What's new

Dumping your main?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Long story short, I've been playing Quan since I got the game (about a month now). I understand that he is a very strong character, and I've done a lot of practice and research but I can't seem to do well with him. Maybe just not my style? On one hand I want to learn someone different, but on the other I put so much time into Quan Chi that I really want to succeed with him. Anyone else have this experience? I get the whole sunk cost thing, but it's kind of frustrating to put all this work into learning a character and get next to nowhere with him/her. /rant
you should't think of it like that. you spent all this time learning him now you know exactly how he works for when you have to fight against him. its always beneficial to learn characters even if you don't main with him. totally not a sunken cost by any means. when you are playing fighting games, knowledge is power, especially early on, and even more so when they are popular tournament characters

Honestly I think a good through of character knowledge would be a good step. Find out what your style is, find a character that fits that, or maybe you like the moves of a character. How it feels to pull off combos or even a simple special move. Does it feel right to you? It isn't easy to find that "one" and you may not click as others have but it is worth the find. I was lucky by picking Quan because I originally am a Marvel player and I love Firebrand. Quan felt good to me to pull of his dumb vortex and his zoning felt unique, not to mention I like his brutalities and fatalities. Look up matches and watch how they play or take them into training. I hope the best for finding that one character.

Last edited:
I know how you feel to an extent with Quan. Does well in tournament and in mind should be polarizing matchups. But that comes with player experience. I am new and I suck. I steal tech from Wonder Chef and Dink, yet I have no experience so I don't win a lot. Everyone struggles. Take the time you spent on learning Quan as an experience of what you don't want in a character.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I've played Reptile, Kitana, Kenshi, Erron, and Scorpion. I took a dump on many of them, but I keep switching back and forth depending on how I feel like playing. Basically, if I take a dump on my main, it's never permanent. When I feel like playing them again, I get out the toilet paper and clean them back into shape.