What's new

FFVII REMAKE ANNOUNCED

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I think it's that we never played it in it's heyday. I tried to play this game on Steam, but felt exactly like you did. It just didn't feel right to me. I'm thinking a lot of people are just wearing nostalgia tinted glasses.
You might have just nailed it. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing, and it doesn't look like anyone has an explanation, so I guess it's just something of a different era.

As such I imagine this remake will be pretty divisive. You'll either be one of the guys in this thread shaking at the kneees, or you'll be one of the rest of us like "...I don't get it..."

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
You might have just nailed it. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing, and it doesn't look like anyone has an explanation, so I guess it's just something of a different era.

As such I imagine this remake will be pretty divisive. You'll either be one of the guys in this thread shaking at the kneees, or you'll be one of the rest of us like "...I don't get it..."
For me it's the music that really stuck in my head over the years. The game is great in all other areas but the different cities and the theme songs I never forgot. Same thing with FFVIII.

Skip Bayless Voice: "I suspect, and now I May be wrong here, but that those who are in love with Final Fantasy VII, love it because they grew up in the rise of the weeaboo era"
Final fantasy fans in Steven A. Smith Voice: "That's absurd, that's asinine, a total gregarious claim"

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
For those that are wondering why people are so hyped for the remake of FF7;
FF7 was pretty much the JRPG that brought the (sub)genre to the west.
Not to mention the graphics at that time were amazing and pushing the PS1 to its limits (IMO it literally was the best looking game when it came out).
It was a game with a good story (for that time), gameplay mechanics that the west did not really know of either but somehow worked.

It's pure nostalgia, and if you ask me, it's a huge fan service by Square-Enix for finally doing this.
People have been asking for this ever since they showed the tech demo for the PS3, which as you know, is almost a decade ago.
If you never played this game, or played it after the PS1 era, it's only understandable why you don't get what this game means to a lot of people.
I'm pretty sure most people that are hyped for it are in or near their 30's.

E

Eldriken

For me it's the music that really stuck in my head over the years. The game is great in all other areas but the different cities and the theme songs I never forgot. Same thing with FFVIII.
This is me 100%! Do you like talking about 7 and 8? I'm always up for conversation involving either of those games. XD