What's new

General Shao General Discussion

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ok so, i found some game changing stuff in the corner, with our beloved general. Check this out.

We do our standard bnb combo and we finish it with 224 (no axe) into ES. It destroys armored wake-up attacks. Tested against SZ's slide. Worked every time.

Also tested against JC Shadow Kick, which i think is the fastest (?) special in the game (8 frames start-up). Here you need to change the ender into 22xES. Depends on how you started the combo, cause of gravity in the end.

You can also use the enhanced version of ES to re-launch your opponent into another combo. Which means almost 80% of the opponents bar is gone. In both scenarios, even if they block the ES you are safe.

If they decide to delay stand, you can cancel the ES into the Motaro kameo teleport to become safe in most cases.

General has become even more fucked up in the corner now.

P.S: ES= Axe Quake.

Last edited:

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Ok so, i found some game changing stuff in the corner, with our beloved general. Check this out.

We do our standard bnb combo and we finish it with 224 (no axe) into ES. It destroys armored wake-up attacks. Tested against SZ's slide. Worked every time.

Also tested against JC Shadow Kick, which i think is the fastest (?) special in the game (8 frames start-up). Here you need to change the ender into 22xES. Depends on how you started the combo, cause of gravity in the end.

You can also use the enhanced version of ES to re-launch your opponent into another combo. Which means almost 80% of the opponents bar is gone. In both scenarios, even if they block the ES you are safe.

If they decide to delay stand, you can cancel the ES into the Motaro kameo teleport to become safe in most cases.

General has become even more fucked up in the corner now.

P.S: ES= Axe Quake.
Love that shao is a snowballing momentum character. Feels right.

NoCharge

Noob
Sooo, what is Shao supposed to be? I'm pretty sure people likr Raiden and Kenshi will get nerfed, but what doed Shao need to get better? Imo only a damage buff. 40% meterless will do the trick, or bring back armored launcher.

Sooo, what is Shao supposed to be? I'm pretty sure people likr Raiden and Kenshi will get nerfed, but what doed Shao need to get better? Imo only a damage buff. 40% meterless will do the trick, or bring back armored launcher.
The game is still brand new but he seems pretty strong imo.
I honestly dont think he needs anything to be viable.

I like that he doesnt have to rely on meter or kameos too much to get his damage and his corner game is godlike.

That said, my shao wishlist would be:
  1. Make b1 12 frames
  2. Give b4 slightly more range
  3. Make b2 20 frames

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
A faster mid is really the only thing he's really lacking. But he has a great stagger and jailing game compared to MK11 so it's not the hindrance it was before. The character already has great normals, mixups, mobility, and damage. One of the better reversals in the game, a damage buff that's 100% viable to get, maybe one of the best crossups in the game, and that sweet s2. He's not reliant on one Kameo function either so he has options there too

I like that he doesnt have to rely on meter or kameos too much to get his damage and his corner game is godlike.

1. Make b1 12 frames
  3. Make b2 20 frames
I would welcome those changes but they are so mild they probably won't change his position on the tier list. The thing is he is a merely good character in a game full of broken shit. None of what you said will help him deal with something like a sento sandwich or a Baraka 50% midscreen combo into 10% cyrax chip dmg.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
None of what you said will help him deal with something like a sento sandwich or a Baraka 50% midscreen combo into 10% cyrax chip dmg.
You can flawless block Cyrax assist and negate the chip.

Does anyone have something that'd get them out of a Sento sammy scot-free? Isn't that the reason Kenshi is debatably Top 1?

1. Make b1 12 frames
  3. Make b2 20 frames
I like him how he is, but I am someone who doesn't really like broken characters.
That being said his Fatal Blow kinda sucks, it seems impossible to combo in to it.

Last edited:
I would welcome those changes but they are so mild they probably won't change his position on the tier list. The thing is he is a merely good character in a game full of broken shit. None of what you said will help him deal with something like a sento sandwich or a Baraka 50% midscreen combo into 10% cyrax chip dmg.
Yeah, thats real. Like I said, I don't think he needs to change too much.

To be fair, I think Baraka & Kenshi are also strong but those matchups don't feel unwinable to the point where I think shao needs something to help him compete.

Especially the Baraka matchup.

Beating the cyrax chip has already been pointed out. Barakas damage is absurd, no doubt, but he has to take a lot of risk to get in and he doesn't have the movement shao has. His damage is also tied to cyrax so he also doesnt have much in the way of utility. I play shao/lao and low hat all day to bait jumps or other risky shit. Then baraka has to keep guessing right or break the combo and reset to full screen where I rinse and repeat. Don't let him gas you. You don't have to play his game.

I haven't played any good kenshi's yet so I havent really labbed him.

The Raiden matchup kinda sucks, not gunna lie, but if Shao can get going, my mans gotta guess like everyone else.

I love Shao's jump 2 so much. He easily has the best jump 2 in the game and it's not even close. Really significant part of his kit imo. What I like to do is after a blocked b2 or 2, I like to jump in immediately after with air 2 and you hit cross up from that range.

NoCharge

Noob
Tbh, I can forgive this bug, since its not that easy to find, and probably specific to this gamescode, and will hopefully be fixed. What I cannot forgive is the lack of qol options that were present even in MK11 but are not here. It is pretty clear the game was rushed and more focused on the gameplay, but little things make the bigger picture.

I got annihilated by a Baraka/Cyrax because it feels like Shao just has no option for the pressure (other than Flawless Block to negate the chip). The only way I've been able to take a game is by not letting them get away with dumb shit. It's feeling like Baraka just gets to do things and Shoa can't do anything about it. Is there something I'm missing?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I got annihilated by a Baraka/Cyrax because it feels like Shao just has no option for the pressure (other than Flawless Block to negate the chip). The only way I've been able to take a game is by not letting them get away with dumb shit. It's feeling like Baraka just gets to do things and Shoa can't do anything about it. Is there something I'm missing?
Flawless blocking is your way around the chip. Baraka is an early top tier for a reason and most characters struggle to get him off of them, but adding that to your defense will negate a lot of what makes him so dominant right now.

After you block him out, he has to poke with B4 and 21, the latter being pretty easy to whiff punish and starts with a high. Poking him with d4, then microdashing on hit to jail with 22 is something I usually go for. Shao is also better than most at challenging his b3 alone, since 22 reaches so far. As far as f3 goes, you'll just have to try and react, but that's the character. When in doubt, Shao's reversal is super fast and converts into a little combo if it hits first, which happens more often than you might think

There's no one solution to his pressure, but it's Bo5 so you have time to figure out what they're going for and counter it.