• Foreshadowing

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • meh

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Ed Boon @noobde
Mortal Kombat Free-to-Play Edition. Has it come down to this? http://twitpic.com/c84w3b

I don't know how much of a hand they had in the IOS app or whatever, I mean they use the same models and I guess it is their game so the mobile version must have at least been run by them right!? I mean the pic he posted is preeeeetty much what the Injustice iOS game is, so was this a hint at what they had in the works and Boon was voicing his disapproval or was it just a little bit of hypocrisy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming the game (well I am a little because this wait time to play a single match is annoying as hell), I 'm actually quite addicted to it and haven't bought anything on it. It just struck me as a little funny I guess.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I'd guess Boon didn't want much to do with it, since he really doesn't seem the guy to say 'hmm, lets make some crappy grindy game on the IOS. Probably had WB involved more than anything.

Still, it pays the bills and might be a necessary evil.

trufenix

bye felicia
There's no comparison, the iOS app is totally free to play and no content is locked behind a pay barrier.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
There's no comparison, the iOS app is totally free to play and no content is locked behind a pay barrier.
Well you say that, but a lot of the games content is put beyond a barrier, well at least put beyond a barrier of reason. And there is a comparison, the image doesn't say "do anything costs money" it infers that if you want the cool stuff you have to pay, which is pretty much the same as the app. I get that I'm getting something for nothing here, like I said I kind like the game. I get they gotta make money.

Although some of that shit is really steep, who the hell pays £69.99 on an app? AN APP I SAY!?

trufenix

bye felicia
Well you say that, but a lot of the games content is put beyond a barrier, well at least put beyond a barrier of reason. And there is a comparison, the image doesn't say "do anything costs money" it infers that if you want the cool stuff you have to pay, which is pretty much the same as the app. I get that I'm getting something for nothing here, like I said I kind like the game. I get they gotta make money.

Although some of that shit is really steep, who the hell pays £69.99 on an app? AN APP I SAY!?
You're talking to a hardcore farmville player, I know the difference between a F2P game that fucks you and one that's just a time sink. People who don't play these things regularly are trying to burn through it for the unlocks, but this is just how the genre works. This game is 100% free, you can earn everything it has to offer by grinding, it just takes longer.

Edit: ANd really, Injustice is still almost a week and a half away. If your exposure to your phone / tablet is that low and your need for totally superfluous costumes is that high, you really need to ask yourself what your priorities are as a gamer.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I suppose this is the first sort of free-to-play thing that I've played seriously. I know very little about farmville... does it only let you play so much at a time? The waiting is what gets to me, typical impatient gamer I suppose, but I admit this game is doing well to keep me placated until the game comes out. Playing the console version actually nets you everything you could need to beat the app version really. Again, impatience I suppose.

EDIT: It started off about the costumes, but I find the game somewhat enjoyable. Helps kill time until release. Good on the train in the morning too.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
i gotta say the iOS Injustice game is nothing like this at all, i mean you earn the in game currency just by winning matches and for the first day the silver booster pack was cheap as shit (i bought 2 without spending irl money) and it had some good characters like WW in it. you really can play through this and have fun without spending a penny, i chose to spend 5 bucks and in the end my best character is one i without using any money -___-

trufenix

bye felicia
I suppose this is the first sort of free-to-play thing that I've played seriously. I know very little about farmville... does it only let you play so much at a time?
Most F2P games work one of two ways. 1) You can play for free, but large portions of the game (or superior options) are offlimits unless you pay for them. Most MMOs are like this, imposing a level / inventory / quality of gear / etc cap on free players, while allowing premium players to effectively do what they want. 2) Everyone plays pretty much the same game, free or not, but people who pay play faster. In this case, there are probably time based restrictions on actions and activities that you can circumvent via cash.

The waiting is what gets to me, typical impatient gamer I suppose, but I admit this game is doing well to keep me placated until the game comes out. Playing the console version actually nets you everything you could need to beat the app version really. Again, impatience I suppose.
To put it bluntly, that's the point. Even if you take out the fact that 90% of the people playing right now are only doing it for the rewards, not cause they like CCGs or anything. You have to keep in mind its a thing that somebody spent a lot of time to make. Somebody who has a family and a mortgage and a drinking habit. If that's going to happen, money has to come from somewhere. You buy a copy of Injustice, Amazon writes a check to WB, WB writes a check to NRS, NRS writes a check Joe Schmoe Developer. You download a free app and play it all day every day, nobody sees a red cent until you click that "recharge for 99c" button. Gods honest truth is that they didn't have to do this, the japs are making just as much of a killing putting costume pack after pack up online for premium prices, as NRS has done incentivizing people to play this goofy iOS app.

That said, the budgets on these things is way smaller cause distribution and advertisement are basically free and they probably leveraged most of the development on work done by NRS for the full game, but the market is fucking full of these things now so they gotta find a way to compete. I will grant you, a lot of them are predators, shitty products made from shitty devs just looking for a buck, but for what its worth, it looks like someone actually put some thought into the Injustice app. So wait your 3 hours like a good boy or slide them a couple bucks and take it like a man.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'd guess Boon didn't want much to do with it, since he really doesn't seem the guy to say 'hmm, lets make some crappy grindy game on the IOS. Probably had WB involved more than anything.

Still, it pays the bills and might be a necessary evil.
Woah there brother, where did you get that picture of classic Sinestro in your profile? Is that from this game?

SRP

Noob
Yea I've been playing this since yesterday and find myself constantly sitting here waiting for characters to recharge. That said I really do enjoy the game, its fun.

MoldMan

Noob
Most F2P games work one of two ways. 1) You can play for free, but large portions of the game (or superior options) are offlimits unless you pay for them. Most MMOs are like this, imposing a level / inventory / quality of gear / etc cap on free players, while allowing premium players to effectively do what they want. 2) Everyone plays pretty much the same game, free or not, but people who pay play faster. In this case, there are probably time based restrictions on actions and activities that you can circumvent via cash.

To put it bluntly, that's the point. Even if you take out the fact that 90% of the people playing right now are only doing it for the rewards, not cause they like CCGs or anything. You have to keep in mind its a thing that somebody spent a lot of time to make. Somebody who has a family and a mortgage and a drinking habit. If that's going to happen, money has to come from somewhere. You buy a copy of Injustice, Amazon writes a check to WB, WB writes a check to NRS, NRS writes a check Joe Schmoe Developer. You download a free app and play it all day every day, nobody sees a red cent until you click that "recharge for 99c" button. Gods honest truth is that they didn't have to do this, the japs are making just as much of a killing putting costume pack after pack up online for premium prices, as NRS has done incentivizing people to play this goofy iOS app.

That said, the budgets on these things is way smaller cause distribution and advertisement are basically free and they probably leveraged most of the development on work done by NRS for the full game, but the market is fucking full of these things now so they gotta find a way to compete. I will grant you, a lot of them are predators, shitty products made from shitty devs just looking for a buck, but for what its worth, it looks like someone actually put some thought into the Injustice app. So wait your 3 hours like a good boy or slide them a couple bucks and take it like a man.
My fanboy rage doe s not care!!!!!!! But your right...........

Justice

Noob
Edit: ANd really, Injustice is still almost a week and a half away. If your exposure to your phone / tablet is that low and your need for totally superfluous costumes is that high, you really need to ask yourself what your priorities are as a gamer.
I spend a lot of time on public transit and I like the app :oops: