What's new

Question - Master of Souls Ermac option select?

Hey everyone, been reading the forums for a long time. I Keep hearing that Ermac has an option select/option selects but I can't find the information anywhere on the forum. Hoping somebody could clarify if he does and how they work?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
@Afumba if I may

Afumba said:
Option Select is basically making the game decide the best option for you depending on the output & it can also be used to make unsafe strings save.

If you go for the string b124 for example you can input it like this:
b12~teleport, f, 4 (forward and 4 on his own not f4)
If you press "forward, 4" at the right time the game will choose for you depending if the opponent blocked b12 or not. If opponent blocked b12 the 4 will come out and leaves you at 0. Should you hit b12 then the teleport comes out and you can full combo. So you dont need to hitconfirm & you remove evey risk.

You can do this with several strings. Most practical for Ermac is the one i made the example of. Others worth doing are b34 & f43 to lower how negative you are if blocked, but you can still be punished rather easy after these 2. Still worth it though if you can pull it of.

Its a totally cheap mechanic... it makes lots of string save that arent, make the game make decisions for you as long as you input correctly & removes certain risk completely. Sad thing actually.

Hope this helps

Afumba

Noob
Here the ones i know of

- 222~SoulBall, ff = 222~SoulBall on hit, 222 on block (-9)
- 222~teleport, ff = 222~teleportl on hit, 222 on block (-9)
- 22~SoulBall, bb = 22~SoulBall on hit & 222 on block (-9)
- 22~teleport, ff = launcher on hit & 22 on block (- 7)
- b12~teleport, bb = launches on hit & save b124 on block (0)
- b12~SoulBall, bb = SoulBall on hit & b12 on block (-3)
- f4~teleport, b, 3 = launcher on hit & f43 on block (-11)
- b3~SoulBall, bb 1 = SoulBall on hit; b32 on block (-11): if the overhead hits the whole b321 string comes out. Multi-OS... kinda...
- b3~teleport, b, 4= launcher on hit & b34 on block (-10)
*** Alternative "b3~teleport, bb" results in the same as above. Teleport on hit & b34 on block. but for this one i find it harder to do it this way somehow...
- 11~teleport, bb = launcher on hit & 11 on block (+2)
- 11~SoulBall, bb = Soulball on hit & 112 on block (-10)
- f21~SoulBall, bb = SoulBall on hit & f212 on block (-1)
- f3~teleport, bb = launcher on hit & f34 on block (-6)
- 3~teleport, bb = launcher on hit & 34 on block (-2)
- 3~SoulBall, bb = SoulBall on hit & s3 on block (-1)
- b2~SoulBall, bb = SoulBall on hit & b2 on block
- b2, 3+4, bb = launcher on hit & b2 on block

These are possible as well but definitely pointless

f4~teleport, bb = launcher on hit & cancels the teleport on block
f21~teleport, bb = launcher on hit & f21 on block

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Of course you may :) But i found the time yesterday to write up a few more... see above... sad that you can basically OS everything :O
Not done checking everything but thats already enough "pls choose for me"-stuff :-/
I really have to start doing this but I find it so difficult to do the teleport inputs, the forward and the 4 as the animation for B12 is on the way. Like how ridiculously fast must your fingers be jeez

Afumba

Noob
I really have to start doing this but I find it so difficult to do the teleport inputs, the forward and the 4 as the animation for B12 is on the way. Like how ridiculously fast must your fingers be jeez
Actually for this OS you dont need to... doing b12~teleport, bb is enough. The bb input changes the teleport into 4 & you get the b124 on block.
Was just me doing it more complicated before it seems... If your timing is perfect on the OS you can also just do "b12~teleport, b" and it works as well.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Actually for this OS you dont need to... doing b12~teleport, bb is enough. The bb input changes the teleport into 4 & you get the b124 on block.
Was just me doing it more complicated before it seems... If your timing is perfect on the OS you can also just do "b12~teleport, b" and it works as well.
Well I will have to revist this then. Can you get it consistently now or the timing is so difficult that trying it online is futile?

Afumba

Noob
Well I will have to revist this then. Can you get it consistently now or the timing is so difficult that trying it online is futile?
Yea i can do it consistently and if i miss it its mostly cuz i cancel with bb too early & i get b124 on hit. Which is not optimal but its also not bad.

It also works online, but as with everything lag can be an issue.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Aren't all of these really pointless to remember since Paulo said all of these things will be patched/removed at some point?

Last edited:

Afumba

Noob
Aren't all of these really pointless to remember since Paulo said all of these things will be patched/removed at some point?
I only know of Paolo stating that the 1+2+3 OS will be removed, which they did. Havent seen him state anything on these OS beeing removed.
Also lots of ppls are saying these OS are here to stay as there is no official statement on them.

Could be just me having missed that though... if so, would be great if you can point me to Paolos post.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I only know of Paolo stating that the 1+2+3 OS will be removed, which they did. Havent seen him state anything on these OS beeing removed.
Also lots of ppls are saying these OS are here to stay as there is no official statement on them.

Could be just me having missed that though... if so, would be great if you can point me to Paolos post.
I see, perhaps that's what I read my friend. If these stay, cool. I'm skeptical trying these online but we all know thats another story entirely lol. Other day in mid combo hadva lag spike, completely thru me off so annoying. Lol

zaf

professor
How fast do you have to input it ? @Afumba ? The b12 teleport f 4 one
Well the teleport inputs have to be done before the 2 in b12 come out.
This is what I have noticed from practicing it.
Doing B12 teleport back back, is the easiest way I was able to get this down. It is pretty easy once you get the muscle memory for it.

Afumba

Noob
How fast do you have to input it ? @Afumba ? The b12 teleport f 4 one
Naw this is easier

B12 down back 4 back back

Since 4 is already in the teleport itself, there is no need to press 4 again.
As zaf already said you can do it with "bb" instead of "f,4". The bb version is a bit easier to do but timing-wise its exactly the same.
I myself make a small pause after the b12 & cancel late into the teleport... but than do "teleport,bb" as fast as i possibly can.

But there is a difference in doing the OS with bb or f,4... noticed this 20 minutes ago...

You can do this OS these two ways:
1 - b12~teleport, bb (or any other 2 direction; 1 directional button is enough as well but its harder this way)
2 - b12~teleport, f, 4 (you can replace f with any other direction)

On first look both ways give you the same result. You get a launcher on hit and a safe string on block.
But if for some reason the opponent blocks the b1 but not the 2 the outcome is different. In this case you have these outcomes:
For 1 - b124 on hit
For 2 - b12~teleport on hit

So bascically doing it with f,4 guarantees the OS for both hits whilst doing it just with directional inputs will give the OS only if the full string hits.

I have tested both ways about 30 times in a row and the outcome is always as described above. Adding the 4 is what guarantess the OS for both hits.

Reactions: zaf

zaf

professor
As zaf already said you can do it with "bb" instead of "f,4". The bb version is a bit easier to do but timing-wise its exactly the same.
I myself make a small pause after the b12 & cancel late into the teleport... but than do "teleport,bb" as fast as i possibly can.

But there is a difference in doing the OS with bb or f,4... noticed this 20 minutes ago...

You can do this OS these two ways:
1 - b12~teleport, bb (or any other 2 direction; 1 directional button is enough as well but its harder this way)
2 - b12~teleport, f, 4 (you can replace f with any other direction)

On first look both ways give you the same result. You get a launcher on hit and a safe string on block.
But if for some reason the opponent blocks the b1 but not the 2 the outcome is different. In this case you have these outcomes:
For 1 - b124 on hit
For 2 - b12~teleport on hit

So bascically doing it with f,4 guarantees the OS for both hits whilst doing it just with directional inputs will give the OS only if the full string hits.

I have tested both ways about 30 times in a row and the outcome is always as described above. Adding the 4 is what guarantess the OS for both hits.
Thanks for the update. I will practice with the 2nd way you were describing.
I was doing the b12 teleport bb option yesterday and a few times i noticed I got b124 on hit even though I was sure I did it correctly.
I guess that explains it. Thanks dude.

Afumba

Noob
Thanks for the update. I will practice with the 2nd way you were describing.
I was doing the b12 teleport bb option yesterday and a few times i noticed I got b124 on hit even though I was sure I did it correctly.
I guess that explains it. Thanks dude.
Yea i was like "wtf" as well earlier thats why i went into the lab with it :D

Even though its was a good explanation... i have to withdraw it. After having tested other strings i think its just a frame thing. Meaning when exactly you make the cancel input. Seems to have different outcome on which frame you cancel it. Tested it with 22~OS or 222~OS & i was able to easily create both outcomes both ways; especially for the 222 one as you have more time. So i tried this b12~teleport OS for another half hour till i was able to get the second outcome for it as well - even doing just 1 directional button.

So in conclusion... if you hit it "a frame" too early it doesnt work for the second hit. I say "a frame" cuz its not a measurable timing difference... at least for me. I am still able to get it better with "f,4" but i think its just me getting the timing right better this way.
Bottom line i think we have to life with a small chance of random outcome if the second hit is the first one to connect.

Oh & sorry for the confusion/misleading. Wasnt my intention :)

zaf

professor
Yea i was like "wtf" as well earlier thats why i went into the lab with it :D
Even though its was a good explanation... i have to withdraw it. After having tested other strings i think its just a frame thing. Meaning when exactly you make the cancel input. Seems to have different outcome on which frame you cancel it. Tested it with 22~OS or 222~OS & i was able to easily create both outcomes both ways; especially for the 222 one as you have more time. So i tried this b12~teleport OS for another half hour till i was able to get the second outcome for it as well - even doing just 1 directional button.
So in conclusion... if you hit it "a frame" too early it doesnt work for the second hit. I say "a frame" cuz its not a measurable timing difference... at least for me. I am still able to get it better with "f,4" but i think its just me getting the timing right better this way.
Bottom line i think we have to life with a small chance of random outcome if the second hit is the first one to connect.
Oh & sorry for the confusion/misleading. Wasnt my intention :)
So depending on how i time this, B12 teleport BB should still make the teleport come out if B1 was blocked but 2 hits if I time it correctly ?

Afumba

Noob
So depending on how i time this, B12 teleport BB should still make the teleport come out if B1 was blocked but 2 hits if I time it correctly ?
Yes, exactly. All OS seem to have 2 different cancel timings. 1 timing keeps the OS active for the second hit and 1 that doesnt.

Reactions: zaf

zaf

professor
@Afumba @Dope Dojo @insignis @Kindred @Error @Metzos @Temjiin

While I was practicing this some more, something hit me..... Aren't these B12 option selects... Kinda useless?

I mean let me break this down for you.

You basically need the opponent to get hit with a B1 or with the second hit (2) for this to work.

- Hitting the opponent with B1 makes sense. You can hit them off a jump in, in footsies, whiff punish etc. From here it is not hard to hit confirm B12 ~ teleport.

- The point of the option select is to be able to convert off the 2 in B12. However, here is my main issue. Who is ever going to get hit by just the 2 ?
I mean, there is literally no reason for anyone you are playing with to get hit by the 2 in B12. There is no gap in between B1 and 2. The mix up with the string is B12 and B124 staggers. So if they really think you were just going to do 2 hits and stop and they wanted to interrupt you, then they would need to block the 2 anyways then press buttons.

So my problem here is that I really do not see a reason to learn this option select. If the B12 is blocked and the opponent is going to press, then the 4 in B124 comes out and not the teleport.

Discuss homies?

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
@Afumba @Dope Dojo @insignis @Kindred @Error @Metzos @Temjiin

While I was practicing this some more, something hit me..... Aren't these B12 option selects... Kinda useless?

I mean let me break this down for you.

You basically need the opponent to get hit with a B1 or with the second hit (2) for this to work.

- Hitting the opponent with B1 makes sense. You can hit them off a jump in, in footsies, whiff punish etc. From here it is not hard to hit confirm B12 ~ teleport.

- The point of the option select is to be able to convert off the 2 in B12. However, here is my main issue. Who is ever going to get hit by just the 2 ?
I mean, there is literally no reason for anyone you are playing with to get hit by the 2 in B12. There is no gap in between B1 and 2. The mix up with the string is B12 and B124 staggers. So if they really think you were just going to do 2 hits and stop and they wanted to interrupt you, then they would need to block the 2 anyways then press buttons.

So my problem here is that I really do not see a reason to learn this option select. If the B12 is blocked and the opponent is going to press, then the 4 in B124 comes out and not the teleport.

Discuss homies?
I'm not bothering to learn the OS from B3, B12 or anything really. I understand as the game evolves they will become prevalent and anyone serious about winning will probably need to but I hate the idea of them and would rather lose by my opponent guessing correctly than winning with an OS... plus my execution isn't great especially in a competitive environment.

I generally only bust out the F4/B3 50/50 when I'm losing by a hideous defecit anyway, I think this character can be played safely without the 50/50s for the most part.