What's new

Guide - Quan Chi EO Beta Quan review: Thoughts after a week + changes I hope to see for Warlock

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Sup guys, Quan has now been in the EO beta for a week and I'd like to give some feedback on how he has changed from the current build in the game, mainly from Warlock's perspective. None of this is intended to be downplaying or whatever, just observations and criticisms on the changes themselves.

Changes to MB Rune:

- Variable block advantage

First of all, I'd like to say I like the idea of how MB Rune's advantage on block depends on when you commit to the Meter Burn at the risk of being armored through, I really do, and on paper it makes the utility of the move more interesting, however, there's a fatal design flaw to this. As long as Meter Burning is tied to the block command (seasoned Quan players also playing in the beta will probably know where I'm going with this already), this will always be a problem.

There's too many situations where I'd like to throw out a single regular rune and block afterwards, but now I can't do that with the extended MB window for the 2nd rune, because that will come out instead, so effectively, on a run in, jump in, or an oncoming projectile after using Rune, I have to get hit on purpose sometimes just to avoid wasting my own meter, which is something I especially don't want to do with Warlock in the first place.

SUGGESTION ON HOW TO AMEND THIS IF MB RUNE STAYS THIS WAY: Change the input to an EX input similar to how Kobu Jutsu Tanya can launch after using DF2, DF1, then DF2+Block. (So with Quan for example I could do say, DB1, then DB2+Block if and when I want to commit to the 2nd Rune)

- Increased damage scaling

Every follow up to MB Rune now does 1-2% less. Personally I don't have a problem with that kind of damage loss. My issue is that this nerf is BLATANTLY aimed at Summoner Quan because of the extreme unbreakable damage potential it has in current MKX depending on how much meter he has available.

So I ask, why? Isn't this already significantly neutered by the fact that Summoner now cannot summon the bat and continue to combo unless he uses EX Trance, a move that, y'know, costs meter?

- Increased recovery (from 8 to 13 frames)

I suspect this was done in part to lessen the advantage Quan is at after a non-delayed MB Rune, and couldn't be done entirely by reducing the block stun. Or it maybe so that he can be whiff punished for it after cancelling a blockstring into it that doesn't jail such as B32.

However this has also effected the conversion-ability on hit, My go-to BNB after hitting a MB Rune up close was dash, instant NJP, 4xxTrance, as I personally prefer to get as much damage in before using trance into a restand. But it no longer seems to be possible. I also wonder if this may effect converting from a mid range rune? Considering that MB Rune allegedly can be delayed to be advantage on block without creating a gap, seems like a superficial change just to help the armchair critics sleep at night.

Possible travel speed nerf to skull?

Contrary to popular belief, Summoner is not the only variation that benefited from the removal on autoblock on skulls. If Quan's skull trades with an oncoming projectile that doesn't stun (like Sub-Zero's Ice Ball for example) or knock down, his recovery will be overriden, and in Warlock, is able to link a free F3 for an accumulative total of 14.5%. I may be the only active Warlock player that is both aware of this AND knows how to do this somewhat intentionally.

However, through playing in the online beta, the amount of times I've pulled this off successfully can probably be counted on one hand, and it seems to usually happen because people don't realize they can now block the skull in time. Or maybe I was just playing a bunch of ignoramuses who didn't realize this, and this may all just be a massive coincidence lol.

Ultimately Summoner doesn't seem to be effected here as most conversions using this mechanic come from a point blank skull with no travelling frames.

Increased trance recovery:

I understand that this has been done mainly to prevent free bat/hex spell summons in Summoner/Sorcerer respectively, but did this really need to be done by 30 something frames? I'm sure there are still ways to successfully land a J1/J2 post trance depending on the conversion, but I won't be able to test this fully without access to a training mode. And I'm starting to worry that there isn't a way to do this while cornered. Part of Warlock's strength is that it's a legitimate risk to have Warlock cornered due to the presence of EX Scoop and EX Stab, and then enforce his own corner game, but what if I don't have meter? Am I supposed to rob myself of my own corner re-positioning?

By the looks of things 10 or so frames more to move after trance would be enough time to get close enough and crossover into either J1/J2 for sure, and I would suggest increasing the recovery on Bat Summon/Sorcerer spells accordingly to ensure there aren't any inadvertent loopholes to use them for free during trance. If any Summoner/Sorcerer players know of other situations that these recovery changes would be detrimental to, let me know.

EX Sky Drop:

Well I'll be honest, being a Warlock enthusiast I have no reason to use this move anyway, but I'd like to point out the supposed faster startup is still nowhere near sufficient enough to do anything differently. The move is still trash, I know it, Summoner/Sorcerer players know it, everyone damn knows it, and anyone trying to argue otherwise is kidding themselves.

With the regulations that Summoner/Sorcerer have received in the beta, I don't think there's any real danger to now give them a properly reliable armored reversal that is still vastly inferior to Warlock's.

So that about does it for what I've noticed and I don't think I've missed anything, in my next post I will be detailing the changes I'd like to see for Warlock's specific tools, coming up shortly.

STRYKIE

Warlock changes

(To my knowledge, nothing about Warlock's specific tools have changed in the beta)

First things first, I'm not gonna sugar coat anything, a lot of Quan mains have Warlock down as this "mid-tier" variation that's only useful for a few matchups, but I honestly believe in current MKX, the variation is S- at worst and can get the job done by itself. But it's still been hampered by a few annoyances. Whether all of these changes are the right ones or not, I don't know, but I think with the issues they have, should be taken into consideration by NRS, it's unlikely that they will if they haven't already 2 weeks away from MKXL given that changes are probably mostly finalized, but my ideas nonetheless:

F3 hitbox slightly extended, NO improvement to tracking.

F3 has issues hitting opponent who advance forward during a given move and the kick whiffs entirely. Slightly more reach should fix this, but people should still be able to run past it on a read.

EX Stab to have the same tracking as Inferno Scorpion's EX Low Minion.

Now considering I'm spending meter to use this, and would mostly use this as a safer reversal option than EX Portal Scoop, the tracking leaves a lot to be desired. Yes it should be relatively easy to armor break and yes it should be jumpable on a read, but can we please make sure it hits when I use it at the right time?

Portal Grab overhaul.

The game, in theory, tells you it's a mid, the game, in practice, has other ideas....

Now it's a nice combo ender, not gonna tell you it isn't, but considering it also has even worse tracking than both F3 and EX stab, it's never used in neutral outside of input errors.

To give it a use, I would say get rid of it's grounded properties entirely and make it a hard coded anti-air like Kotal's AA grab to use to counter-zone vs air projectiles.

Meterless scoop to be +10 on hit?

Only really made to video to demonstrate that this move is completely negative on hit, compared to a proper hard knockdown like the rune and that I can't really do anything except block after a wakeup after it hits lol.

This would be a complete quality of life adjustment, I suspect that the move largely exists so that an EX version could be made, but given it's limited utility, I'd like to think some usable advantage frames when it's used wouldn't be unreasonable.

Last edited:
Nice , i really think the trance nerf wasn't needed they could have added more recovery to the bat/spells or just found other solutions , still though i think both sorcer/warlock are in a good position but in my opinion id really like them to remove the cooldown on his bat.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Ive noticed a devastating inconsistency with new Quan, delayed MbRune doesn't combo consistently at all. A lot of the time the second hit will whiff completely leaving Quan in recovery while the opponent can just get up and run in.

This is shitty for Quan, it means you either have to commit to the non delayed version, hope it hits and stay minus if it doesnt or commit to the delayed one and hope they DID block it so you get plus frames, cause if it hits you're fucked after just wasting a bar.

In Summoner most of his bnbs are completely gone, and the reworked ones can't seem to be optimised properly because F2122, 141 seems very inconsistent, even when used to end combos in low gravity.

This MbRune dropping even on grounded opponents though needs to be sorted. I have footage that I'll upload later when I have the time just for proof.

Quan seems more inconsistent and less dangerous than Hat Trick now, never thought I'd hear myself saying this but I've been having a LOT more success with Hat Trick in the beta than any variations of new Quan.

AeWhole

Noob
Wow I really like this thread. Nice work. It's upsetting that all the nerfs to Summoner still made Summoner great and made Sorcerer need to play differently and Warlock got shit on sorta. Well really it got overlooked. I do have to say though if they make Sky Drop more reliable Warlock will be rocking armored 50/50 wakeups that have midscreen range... Looking at you Tanya. The skull does travel slower because it's easier to combo off it with the bat now.

I have all but stopped using Ground Burst unless I am trying to knockdown or zone in a very specific way. The portal grab and skull is faster and has better recovery/safe if you meter burn. Also when Kitana runs in I don't get hit with an overhead because I wasted a meter trying to block a JIP. Portal Kick is nice but getting people closer to you isn't ideal unless they are within both B2, B3, or F2122 range on wakeup. All around Quan's safer options that he should be using now are mediocre at best. I think a lot of people said it on these forums but, I will say it again. Ground Burst being -1 on block is RIP for this characters other variations. You're idea of DB2 for the Ex is nice but why do we need this? He should have just taken a damage nerf on Summoner and Sorcerer. Summoner's brain dead easy to link meterless 45% in the corner on wake-up with a bat out was ridiculous. Professionals were getting 51-53% off of it. Not many players offline I played against new how to block the bat and the overhead and still can't.

All in all tracking on all of Quans Spells need to be fixed or things changed back to what they were (except for damage nerfs) and Bat being removed from trance was all that needed to happen if they want to keep hard to blockables. This would give back everything that Warlock had and Sorcerer had and Summoner would have been rightly nerfed. THEN they could start seeing if Sorcerer or Warlock needed to be touched.

Lokheit

Noob
It always annoyed me that regular scoop doesn't use a portal, it could get a portal animation with not enough time for you to connect anything and just make them hit the ground, but use it as an excuse to make the move positive on hit.

Better tracking on both portal grab and portal stab would be great. If the grab is a mid it should force the hit if the position in the X axis is the same than the target.

Btw, I don't have the beta, you mentined how you can't crossup punch an opponent after the trance, but can you at least JIP? (I'm guessing the answer is not given how high Quan Chi jumps making it almost the same time).

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Btw, I don't have the beta, you mentined how you can't crossup punch an opponent after the trance, but can you at least JIP? (I'm guessing the answer is not given how high Quan Chi jumps making it almost the same time).
You can sometimes get a crossup punch depending on the range you hit trance, seems very inconsistent though. I'm not sure about the JIP though I'd assume it's the same as the crossup.

Lokheit

Noob
You can sometimes get a crossup punch depending on the range you hit trance, seems very inconsistent though. I'm not sure about the JIP though I'd assume it's the same as the crossup.
Thanks for the info, I kind of had my list of distances for JIP from most starters (direct JIP after F2122, 4, Trance... step back then JIP after B324, 4, Trance... step forward, jump backwards and punch after B2 Trance or other non launching starters or in the corner) but I guess after this patch it won't mater anymore.

If Warlock is losing around 2% damage per combo without the JIPs because of the nerfs to Summoner collateral damage when Warlock was Quan's worst variation, I hope they give him some love in the KP2 patch and polish his moves.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
Ive noticed a devastating inconsistency with new Quan, delayed MbRune doesn't combo consistently at all. A lot of the time the second hit will whiff completely leaving Quan in recovery while the opponent can just get up and run in.

This is shitty for Quan, it means you either have to commit to the non delayed version, hope it hits and stay minus if it doesnt or commit to the delayed one and hope they DID block it so you get plus frames, cause if it hits you're fucked after just wasting a bar.

In Summoner most of his bnbs are completely gone, and the reworked ones can't seem to be optimised properly because F2122, 141 seems very inconsistent, even when used to end combos in low gravity.

This MbRune dropping even on grounded opponents though needs to be sorted. I have footage that I'll upload later when I have the time just for proof.

Quan seems more inconsistent and less dangerous than Hat Trick now, never thought I'd hear myself saying this but I've been having a LOT more success with Hat Trick in the beta than any variations of new Quan.
I noticed this with MB rune as well. Hopefully they will change the hitbox of the second rune to account for this. Or maybe we'll just have to develop godlike reaction speeds

STRYKIE

So wait skull+F3 doesn't jail anymore? Good write up Strike and I argee with everything you said. I hope Paulo see this.
This is what I'm talking about:

As you can see, AI is set to block and even the game recognized it as a true combo. but I've barely been able to do it in the beta.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
@Cabjoy

I don't like the delayed mb rune for this very reason, accidental uses.

If they wanted to remove the 50/50 on block they should have just made it +6 that way people can still poke out on a read for a 50/50 attempt. Or hold the follow up mid.

But thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't the 50/50 they were worried about but the repeating rune trap.. Hmm

I don't like the idea of another input for MB either..

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Honestly as a summoner main if you make the bat call any slower it will massively affect the character in a negative way. They should do something they did in MK9, and deactivate the ability to call it after trance. In MK9 you could not call Skeletal Boost during a trance unless a projectile hit you after the trance hit them. The same could be done here, that way the trance stays as it was pre beta, warlock remains the same and summoner gets his damage nerfed.

Sorcerer you could disable calling the chip spell during the trance, but keep the other two, as the chip spell seems to be the biggest deal.

Some other thoughts.

Delayed rune was a fun idea, but ultimately sucks due to previous posts. Losing meter trying to block, inconsistent combos etc. I have one of two ideas. Either Keep the rune as a whole +7. This would allow him nothing but a d1 for free off it in pressure, still keep his zoning in his variations and would not guarantee a rune trap for sorcerer.

Alternatively, change the amount of advantage of the rune at the different distances. ie Full screen ex rune is +15, mid rune is +5, Close ex rune is -1. That would make the close ex rune for combos only, while he still keeps his strong zoning to make up for lack of damage and defensive options now.

Skydrop needs a better Aerial Hitbox. right now you can just neutral jump and it will whiff. also some moves will hit him and combo on the way down. I would suggest making it large enough that it can hit the opponent before any grounded attack can touch him. Maybe a few exceptions like Kung Jins u1 or something but overall thats the biggest issue. Either that or give it 2 hits of armour. This is assuming Summoner doesnt go back to pre patch damage in which case i would be more than fine with a gimpy wakeup for my damage back <3

That's all i can think of right now. I'd just like to mention as well i have no idea about programming and if any of these changes are possible from a technical perspective, but just my head in clouds kinda theories. Thanks!

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Alternatively, change the amount of advantage of the rune at the different distances. ie Full screen ex rune is +15, mid rune is +5, Close ex rune is -1. That would make the close ex rune for combos only, while he still keeps his strong zoning to make up for lack of damage and defensive options now.
I really like this idea, his zoning has taken quite a hit. On paper it doesn't seem so bad but in reality there's so many ways to disrespect rune right now, from full screen or up close.

Also, I can't get it on youtube right now cause my pc is bust but, this is what I mean when MbRune is now very inconsistent: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/IIxIxMATTYxIxII/video/14878672#

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
@Cabjoy

I don't like the delayed mb rune for this very reason, accidental uses.

If they wanted to remove the 50/50 on block they should have just made it +6 that way people can still poke out on a read for a 50/50 attempt. Or hold the follow up mid.

But thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't the 50/50 they were worried about but the repeating rune trap.. Hmm

I don't like the idea of another input for MB either..
Hrmm I didn't anticipate the influence delay mb would have on being to block after zoning. Definitely sounds like a problem. Main thing I'm excited for is Sorc's meter drain tbh. Free spell summon after f212? Yes please!

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Is quan dead? I feel like i cant use him during summoner and i spent a couple months learning him, his basic bnbs are basically cut 5-25% short which could be the difference between life and death as the mb rune isnt plus 14, i would rather have had them reduce his damage rather but only one bat per trance, actually i dont know, wed probably bitch but imo quan is dead and if he isnt, hes baasically A tier, maybe B+