What's new

Dumping your main?

D

Deleted member 9158

I know how you feel, I had to drop mileena because of a few little things in her moveset that I did not care for. Luckily I still have quan

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
I've been through this to some extent. In injustice i wanted to play flash because he was my favorite dc character but his play style didn't suit me at all. It took me 3 months to find a main I could feel comfortable with. Sometimes it just takes time to find the character that's right for you. My advice would be to explore the cast and be patient

Beach

La mejor playa
Honestly take a charcter and play with them for a week or so. I did this with injustice and MKX and you'll find that eventually one charcter just feels right and is more fun than the others, even if you had no intention of playing. Even if yiu5 don't end up playing them, you'll better understand the matchup!

xAnnunaki

tethysocean
I mained 3 characters in mk9, Kitana, Sindel, and Quan Chi. Kitana was good, she was my go to character when I faced a really good opponent. But for the first 3 months I used Kitana exclusively, this gave me time to learn her pressure and bnbs down to muscle memory. I only had one pocket character and that was Jax, although I could use over half the cast I could get a win using Sindel more often than if I used someone like Cyrax. That's what it means to click with a character(s). I went into this game knowing I was going to use Quan Chi because I loved the character since mk4 and I have always used the edenians and netherrealmers. Hell Kitana is my main in mk2 but I knew as soon as I saw Kitana in mkx she wasn't my character. Also trying a different variation could mean a lot. After 1 month of summoner I have just started on sorcerer and warlock and I may very well switch to warlock.

I have the opposite problem, I want to pick someone else up but can't get off Ferra/Torr. No one else feels right to play for me.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Well, I'm a character loyalist. I've always been a Sub-Zero player, and through his many iterations, I finally have a style with him a absolutely love. Grandmaster is great and all...but I really don't see why they're aren't more Cryomancers in tournament play. Rushdown sub is amazeballs!

I did get tired of playing him though because I didn't have him down all the way. Only been playing him a bit over a month, so I focused on Cassie. Now Cassie is #2. After learning Cass, I went back to Subby and all the tech fell into place for me. I seriously just made my bud so salty with him last night. You should see my new killer Sixpack xD.

What it comes down to man is, you've spent so much time on the character that you've probably developed a block keeping you from advancing. Don't forget Quan, but learn someone else. Then come back to Quan and chances are everything will start falling into place.

Edit: I'm trying to teach another one of my friends some fundamentals with him so he can develop a grandmaster, you'd be surprised. He has a lot of trouble using him, and I know it's just because that's not his variation. May not even be his character. Starting to think he just wants a sub because of how good I make him look *shrug*.

My point being a lot of people can find a character cake to learn, say they're crazy easy, but it's all relative. Sub was a cinch for me to learn. Not so much for my friend. Find someone that compliments your play style.

Reactions: GAV
I'm kinda having a similar issue! My issue is that I main Kotal Kahn but I really like full auto Jacqui! At the moment I only have the time to perform a few notches above scrub level! Lol
Life just isn't letting me sit and practice hours a day and play them enough to be great at both of em.... Who do you guys think I should stick with?

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I'm kinda having a similar issue! My issue is that I main Kotal Kahn but I really like full auto Jacqui! At the moment I only have the time to perform a few notches above scrub level! Lol
Life just isn't letting me sit and practice hours a day and play them enough to be great at both of em.... Who do you guys think I should stick with?
I'd say stick with Kotal, just because Jacqui is currently buggy as all hell. You won't have enough consistency with her. Granted, you could spam her guns lol.

I've never put in this much focus into an FG so all the input is appreciated. I literally went through the whole roster in practice mode, and Cassie really felt natural (combos were easy to put together, run cancelling not too bad, felt very fluid) so I'll probably put quan aside for now and focus on the Cassie who clicked more :D

I'd say stick with Kotal, just because Jacqui is currently buggy as all hell. You won't have enough consistency with her. Granted, you could spam her guns lol.
Haha! spamming them shits isn't always the answer tho. I do feel she's harder with the run kombos and some of her good strings for pressure straight wiff all the time!

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
For me it was Kenshi but then when I saw the uphill struggle and wasn't motivated to play him I started playing around with other characters.

I'm torn between SZ, Raiden, and Jax. Been playing Raiden and Jax more recently.

It's gonna take time to find out who suits you. Unfortunately who you really want to play and who you feel most comfortable with doesn't always happen.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I know how you feel. I mained Johnny Cage back in MK9, but he just doesn't fit my playstyle as much this time around. He's a solid character, no doubt about it, but he doesn't feel like he does rushdown as well. With enough practice, I'm sure that I'll get good with him again, which is why I keep him as my secondary since I've stuck with him for so long, but I've switched to Outlaw Erron Black as my main.

Fattius

Noob
Long story short, I've been playing Quan since I got the game (about a month now). I understand that he is a very strong character, and I've done a lot of practice and research but I can't seem to do well with him. Maybe just not my style? On one hand I want to learn someone different, but on the other I put so much time into Quan Chi that I really want to succeed with him. Anyone else have this experience? I get the whole sunk cost thing, but it's kind of frustrating to put all this work into learning a character and get next to nowhere with him/her. /rant
Same here friend I've put well 40+ hours into the training with warlock quan yet still fail on him every time I try online. I want to use but just can't I accepted it and moved onto jax. I secretly think about my Quan love now and again and cry but I can't say I am not happy with jax.

Mint

too weird to live, too rare to die
I just dumped Kung Jin after I realized how big of a dickhead I was for playing him. Now I switched to warlock Quan. And although I'm losing a lot more now I'm having a lot more fun. And that's what its all about right?!

Jeremy vega

Kung Lao is the GOAT
I had somewhat of the same issue. My main has been Kung Lao since MK9 and I knew I was never going to change that, but when I saw the kind of damage top tiers were doing to me meterless I thought I was always going to be fighting an uphill battle. But that isn't the case.

1.) Assess your game. Recognize where it's at that you're getting punish and what areas you can exploit more.

2.) Have a plan. What am I doing in neutral, what's the setup etc.

3.) Know your quickest and most reliable BnBs like the back of your hand and know the block strings for your MU. Block correctly and you're in the money.

4.) Last but not least, make sure you're taking advantage of EVERYTHING your character has to offer. Been a day 1 main with Kung Lao and I just realized that I just started zoning effectively because I forgot about the anti air buzzsaw.

Only time and the lab can fix this. I say stick it out. Rich Homie Quan Chi is the truth.

Last edited:

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Very strange...I've gone through about 5 characters since the game came out, and then I fell in love with Summoner Quan Chi in tournaments. Got super comfortable in practice with him, learned all of his combos and setups, etc...(Ex: I'd spend a few hours with SZ, Sonya, Reptile, and after some online matches, I'd have a feel for "footsies" and just general gameplay stuffs with those characters.)

With Quan, I was roughly maybe 30 matches in with him, and I still had issues. Only saying this as a comparison, but with the other characters I played, I maintained something like a 70-85% w/l rate after my first few matches. Quan was so much harder to "get working" as it took me until yesterday to start to play him with minimal flaws. Learning when to use b2 and stuff took a bit longer, and I also had an issue for a long time when b2 xx rune wouldn't come out online. Anyways, whoever you REALLY want to play...keep playing.

And FYI I don't throw people in the 15ish% "unblockable" blender over and over because that's not actual winning online. As of now, my w/l with him is a whopping 56%. Everyone else who I "mained" for a bit with at least 50 games played is minimum 75%. Perseverance is key.