What's new

Geras General Discussion

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
What do people think about the Ermac matchup? Could still be early unfamiliarity but I honestly hate it, feels like his buttons are just way better all around.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Mavado adds some nice stuff to Geras setplay wise. His backthrow can finally become a launcher with kameo, and his command grab is a full on launcher in the corner. That -100 health is absolutely terrifying though, especially for a Kameo that doesn't offer any help in neutral.

Also I tried experimenting with Rewind Cancelling Mavado's Pushblock, didn't find anything useful there.

i was thinking mavado might be the first kameo to make me want to leave stryker due to his block cancel escape, but it doesn't really work how i expected and he doesn't help in neutral, so, here i am still with stryker haha. mavado is a snowball/2-touch kill/escape kameo, and i think that's really good for a lot of characters, but i don't particularly think it's what geras needs. seems really fun and strong with some other characters though

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
i was thinking mavado might be the first kameo to make me want to leave stryker due to his block cancel escape, but it doesn't really work how i expected and he doesn't help in neutral, so, here i am still with stryker haha. mavado is a snowball/2-touch kill/escape kameo, and i think that's really good for a lot of characters, but i don't particularly think it's what geras needs. seems really fun and strong with some other characters though
850 health is also a serious problem, especially with a kameo that doesn't provide meterless means for building lots of hourglass charges in combos like Motaro / Lao. 900 with Motaro is already pretty brutal.

I've been maining Stryker with him for like 6 months, I don't really mind having less health as long as I'm getting clocks up. Imo rewinding/breaking out of a combo is effectively the same as gaining the amount of life you would have lost in the combo, so Geras pretty often has an effective total health of like 1300 or more per round.

As for Mavado's utility otherwise, after labbing it more I think he might be good for Geras after all! He helps build clocks in combos well, pretty simple series of just B12 xx clock while calling Mavado ground bounce lets you keep the juggle going into S12 ex freeze, etc. He converts weird hits into damage and oki, like if tornado hits anywhere you can turn it into a ground bounce into inevitable etc. More importantly his move that slams you together with the opp gives big meaty plus frames on hit and good plus frames on block, and his mine creates an in escapable launcher when placed just before F12 xx command grab.

I usually pick assists for safety and neutral, hence Stryker but also I played Kano before that. Mavado can't make tornado safe on block, so although it's nice to get combos out of, it's still a big risk in many matchups. But I can see this being good on a Geras playstyle that's more committal. I'm gonna give him a good try for a while, we'll see.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
s mine creates an in escapable launcher when placed just before F12 xx command grab.
I was labbing this yesterday. Unfortunately it isn't inescapable at all. You can easily armor out of it, but even more damning you can just purposely get hit by the 2 and this will make both Geras' command grab and Mavado's mine whiff giving them a free punish

Did you record dummy Geras to do the setup and try to get out of it yourself? I saw the CPU duck it as well when I did the setup against it, but when I recorded it and tried to escape it myself, I couldn't find the right timing. Good work if you did though

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Did you record dummy Geras to do the setup and try to get out of it yourself? I saw the CPU duck it as well when I did the setup against it, but when I recorded it and tried to escape it myself, I couldn't find the right timing. Good work if you did though
Yeah. I think at best, this is just gonna add to Geras's guessing game. But That health nerf doesn't make this worth it imo.

I post how to get out of it in the middle of this video