What's new

General discussion Tech/Strategy/Questions

Hey, this essay was actually worth reading and factual. He's right. Scorpion has no effective means of keep away...NRS shouldn't have made his pokes so colossally failsauce but they did. I guess they figured he deserves shitty pokes due to his horribly punishable vortex?

Makes no sense to me, but hey, neither did the inability to fix Smoke and Cyrax. Also, SPECIAL FORCES FUCK YEAH!
I gave in and read it, and I disagree. Though I did learn that scorpions D4 is 0 on hit and that that is ridiculous, this new knowledge still does not make me care.

LEGEND

YES!
Oh boy, theory fighting at its finest.

First off, Scorpion is not keeping out anyone with a grab. He has NO footsie tools to supplement it. A character like Sektor or Ermac can get away with dash up grab because they have specials that can commit your opponent to blocking on approach, but Scorpion really has no safe way of doing this to you. At best, he has D4 takedown and F4 takedown, both of which leave him right up in your face at -4, where you have to respect a poke followup. Committing to that basically sets yourself up for an attack and grab mixup. Suffice to say, neither of these is a compelling poke tool.

Better yet, air throw? Why is Scorpion trying to "keep the opponent away" with his air throw? Either you're suggesting that you should AA with it, or that you should just jump at your opponent in an attempt to air throw them, neither of which is even remotely sensible. Scorpion's best AA options are standing 1, D1 and B2. If he absolutely needs the consistency, he can just uppercut. There is no reason to be using his air throw outside of combos, or jumpkick air throw.

Here's a great one: His D4. What are you going to accomplish by playing keepaway with this? It's ZERO on hit. Scorpion mains constantly complain about this, and I can't blame them. It has decent speed and great reach, but he's not establishing anything with a D4. At best, he's just momentarily stalling his opponent or interrupting one action, but no one save for Mileena and Sonya can use their D4s as a significant footsie tool. Those characters have D4s with decent hit advantage, and much more generous hitboxes. EX teleport doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either. Unless you really cannot afford to eat a hellfire, there is just NO reason to jump against Scorpion from that distance.

Bottom line: NONE of this works. I can't think of a single decent character this would even be effective against. Rushdown characters like Cage, Sonya and Liu Kang give him trouble. Zoners like Kabal, Kitana, Kenshi, Cyrax, Mileena, Reptile and Sektor can beat Scorpion by rushing him down. I wouldn't even be surprised if Freddy could. In fact, name me more than three or four characters this can be effective against, with your arguments for each. I can't see this working on anyone outside the bottom tier, in which case it isn't effective because it's a sound strategy; it's effective because your opponent's character just isn't good enough to exploit the holes in it.
DIDNT READ

it works, not as a stand alone style but as something you flow in and out of to keep your opponent on their toes. Can't zone him as he backs away, Can't jump at him without major risk, can't safely stay grounded and dash in. Its not bad

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
vs Kano, I'd just play it normal and forget the runaway.
Once you get full screen, you're not going to get a spear in due to Knife recovery.
If your hellfire is read, you're eating a straightball.
You could probably Enh Hellfire, but if you're wasting meter on that you're already in trouble.

You're better off getting in, playing footsies, and going for the vortex.
The more space you create running, the more you're playing into Kano's game.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Yeah scorpion does well against people trying to zone him like slips said. Reo even came to the conclusion that he is much better off coming in on scorpion than trying to zone him with kabal because really, wtf is scorpion going to do when kabal gets in close? If kabal runs away Scorpion has a shot at landing a good spear. Scorpion does not do well against people that want to come in on you.

I know in his 2, 1+2 string is extremely unsafe but 1+2 has more range than anything he has and it can be canceled into take down to make it safe. The downfall is it's slow as fuck and you have to throw out a standing 2 first. I've actually been using it to some success but I'm not sure how long thats going to last because it's terrible on whiff and takes too long to come out. The fucked up thing is you know scorpion is fucked up if he has to resort to shit like that lol. I only use it to get close and start a guessing game.

lol at scorpions terrible footsies. Really pretty much every character out ranges his normals, you cant even punish a fucking d+1 with 3,3 because it doesn't reach far enough after the pushback.

aj1701

Noob
Dude I just played a SinWatcher today... he sucked. I beat him down with Cyrax and he left first round, then proceed to try and call me out in the chat room: "THANKS FOR THE WIN, NEXT LOSER PLEASE" etc. Im sitting there flabbergasted... I was so confused, I actually thought I did lose to him... then another guy told him to "stfu because he left too" lol
LMAO. Yup, that's him! Complete douche and scrub. He also likes to try and teabag midmatch, and he has just the slightest lag to mess you up. I played him first month ago, and first he beat the hell out of me. Then I figured him out and went on a winning streak. Finally he rage quit. Now he only fights me once, and rage quits. That's how he has the record he does.

He never changes his strat; its always runaway Scrop (after getting a life lead), and the only reason he can get it to work is from lag. There's a video on my YouTube channel of a recent match with him. I bet the runaway would be more effective he if would do more than a 111 combo once he hits you.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Do you guys think I should eventually pack all my info into a video? You know for the people you dont like to read lol
Not a bad idea. You can get help easyer. People can see what you are doing wrong or what is that what you are missing.

ROEBOTRON

"Only One Truth Prevails"
Do you need to record more? or, you just havent decided weather or not you will be uploading more vids yet?

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
The panic teleport
This is the be all end all new players demise. I can't tell you how many smokes ermacs, sektors, noobs, and scorpions, make this mistake. Nothing is better to see after I combo you then the teleport animation soon to be followed by you spinning in the air off of my block waiting to be combo'd yet again.... STOP!! I know taking pressure is nerve wracking but so does your opponent and their banking on you panicking and trying to teleport your way out.

9 times out of 10 your not going to surprise them with a teleport either..... Use teleports for aa with the right timing for a combo set up, use teleports if you read pressure and know it's going to hit, or use them right before you land for a safe landing into pressure on the other side (This is tricky to pull off at times)... BUT STOP THROWING THEM AFTER GETTING COMBO'D STOP USING THEM TO START MATCHES, AND STOP USING THEM TO "BREAK SILENCE" AS YOU WILL SOON EAT ANOTHER COMBO.
Oh my God,
If someone could PLEASE get this through to my brother for his Noob Saibot game I'd love you forever. We've been playing this game since launch and he does so many things well but can be absolutely brain-dead at times and do "the panic teleport" and also throw Shadow Tackles at close/mid range.

It's_so_maddening!

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
This is the most well-written and informative guide for a character I have ever seen.

This would have been a lot easier to let Parched read than expecting him to be patient and listen to what you were saying.

KARS = The Straight Gangsta of MK9 Online

I am fairly new to MK9, i've played all the other mortal kombats, but i've never looked up guides on web forums etc. If anyone could clarify acronyms, numbers. lil buttons and their meanings for me. That'd be great.

Also, If you play Xbox 360
add me KrazieDave666