What's new

Dumping your main?

Long story short, I've been playing Quan since I got the game (about a month now). I understand that he is a very strong character, and I've done a lot of practice and research but I can't seem to do well with him. Maybe just not my style? On one hand I want to learn someone different, but on the other I put so much time into Quan Chi that I really want to succeed with him. Anyone else have this experience? I get the whole sunk cost thing, but it's kind of frustrating to put all this work into learning a character and get next to nowhere with him/her. /rant

TKB

Noob
Sounds like you've got a classic case of character crisis. Happens to the best of us. To me, the character really has to speak to me to invest my time into learning them. You will be significantly more motivated to get good with a character that you really like and enjoy. If Quan is the character you love most, stick it out and keep grinding.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I forced myself to play zod in injustice because i thought he was to cool not to play (back when I was scrub) he was very hard for me but I actually became really good with him. I was fighting competitive players and standing my own.

If you want to suceed with him and you like him. Go for it. Some people say play who feels comfortable but I prefer the character's themselves

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
eh, probably. This is more of an impulse rant than anything else tbh.
Nah dude. I swore Ermac was gonna be my main, learned all his big combos, figured out his vortex, had his stuff down to muscle memory. When I took him online or in matches against friends it just wasn't happening. Then I tried Kano out (a character I never thought I'd use) and spent a few days learning him and he just clicked. I was having fun playing with him and was winning matches consistently. Haven't looked back since!

Nah dude. I swore Ermac was gonna be my main, learned all his big combos, figured out his vortex, had his stuff down to muscle memory. When I took him online or in matches against friends it just wasn't happening. Then I tried Kano out (a character I never thought I'd use) and spent a few days learning him and he just clicked. I was having fun playing with him and was winning matches consistently. Haven't looked back since!
That's kind of the vibe I'm feeling. I picked random and ended up trying Kitana; surprsingly I felt pretty comfortable playing royal storm.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
to be honest back in the kenshi depression (AKA week 3 when everyone figured out kenshi sucked) i tried to switch characters but 2 things kept drawing me back to kenshi, 1) he is my favorite videogame character of all time 2) he just clicked. although when predator and tremor come out they will definitely be back up characters. but anyways you should find the character that clicks with you. kind of like how in sf4 i mained cody for 2 reasons, 1) he is my favorite sf/final fight character and 2) he clicked with me. sooo yeah i digress explore the cast and find who clicks with you

When it clicked do you mean that combos felt more natural or...? I like quan chi stylistically, but I think his tier is why I chose him and not the fact that I'm all that comfortable playing him outside of practice/cpu.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
When it clicked do you mean that combos felt more natural or...? I like quan chi stylistically, but I think his tier is why I chose him and not the fact that I'm all that comfortable playing him outside of practice/cpu.
basically the way the character is played, basically how if you are a hardcore rush down guy and you start playing a pure zoner, there isnt going to be a click, everything will feel awkward, you wont be able to use the character effectively, everything just feels off. while when a character clicks it is glorious and you can feel like you can use the character to its fullest potential. everything feels right. the playstyle, the combos, the tech. you feel right at home when a character clicks

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I am dropping Liu Kang to side bitch status. He was my day 1 main, and I still win with him quite a bit, he is just a nightmare to play online. And him having no decent anti air is really frustrating.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Long story short, I've been playing Quan since I got the game (about a month now). I understand that he is a very strong character, and I've done a lot of practice and research but I can't seem to do well with him. Maybe just not my style? On one hand I want to learn someone different, but on the other I put so much time into Quan Chi that I really want to succeed with him. Anyone else have this experience? I get the whole sunk cost thing, but it's kind of frustrating to put all this work into learning a character and get next to nowhere with him/her. /rant
I was prepared to give a fellow Kitana player the encouraging speech like, BUT SHE'S SO PRETTY. or something.
But a quan player? Eh okay. Look.

You don't solve problems by running from them. If you want to play Quan, figure him out.

1. What are the situations in which you don't know what to do? Find solutions. Read frame data, or learn how to avoid those situations whatsoever.
2. What makes you uncomfortable with your Quan play? Figure out what it is and how to circumvent it.
3. And for the Love of GOD. Do NOT pick up Kunt Jim.

I also have this issue on a daily basis. I want to main a tournament material character even though I don't compete. I like to see my main win tournaments. At the moment though I feel comfortable with Jason but he is not tournament material... :(

D4G

Win At All Cost
I also have this issue on a daily basis. I want to main a tournament material character even though I don't compete. I like to see my main win tournaments. At the moment though I feel comfortable with Jason but he is not tournament material... :(
Lol dude what? No offense but why?

Or you can be a casual like me and just play whoever you feel like. I dont intend to ever win ESL, just have fun playing, and if that means knowing a bunch of characters somewhat, then thats how ill be playing. I play decent with Quan Chi, Kano, Sub-Zero, Reptile and Cassie, and have now started playing a bit of Takeda. Will I ever get pr0? No, but I'm having fun as long as I'm not getting 75/25d by Erron Black.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I spent about 6 months finding my character in MK9, and I went through at least 6 characters in the process. It takes time sometimes. I got lucky with MKX and not only liked Quan's playstyle (warlock and sorcerer), but he didn't suck. On the other hand, I've gone through 3 characters already trying to find an alt I like. RIP Kotal, F/T, and Dvora.