What's new

Evo and NRS Commentary

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think this is an important subject to discuss, considering this will no doubt be the biggest Evo of all time. I was watching a replay of KiT the other day, and while it wasn’t the greatest top 8 commentary I’ve ever heard, it was from two guys that cared about Mortal Kombat, which I could always respect. It made me think back to some of the last big tournaments for MKX, and with the exception of the Northeast based majors, we can never get someone from our side at the table on Finals day. What’s up with that?

Now, to preface, none of the commentators I’m going to discuss are terrible on the stick, nor terrible people. I’m just calling it like I see it. At Evolution, the biggest tournament for MKX so far, we had Aris and UltraDavid on the mics. I think Aris is funny, I think he’s definitely a solid stream presence, but I don’t even think he’d argue that he’s out there to promote himself above all else. “Lord Jenson,” “Hey Internet,” “Tanyer,” all funny memes no doubt, but I think for the biggest tournament of the game’s life up to that point and in the finals of the biggest tournament of the year, that kinda sucks. I’m sure his rudimentary knowledge of the game is okay, but he’s not someone deeply familiar with the scene as a whole, nor do I think that will change any time soon.

David is someone who has been both a big advocate and big critic of our scene as a whole, but I would argue he brings an overall positive stream presence. Veteran commentator, always can be counted on to be professional, plus his game knowledge is pretty high since he does actually play it and watch the tournaments on the side. On top of all that, he’s decently familiar with the scene and the drama and stories surrounding it.

My question there would be, with a known NRS employee/former top player/big community member in the audience, and multiple known commentators and advocates in the audience, why weren’t they brought up to the big stage? I’d be foolish to admit that a lot of it is probably an old boy’s club, but to my knowledge, MK is the only game that didn’t get its known advocates/players on the mics. Guilty Gear had Hellpockets, Smash had Prog, Tekken had Markman I believe, KI had Max and Shintristan, the list goes on. Again, what’s up with that?

And it wasn’t just Evo either; SCR, which was a big tournament with international presence and a big time showing for the game with a big pot bonus, and we had Sajam and Rip doing the commentary. Rip, who I’m honestly not sure played the game beyond the initial NRS patching regimen, and can at best be described as a casual fan of the game, combined with Sajam, who to me is a lot like David; inoffensive, professional, gets the job done with a decent amount of game and scene knowledge. So that’s twice now we’ve had a person who knows enough, combined with a casual player at best.

And yet again, we also had a known NRS employee/former top player/big community member in the audience, as well as multiple known commentators and advocates. How ingrained could these commentators be?

If we look across the other side of the country, CEO, KiT, NEC, and some of the other major tournaments on the East side let MK players on the commentary for top 8, and the world doesn’t implode. We get decent commentary with knowledgable players, and that’s really all we can ask for.

I realize, too, that this isn’t exactly a 3rd World problem: commentary is probably one of the lower concerns when organizing a major tournament. Having said that, when it is on the big stage, I think the game should be represented by the people who either play it and know the scene well or those who having a decent foothold in both of those areas. I do not think that the biggest stream for the game should be used to get catchphrases over or have a commentator who can only agree with his partner because he’s not sure what’s going on.

I know that the director of production for Evo is currently taking reels for commentators, and I suggest our guys that know they can handle it and want to commentate, please do. I also understand that with ESL having become bigger, we have our own set of commentators from two sides of the pond who are at the very least professional enough with big stage experience. There is no excuse now to not have two NRS guys on commentary when every other scene can afford it, absolutely no excuse.

What do you guys think? I know that it’s not a huge issue, but enough’s enough man (And it’s time for a change #ripOwen).

E

Eldriken

I can't help but agree with you here, Hippo. I enjoy Aris' commentary and all, but not for say Top 32 (possibly Top 64). Pools and such, sure. But after that? Bring us professionalism, knowledge, etc.

I think UltraDavid and Kitana Prime as commentators for MKX at EVO would be absolutely amazing. That's what I would personally like to see.

NorCalSamurai

Bacon Lettuce Tomato
Yeah, it comes down to communicating with streamers and good NRS commentators, getting details ironed out ahead of time. We've got plenty good commentators in our scene (Bit, Prime, etc.) just need to get everyone on the same program and make definitive commentary plans well before Top 8.

E

Eldriken

Yeah, it comes down to communicating with streamers and good NRS commentators, getting details ironed out ahead of time. We've got plenty good commentators in our scene (Bit, Prime, etc.) just need to get everyone on the same program and make definitive commentary plans well before Top 8.
I wanted to suggest Bit as a commentator, but it never seems to be a possibility. If it was to be a possibility this year, I'd replace UltraDavid with Bit. Nothing against UltraDavid as he's one of my favorite commentators, but Bit and Kitana Prime would be hype beyond belief. They're both very knowledgeable, funny, communicate with streamers, etc.

nugava

Noob
I watched Aris' gay fatass' stream today and he said he just got a big EATSPORT call... You might be disappointed... As far as the Big 5 games on Sunday, the only one Aris has a chance to commentate is MKX (Tekken 7 is not on Sunday)... So I'd say, deal with it... (BUT, I agree that Bit, or Kitana Prime would be dope too)...
(For NRS, I always was a fan of FlipKev and Brady, but there is no chance... Where the fuck is FlipKev tho ?)

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I will always go to bat for Lord Aris. I think he is a great commentator for MK. He does need to put more time into the game if he is going to commentate for EVO though.

Now for the sake "having our scene stand on its own" type deal, Ketchup and Mustard are the best NRS specific commentators, and if anyone deserves to do top 8, it's them.

Kitana Prime is also getting really good.

Basically anyone but Brady, the mainstream casuals are not ready for Brady.

Skedar70

Noob
I disagree in one point. Aris might not be that knowledgeable about the game or the community but he is funny and entertaining, I like him. I've seen Kitana Prime commentate and he is also a favorite of mine(the perfect candidate). Please, never again put Derek and Tyler that is boring and awkward(nice guys though). 16 bit is also a really good suggestion. HollywoodDMS...No...staph.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Safe bets: the condiment brothers, kitana prime, big D, brady, godspeed, wonderchef, ultradavid, Reo, Darth Arma

Any combination of the above would provide solid commentary

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Iko, best commentary would come from someone heavily invested in the scene. Get some NRS personalities in there.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Aris 16bit and UltraDavid. Any combination of them will be absolutely godlike.
ketchup and mustard are good as well.

WATCHD0G

Noob
I wanted to suggest Bit as a commentator, but it never seems to be a possibility. If it was to be a possibility this year, I'd replace UltraDavid with Bit. Nothing against UltraDavid as he's one of my favorite commentators, but Bit and Kitana Prime would be hype beyond belief. They're both very knowledgeable, funny, communicate with streamers, etc.
Damn, Bit and prime sounds so perfect to me....Kitana Prime has always been my favorite and Bit is godlike on the mic

haketh

Noob
Personally I'm a huge fan of Aris for Top 8, he knows enough about the game & yeah it aint the most "E=Sports" stuff out there but it's entertaining, it's fun, & you can balance that out wtih the right partner which I think last year did well.

Forreal though if people want to throw their hat in the ring for commentary not just for EVO but for others please practice! And send in reels to Chris Ceglia for feedback and a chance t commentate at EVO.