What's new

Don't like Interactables, eh?

Solo

Shadow Priest
I personally like them, but there are stages with little interactables. Ranging from 2 to 4 things.

Batcave - Lab and Lagoon.
Themyscira - Temple
Fortress of Solitude - Lab and Menagerie
Wayne Manor - Entrance
*Note - If you're in the Great Room, and you have a power character you can destroy the interactables.
Gotham City - Rooftop.
*Note - If you're in the Alley, and you have a power character you can destroy the interactables.
Stryker's Island - Cell Block

Those are stages I believe have the less interactable stuff.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I personally love them. Whenever I have a chance I use them.

MBDC notwithstanding I think Power characters benefit the most by being able to throw stuff at will. If mobility/gadget characters could move faster when hopping from interactables it would balance things out IMO.

I love them. I think it really adds another level to the game play. I think people just aren't accustomed to them. I know I still eat the globe on Atlantis right in the face when someone is standing next to it for 5 seconds :oops:

ApertureBlack

The Only Player On The Wii U
I dislike them, simply becuase they are unblockable and dont have damage scaling. Some also have huge hitboxes.

If they were blockable, I probably wouldnt have a problem with them.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Themiscyra has more than four interactables.

Two lion heads.
Fire pot on left corner.
Tree on right.
Background object for Z bounces.

I dislike them, simply becuase they are unblockable and dont have damage scaling. Some also have huge hitboxes.

If they were blockable, I probably wouldnt have a problem with them.
If they were blockable their threat would diminish greatly, they are great motivators to manage your presence on a stage and that doing nothing can sometimes lead to just eating interactables.

Part of their charm is giving wakeup options to characters that lack them, nothing says hello like fortress of solitude meterburned baby ship to the face and the ensuing epic combo :).

ApertureBlack

I dont really think stage hazards belong in a 2d fighter, at least at a competitive level. Sure they are fun and unique, but they simply allow for some characters to hhave options that they should or greatly increase their existing ones. Stuff like movement is fine though.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I hate the interactables, so I always pick Atlantis. Only two things you can throw (the snow globe thing and the big stone tablet) and the water in both corners (which is so easy to see coming).

EDIT: I don't count the interactables that you bounce people off of (are they really called Z bounces? I don't know...). They actually take some skill to utilize

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Interactables are part of this game's footsies. Footsies is about managing yours and your opponents positions and options at any given time. Turns out in this game there's a new layer of footsies and yomi. If anyone complains about them because their opponent uses them and they don't, not only are they limiting themselves but they are also risking to slip into scrub mindset.

Unless a major glitch/bug or broken strat is discovered to be related to interactables there's no reason to limit them or ban them.

trufenix

bye felicia
My bad, but the respawn position one?
Do you actually play, bro? All the ones that move literally move back and forth between both characters. And any character that can't use an interactible can destroyed said interactible (I think).

All the ones that don't move are so telegraphed its ridiculous. You know a minute in advance if somebody's going to pop the rocket or a piano or the dumpster. Some of them like the pig are tricky, but the second they hit you with it, you can literally do the same in retaliation.

I will grant you, its a bitch when Aquaman or Stroke or GL sits in the corner with an MB'd interactible on deck, but either you learn to lame them out of their hiding spot, or you go in and take your punishment then try to make up the difference.

ApertureBlack

Well, thats what im talking about. A zoner character can pick the side of the screen that they are at the advantage, and counterpicking stages doesnt seem very good for this type of game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I love playing people who only want atlantis

cuz there are some setups using the stationary interactables that are easy as piss.
I would suggest the gadget characters start blowing up the things that can be thrown or force the issue some other way. Most of the gadget chars can dash under the person jumping up the toss something. OR MBDC and full combo.

I hate the freaking watchtower.... just random flying drones is dumb.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Without interactables, some characters lose stuff. Need to get in, but have no mobility? The interactable can help. Need pressure escape? MB interactable. Know someone will use it? MB bounce right through it or bait it out and hit them out of it.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Well, thats what im talking about. A zoner character can pick the side of the screen that they are at the advantage, and counterpicking stages doesnt seem very good for this type of game.
Counter picking is not a problem because the game lets both players pick their stage and section they want to start in. Then in a simple coin toss it is decided who's favored or not. Now you will say it's luck and random. Same thing can be said about many aspects of the game.

Take meter for instance. For all purposes your opponent's meter is random. Yes, you can read your opponent's habits and patterns of meter usage, but you can't control what they decide to do with their meter and when. Yet we all have learned to deal with that. This applies to interactables as well.

Now about respawning interactables: how many of them are there? Watchtower, Asylums, Metropolis' rooftop (this is from the top of my head)? Watchtower drones are available for both players and all types of characters, the Asylums only have the sitting flower in one corner of one section, Metropolis's rooftop has the robots available equally and in only one of three sections. There's a reason why transitions exists: you don't like where you are, well combo or armor your opponent into a transition.

And any character that can't use an interactible can destroyed said interactible (I think).
Actually not entirely true, I don't know if they have their own designation but a subset of gadget characters(the agile characters without the gadgets ) like Flash and Frost can only jump off items. I don't know any others that have that.

All the ones that don't move are so telegraphed its ridiculous. You know a minute in advance if somebody's going to pop the rocket or a piano or the dumpster. Some of them like the pig are tricky, but the second they hit you with it, you can literally do the same in retaliation.
I indeed think objects are very well balanced at the moment. The drones on watchtower are the first thing I wonder about because they always come from the same direction, then again, I like that the stage can force a desire to be on a certain side. I love all the extra mindgames and nuances every stage has. When I'm Adam I prefer fortress lab or Atlantis, for my Hawkgirl I prefer Asylum or Ferris, it's just such an interesting extra mechanic in matches.

I love that moment of realisation when they grab a TV and I go, oh well, thats what I get for just letting him stand there. If they are too predictable dashes are fast enough to get in under and full punish a lot off off the ground interactables.

trufenix

bye felicia
Actually not entirely true, I don't know if they have their own designation but a subset of gadget characters(the agile characters without the gadgets ) like Flash and Frost can only jump off items. I don't know any others that have that.
Flash and Frost can't destroy interactibles? Can anyone confirm this? I want to say I have seen Flash break stuff.