What's new

Done with FGC Competitively. So Let's Clear The Air and Teach Some Things

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I am complete horse shit at fighting games, well not complete trash, but I am not top. I generally do not have a big issue getting games with folks. I am pretty outgoing online and cordial. I play to get better with the time I have, but that is limited due to real life and raising a family. Sounds like you're just not having fun anymore. Your competitive nature/personality seems to have rub people the wrong way it seems. In my opinion, I think you just need to stop forcing the issue on folks who you want games with. There are THOUSANDS, REPEAT THOUSANDS, of competent players world wide you can get games with. If the top echelon of players do not want to play with you, so be it. Leave it be, stop trying to impose yoursel with people who do not want to play. Make your own way as @shujinkydink stated earlier.

When I was training for the Golden Gloves, there were was not a line of former champs for me to spar with. You just got work with the guys available and drilled and honed your skills. Most upcoming fighters do not have top comp sparring with them. Mayweather may have Errol Spence and Zab Judah sparring with him because he is the top of the mountain, but thats how it is.

Your points about having the means to travel and play are accurate. You shouldn't be investing in it if it sacrifices your own lively hood.

9_Lives

Noob
I would love to play everyone, but I can't in good conscience do it now that I've moved last week and can only get WiFi. QQ

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
I may not be like theo level top player but i do play people when they ask. I just hate getting clipped and uploaded or people bragging about online sets but if you ask to play? 9 times out of 10 ill give anyone games. Thing is sometimes a lot of people ask or dm and when you dont see it, you get insta labled as hollywood..

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I have decided today that I will no longer play fighting games competitively.

I was going to walk into this forum, talk about how much I loved my time here and how the experience has been incredible. But I'm not in the business of lying to people. So let me tell you all the truth about this community :)

Bye community, I'll be watching from afar.
Sad to see someone REAL just up and leave but you won't be the first or the last one who's real and gone.

Go have fun instead.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
Yeah man EU players just fly all over the continent for casuals lmfao
You know I couldn't even get people to travel 16 miles during inj1. I'm literally half way between Leeds and Manchester and players from neither city were willing to travel to the other to play offline. It's about £14 on the train lol.

I can kinda see the OP's point though things have changed a lot I think. I remember during inj1 actually making friends on this site, some of which I played sets with for the life of the game and beyond. I can remember sending top character reps messages and being given great advice- heck Deg once told me all of his max damage conversions for Zaranna, even stuff I hadn't seen him do on stream or at tourney. I thought coming back for inj2 with an open server was going to be immense. Turns out it's even harder to get games in.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
The idea that there is a ~popular clique~ in the Mortal Kombat nerd scene in particular is so hilarious.

I could get games if I wanted to and I'm absolute garbo. The secret is... I'm nice... to people...

We're all just dorks who liked Mortal Kombat 2 too much at the bowling alley back in the day. FinalBoss is out here acting like he can't get into Studio 54.

AeWhole

Noob
I may not be like theo level top player but i do play people when they ask. I just hate getting clipped and uploaded or people bragging about online sets but if you ask to play? 9 times out of 10 ill give anyone games. Thing is sometimes a lot of people ask or dm and when you dont see it, you get insta labled as hollywood..
I feel like this is the case more than anything. There are a lot of good players out there less than half of them travel for offline games. Then, when you don't play with your offline friends and you play with someone else in another state you get snuffed by offline friends or vice versa. People get their feelings way to hurt. It's only game and I am only one person.

The idea that there is a ~popular clique~ in the Mortal Kombat nerd scene in particular is so hilarious.

I could get games if I wanted to and I'm absolute garbo. The secret is... I'm nice... to people...

We're all just dorks who liked Mortal Kombat 2 too much at the bowling alley back in the day. FinalBoss is out here acting like he can't get into Studio 54.
lol I remember when I was a wee lad @ the Steeple Gate Mall Arcade in Concord New Hampshire. MK3 had just dropped and my Sub and Kabal were on point. I had only played the console version at the time and there was a line of around 6 or 7 kids that I kept mopping. Didn't lose for quite awhile but eventually some one took me down. Man that was a good memory. Thanks!!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
What's your psn?

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Dude, you can drive 3 hours in any direction in EU and be in another country. They don't live too far away from each other and the scene isn't nearly as big. You think they never played top EU players?
Lul. Out of this whole thread this made me laugh the most. Highly Depends on where you live. For the most part you most certainly can not, let alone where people play or have a scene. This is a common bill sold to most Americans. It's like saying you live on the east coast so it's whatever to make it to any scene there. Which isn't even close to how it actually is.

But other than that much of your post is quite true. Though the only players that pissed me off never did anything to me. I just thought they were highly immature people and didn't like how they act, treated players and people in general etc. just form observation. I have a good decade on them so that's likely a big factor there. The community is fickle and certainly cliquey. Especially at events. I'm never touching a top 8 so I go to play the game, support the scene, and overall have a good time.

As for the people who bum rides, floors, and beg for food. I've heard it. I just roll my eye's. They will either learn or being stupid should hurt.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
...but I'm speaking specifically on the very top players disregarding people they even know. Most of them know me, I socialize, I've been in parties and made them laugh. I'm not nobody. My point is the top players WILL NOT GIVE YOU GAMES MOST OF THE TIME. So stop trying. Do your thing with other people. Even as somebody who has placed and was well known in the community, I can't get games with people who a year ago would play long sets with me. THAT'S MY POINT. Don't wonder why top 8s are the same 10-12 players over and over...you aren't supposed to ask these questions. You are supposed to play other people who don't make top 8s until you earn your chance to play vs most of them in long, informative sets.
it's jarring how entitled you're coming off here, man. as many others have stated already, being a generally cool guy ("i've been in parties and made them laugh" notwithstanding, what the hell does that even mean?) will get you further than just being an above-average player. i'd rather play a FT10 with a person i enjoy being around who's just alright at the game than have a FT3 with a better player who may be a little cunty. it's very telling on your part that you continue to insist it's these "top players'" fault for not giving you games, refusing to yield to the possibility that you may be the issue, and especially after all this testimony from lesser known or lower-placing players that acknowledge that they've gotten sets simply by asking for them. (case in point: i get invited to the atlanta tekken house on a regular basis to play with anakin, speedkicks, and the rest of the killers in the southeast because i [think] i'm generally fun to be around, not because i'm worth a shit at tekken. personality goes a long way.)

at the end of the day, no one owes you a set, and it is whiny of you (and anyone else) to say "so and so won't play with me!" like you're tattling on another kid on the playground. if one person doesn't want to play with you, maybe he's a dick. when it becomes a pattern, maybe it's you. who knows¿

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
This thread. Can't even read all of it because on the first 2 pages alone there were so many off topic and irrelevant posts.

It's sad to see someone go, but if you're not having fun I can only wish you the best.

Could this be exactly what FinalBoss_FGC is talking about? disrespecting players that aren't shelling out thousands of dollars on flights/hotells..... Since you aren't showing up on youtube/tourneys every single weekend juggs, I guess your garbage?

I've seen Juggs post, he's one of those competitive-minded people who are helping foster a growing FGC of new-er players.... he is good at 'teaching' as I think it was referred to in this thread.... these games and these communities sure as hell aren't inviting/welcoming to new players. And they sure as hell aren't intuitive for new players either (hence why so many casual players are on this site)
Yeah. @Juggs was one of the first people on here to greet me and give me pointers as a newbie. He's definitely earned my respect.

Crozz was pretty good in mkx, I think I lost to his Kung jin in esl. I feel like people dont recognize his new tag. Exile use to run tournaments online which were fun. I definitely feel their is a top player clique, but ultimately getting better is on you and not top players. As a low level player I got so much better during the mkx online demo because of the improved netcode and I actually got to play better players. I usually dont post on tym, but tom's video has some truth to it. At the end of the day I only have myself to blame for not getting better.