What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Dropping combos like no other.

Durango

Enhancer
I've been using B2 B2 F421+3 as my primary corner combo (in Cryomancer). The timing between B2s is extremely strict, so I end up dropping the combo 50% of the time, even in Practice.

I tried simplifying the combo by using B2 242 F421+3. While it's much easier to land in Practice, it is nearly impossible to land properly online. The timing is again strict after B2 because, if they don't launch high enough, F4 misses completely. Otherwise, if you're 1 frame too late after 242, you will miss the grab in F421+3.

I'm seriously looking for help on either timing practice or finding a more reliable combo that damages in the 32%-38% margin that doesn't drop frequently. I can do Sub-Zero's B2 F421+3 and midscreen combos just fine. The corner ones are the ones that drop the worst. I've gotten to the point where B2 B2 is easier to hit online, and yet, still impractical (we're talking about a 50% vs. 35% accuracy difference).

I have more videos to post if anyone is interested, but right now, this pretty much sums up the corner combo woes.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
In the video, at 15 and 19 seconds, a second b2 would've hit when you timed your 2 for 242. I think it's just a state of mind, honestly. Do your combos off of muscle memory rather than visual because they aren't just frame or anything tight, so you don't have to look for ending animations.

Durango

Enhancer
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-grandmaster-guide.49883/page-8
Toward the bottom my post has a video and notations. For cryo, I'd assume b2 242 1 f421+3 would work.
Thanks for the input. However, upon going online one more time tonight, I can safely confirm that it is much easier to use B2 B2 for corner combos. Adding 1 didn't help to the previous one, and in general, it's just a harder input with more to worry about.

With B2 B2, you had to watch the moment Sub-Zero rises from the first B2. It is hard, and it can cause dropped combos, but you do tons of damage if you manage to nail it. I'm really trying to watch the frame animation and get better at it.

But if anyone has even more simplified combos to attempt, please post them here. If nothing else, we can sacrifice 5% damage and just do B2 F421+3 instead.

Durango

Enhancer
Anyone else have input on this? Would you prefer to risk dropping B2 B2 or simplify it into B2 D1 D1 and reduce damage, risking an enemy's comeback?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Durango,

I think you just need to follow soup's advice and start practicing off of muscle memory. b2 242 1 <ender> should be relatively simple and consistent. Even online in the corner. What I suspect is happening, is you get it down in the lab, but when you go online you're still waiting for the animation of the first b2 to end before continuing. And with input delay, that's going to be too late. I can tell you from experience that b2 242 is very forgiving. Take GM sub for example, I DO have different combos for playing online than I do offline. In the corner, I use b2 242 1 1 b12~clone or b2 b2 d1 b12~clone. Online i always use b2 242 1 1 11~clone. Hell, even before his changes in the patch, i was using b2 b2 d1 b12~clone.

You just need to acclimate yourself with the rhythm. Granted, yes, you will have to be on point since your window to confirm hitting the first b2 is effectively smaller, but if you get the rhythm down, you will have a much better time. I think in your case, your go to will probably need to be b2 242 1 f421+3.

Durango

Enhancer
Durango,

I think you just need to follow soup's advice and start practicing off of muscle memory. b2 242 1 <ender> should be relatively simple and consistent. Even online in the corner. What I suspect is happening, is you get it down in the lab, but when you go online you're still waiting for the animation of the first b2 to end before continuing. And with input delay, that's going to be too late. I can tell you from experience that b2 242 is very forgiving. Take GM sub for example, I DO have different combos for playing online than I do offline. In the corner, I use b2 242 1 1 b12~clone or b2 b2 d1 b12~clone. Online i always use b2 242 1 1 11~clone. Hell, even before his changes in the patch, i was using b2 b2 d1 b12~clone.

You just need to acclimate yourself with the rhythm. Granted, yes, you will have to be on point since your window to confirm hitting the first b2 is effectively smaller, but if you get the rhythm down, you will have a much better time. I think in your case, your go to will probably need to be b2 242 1 f421+3.
Thanks for the strong advice. I can definitely tell you've been down my road here.

grat advice I will try to apply it as well. I was also dropping B2, B2 online and couldn't figure out why. I didn't suspect the input delay is that big.