted on reaction every time…..
When they throw Projectile and are in recovery Lao gives you armor on startup then they don't have time to uppercut.
After you hard knock them down you can also do it before their wakeup.
You can also do it at end of combos just cutting it short at end of command grab before the last punch and you JIK on their wakeup.

I'll try to make a video if you need it. You do your normal combo and end in DF2 then before the last part where sand clone punches them to ground you hold R1 for JID+2 Lao Teleport then do D+2xxF12xxBF1 Lao Teleport
Or D+2xxF1xxDF2 (50% total from first combo) and Lao teleport leaves you in their face on OKI for mix instead of being full screen.