What's new

Question EX Lightning Set-Ups?

NKZero

Noob
First off I would like to apologise because I have no idea what the move is called....but I am referring to Raiden's projectile.

I wanted to know when is the best time to use it or whether you could use it off any particular set-ups or situations etc. I think it is a great tool to sustain pressure and a way to get a life lead and run with it (if you are that type of player!).

I personally sometimes end my combos short so for example I'd do: B312-shocker-334-B3-EX lightning.

Because the opponent is so close to me off the B3, I can pop them up with a D3 and then they cannot counter-poke because the projectile is coming back from the other side of the screen. The reason I pop them up with D3 is so that they cannot avoid the set-up with delayed wake-up. So as far as I know now...the only thing they can do is commit to a wake-up attack.

Perhaps a more qualified and more experienced Raiden player can comment on this?

I also feel these set-ups work better in the corner because a lot of Raiden's combos mid-screen push the opponent out a little and it is harder to follow-up.

Also you have to remember that if the opponent does a wake-up attack you have to make sure you have a safe set-up where you have the two bolts of lightning on the screen but you have enough time to block as well. So maybe the combo I am doing isn't safe.

So please guys give me your ideas because I really think these set-ups can be as useful as Sektor up missile set-ups for example or Reptile force ball set-ups.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I usually do b312, dash shocker, f2~vb, b3~ex-lightning, or 334~tele, f2~shocker, f2~vb, b3~ex-lightning and follow up with a jump in punch, dash in d4/throw, hang out and anti-air, or just block if they try and do an invincible wakeup. But these combos put them at a little bit of a distance. There are ways out of this setup but when it throws someone off guard they either get hit by one of the lightnings or sit there and hold block. It's good in the corner because it takes longer for the behind lightning to hit and forces them to hold block longer.

Another thing I'll do is an enhanced lightning setup during block pressure with either b2f1~ex-lightning, f23~ex-lightning, or 22~ex-lightning. It's safe, they either have to hold block, cross you up, or down poke you. If they hold block you can get a throw or more block pressure. If they cross you up you can anti-air with ex-shocker or d1 combo. If they down poke you, you can back dash and b312 to whiff punish it. It's good. They can time an armored move for when the back lightning hits, but then you can teleport or hit them with another move at pretty much the same time so the first hit of armor is absorbed and you get your hit. So... yeah.

NKZero

Noob
I usually do b312, dash shocker, f2~vb, b3~ex-lightning, or 334~tele, f2~shocker, f2~vb, b3~ex-lightning and follow up with a jump in punch, dash in d4/throw, hang out and anti-air, or just block if they try and do an invincible wakeup. But these combos put them at a little bit of a distance. There are ways out of this setup but when it throws someone off guard they either get hit by one of the lightnings or sit there and hold block. It's good in the corner because it takes longer for the behind lightning to hit and forces them to hold block longer.

Another thing I'll do is an enhanced lightning setup during block pressure with either b2f1~ex-lightning, f23~ex-lightning, or 22~ex-lightning. It's safe, they either have to hold block, cross you up, or down poke you. If they hold block you can get a throw or more block pressure. If they cross you up you can anti-air with ex-shocker or d1 combo. If they down poke you, you can back dash and b312 to whiff punish it. It's good. They can time an armored move for when the back lightning hits, but then you can teleport or hit them with another move at pretty much the same time so the first hit of armor is absorbed and you get your hit. So... yeah.
Wow I almost completely forgot about this thread lol since nobody responded :(.

Yeah man that sounds like good stuff. I definitely agree that this works better in the corner due to reduced distance and because Raiden can do more in the corner in general. I like the idea of introducing EX lightning into blockstrings but I think you need sufficient space. F23 set-up sounds good but then again why waste meter when you can do the F23 or F23-vicinity blast mix-ups. I feel they're better in combos.

I mean have you tested them out in matches and had success or something?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah I had quite a bit of success with them in casuals at UFGT.

Yeah it does take meter. Obviously it's something you want to save for when you have 3 bars of meter so that it's not as big of a loss if it doesn't work out. It's also just an option. The vb traps are really good. It's just that as soon as vb hit's you're at zero. You have a whole set of options when that happens that almost everyone is aware of. With the f23~ex-lightning setups it's a different set of options that they aren't used to calling up on command. It's something you do once in a tournament match.

Either way, meter isn't too hard to build with raiden. vb's, teleporting, and blocked strings build up meter very quickly.