What's new

Game balance aside, what are your most and least favorite variations in the game?

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Favorites:
Necromancer (BONE HANDS)
War God (PADDLE!)
Possessed (Nice looking visuals)
Ronin
Hish-Qu-Ten (Deal with it)
Cybernetic
Gunslinger
All of Tremor's variations

Least Favorites:
Slasher
Tempest
Covert Ops
Balanced
Mournful
Ancestral
Kobu Jutsu
Commando
Outlaw
Any of Raiden's variations

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
To play, Royal Storm is my favorite followed closely with Pyromancer, Covert Ops, Piercing, Thunder God. Bojutsu gets a bad wrap, but it really is fun to play and the combos are satisfying.

I don't play it, but the swaggiest of all variations has to go to Dragon Naginata without a doubt... seriously looks so cool and is totally unique.

Worst

Mournful is a sucky concept and Kitana was robbed of a variation.
Spectral. As soon as I saw it before the game came out, I knew it was never going to work.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Favorite:
Balanced Kenshi: I love everything about the variation except for how it sucks and isnt viable in the slightest
Lasher Takeda: I love everything about this variation
Noxious Reptile: Not showering is a real strategy guise!!!
Gunslinger Erron: Clint Fucking Eastwood
Least Favorite:
Brood Mother: She looks so wrong without the hood

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Favorites:
Ethereal- The safest Mileena will ever be
Draginata- Love the pogo
Mournful- The closest I can get to Jade in this game (lazy hoamage btw)
Ninjitsu- I've been messing with this variation recently and like it
Dragon Fang- I like the sound affects of the blade hitting

Least favorites:
Marksman, and Outlaw- where's his hat?

I'm indifferent to the rest

Favorite:
All variations of Quan Chi :)
Sun God Kotal Kahn - the animation ("On your knees!") and the sound effect when he burns you is awesome.
HQT Predator - that plasma cannon is exactly like in the movie, NRS did a great job on this character
Crystalline Tremor - the sound effects are really cool, plus the enhanced Ground Burst (all his variations)
Marksman Erron Black - is really great with that shot gun
Ethereal Mileena - that teleport
Relentless or Unstoppable Jason idk - the one with the cool teleport in the mist
Lasher and SR Takeda - those metal wips or whatever they are, cool
Grandmaster Sub - always loved the clone in all MK games

Least Favorite:
All variations of Tanya - the most boring character in the game
Dragon Fire Liu Kang - because I hate fighting him and i get pummeled often by him
Jacqui Briggs (all variations) - very uninspired character IMO
Displacer Raiden - very awkward variation and pretty ineffective

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Favorites:

All variations of Kung Jin. :p Especially in Shaolin where he gains a low profiling chakram projectile and an upkick move that functions well as a solid AA tool. Aesthetically most pleasing wise, it would have to be Ancestral for me due to its flashy combos and colorful arrow display.

Ethereal Mileena. Watching Saltface play her is the biggest reason why I got into dabbling with this variation in the first place.

Dragon Naginata Tanya. I like how she uses the naginata as a pole and acrobatically dances with it.

Cybernetic Kano. The knives, the lasers, and the sound he makes when slashing his opponent with his elbows.

Other honorable mentions:

Special Forces "Droneya" Sonya.
Hollywood Cassie Cage.
Balanced/Possessed Kenshi.

Least favorites:

Bone Shaper Shinnok. Purely from a spectating standpoint, I think it's obvious why.

Kobu Jutsu Tanya. For the same reason as above.

Tempest Kung Lao. Are you guys noticing a pattern here yet? =P

The above variations can be pretty uninteresting to watch, but they get the job done very efficiently. I guess it evens out after all.

Last edited:
2nd least fav is Inferno. It's very out of character for Scorpion. Pre-MKX most would never think of Scorpion as someone who has underlings to help him fight. I mean, his 2 signature moves have the purpose of getting him close to the opponent so why would he be sitting back and summoning demons?
Never saw his UMK3 fatality before?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Favs: Balanced and Fisticuffs. Both very fun to play (yeah, I tend to like low tiers xD)

Least favs: Tempest, Kobu Jutsu (and yeah, I tend to hate top tiers)

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Favorite:
Grandmaster Sub-Zero
Necromancer Shinnok
Cybernetic and Cutthroat Kano
Stunt Double Johnny Cage
Marksman Erron Black
Dualist and Dragon's Fire Roo Kang
Kotal Kahn in general
Thunder God Raiden
Crystalline Tremor
Possessed Kenshi

Least Favorite:
Tempest Kung Lao: Lots of grabs, lots of hats, lots of punches.
Balanced Kenshi: Boring
Kitana in general: Also boring
SR Takeda: Extremely obnoxious
Full Auto Jacqui: Also obnoxious
Kung Jin in general: Also also obnoxious
Kobu Jutsu: Obnoxious * 1000
HQT Predator: Pew pew pew
Commando Kano: Too much wasted potential
Reptile: Birdman/10
D'Vorah: Because people like to leave her out of top 5 discussions
Quan Chi: The problem.

i forgot to mention outlaw erron black as one of my favorites.

Based on his concept art, the outlaw variation is what really distinguishes him from a generic cowboy character/Clint Eastwood homage.

Along with his worn outfit, using the severed arm of a tarkatan warrior shows hard he has to scavenge to survive in the outworld wastelands. Then theres the pocket sand special which shows he'll use any resources he can get his hands on, like a true survivor.

Aramonde

Noob
Favorite

Quan Chi: All variations specifically Warlock. I think it fits Quan the best. I love kicking people in the ass at full screen and grabbing or throwing them through portals is fun.

Kotal Khan: All variations specifically Sun God. I love the three section grab especially the sun burning part.

Tremor: All variations specifically metallic. The lava stance looks so fucking sick!

Kenshi: Possessed - All the specials looks cool.

Erron Black: Marksman - I love the old repeater rifle.

Sub Zero: Cryomancer - Love the stabby stab stab ender and the arms.

Sonya: Special Forces - I dont like her at all but her with the drone is fun to watch.

Raiden: Master of Storms: Cool idea just wish it worked better.

Liu Kang: Dualist - Just fun to watch

Johnny Cage: Stunt Double - Fun to watch at high level

Kung Jin: Bowjutsu - I just love how that ender where he flips around looks.

Least Favorite

Tanya: Kobu Jutsu - So damn boring to watch and hard to fight.

Kung Lao: Tempest - Same reason as Tanya. I used to love his throw but Foxy has made me hate it. XD

Erron Black: Outlaw - Sonic Fox ruined him lol

(Inferno Scorpion might be put on the hate later)

Love and Hate

Shinnok: Necromancer - love everything with the arms specials is what Shinnok is about. But i cant play it because those arms are so damn goofy looking.

My most favorite aesthetically is definitely Crystalline tremor,
My most favorite TO PLAY however, has got to be cryo sub,

My least favorite is all 3 variations of tanya, because she should go back to quan chis lair, (The kitchen) as she isnt welcome here.
She can come to my lair anytime she wants if you know what i mean :DOGE now to respond to the op pyro tanya looks da best , so does dragon nagiata