What's new

Does the chance of "Not being the best" hurt your ego to attempt to main a character?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
It's always neat to have a character that you feel is "yours". To be honest, I really wanted to play Kung Lao before the game came out since I played him all the time in MK2. But after his extreme and quick rise to popularity I chose the character I used in MK3 (never played either games competitively), Sektor. So I guess you could say I made the change due to others playing a character - but more so due to him being over exposed than thinking I'm the best with a character.

@FoxyGrampa - I wish there was a way I could play some EU players. There's this guy...Ketchup... I hear he's free.
I wish I could play some Sektor against UK's best as well! Seriously you guys just need to come to America and compete, your heads wouldn't be as big as they are right now if you did.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I wish I could play some Sektor against UK's best as well! Seriously you guys just need to come to America and compete, your heads wouldn't be as big as they are right now if you did.

Lol......... Can you plz explain me the reason of that statement ? Because as far for Ermac i havent seen anyone in the US using him at his full potential. Correct me if i m wrong and show me some footage.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I main Raiden, and in a way I kind of see myself as the player most representing him. I've mained him in every MK game he was in. I like to think of myself as the best player for my character, but the fact of the matter is not too many people represent him at a high level. The most known Raiden players besides myself are JOP and Justin Wong, and I've been told by several people that neither one of theirs is anything like mine. These happen to be the only two Raiden players I was somewhat impressed with (JOP at PDP, not EVO, and JWong at Sin City Heat).

JWong is just an overall great fighting game player with great fundamentals, but he doesn't really invest much time into MK or know the character as thouroughly.

I've played against and beat many top, known tournament players offline (not going to mention any names), and most of them (win or lose) say I'm the best Raiden they have seen or played against by far. I didn't go around claiming I was the best Raiden, I've basically just played against great players and that's what they all say.

Sure I feel a little cocky about it sometimes (moreso confident), but that's only because I have so much experience.

I'm sure there are other Raidens similar to me who simply haven't surfaced, and I know anyone who is fundamentally good at this game could pick the character up and learn to play him in a similar manner. Only some things come with experience, though.

Besides Raiden I at least have the basics down for most of the roster, save for a few characters.

I loled @ UK players being better than US players with their respective characters. Naturally I understand you'd like to think so, but that's essentially not true.

The only impressive thing I seen from Nivek is aa jump punch into B312 superman, unfortunately. Dont get me wrong his Raiden is good, but from what I seen he played sub optimally, and inconsistently.
Who are currently the best Ermac,Raiden and Quan Chi players in the US ?

CoolStoryBro

Reppin' The Royalty!
I actually dont mind tbh. I mained mileena becuase i watched a guys combo video. Lol. Im happy with my mileena, its far from shit, and far from the most awesome ever, but it works for me. Your gonna get compared to other people in everything you do in life, just shake it off and get on with it. In my eyes, you play a character becuase you love playing said character, not becuase you want everyone to look at you in awe and say ' my god s/hes beast' - if you win with your character and are able to keep doing so.. your doing a good job! Rep Your Fighter not yourself! :)
- CSB

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I actually dont mind tbh. I mained mileena becuase i watched a guys combo video. Lol. Im happy with my mileena, its far from shit, and far from the most awesome ever, but it works for me. Your gonna get compared to other people in everything you do in life, just shake it off and get on with it. In my eyes, you play a character becuase you love playing said character, not becuase you want everyone to look at you in awe and say ' my god s/hes beast' - if you win with your character and are able to keep doing so.. your doing a good job! Rep Your Fighter not yourself! :)
- CSB
I couldnt agree more with this post. Well said.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Who are currently the best Ermac,Raiden and Quan Chi players in the US ?
After Under_the_mayo released the quan chi guide there has been a whole army of quan chi players doing what Hidan is doing. It looks impressive because nobody ever blocks his mix ups correctly.

Krayzie Bone plays a pretty good Ermac, go to the front page of TYM.

Soooo many great Raidens. BW1ZZ, JOP, Justin Wong just to name a few.

But that is just me answering your question. My point is that UK/EU seems to always place themselves above US, I have a feeling that if the world met up US would come out on top.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Eh it's not always the case. Look at Erik Warda...he's turned some heads after every one said Mike had the best Kabal.
I agree. I believe Erik fought Mike and destroyed him, at the same time beating players beaten by Mike. To be honest, I was shocked, cause Michaelangelo was "that Kabal player" lol. Anyway, it doesn't matter if someone is claimed to be somebody, there is always someone better, which might be you. I play Jade and after seeing the latest "Tier list" by REO and Brady a quick thought flashed in my mind, like "no way, I can't use a low tier, I have no chance of winning, I must learn at least one top tier etc.", but then it stopped and I just keep learning my character, cause I don't feel I learnt her to her best and I certainly don't feel like I can lose to some scrub just because he's playing top tier. The most important is that, for me, I am "that Jade player", others are just others who I can learn from or kick their asses.

Oh yeah, and to be completely honest, I am playing Johnny Cage from launch too, it's that just now I will learn him more seriously, just for backup ;)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Everyone has so much character pride in this game. Just play the game with whoever is the most fun and don't worry about whether or not the community is going to view you as the hero with x character. The best players pick whatever character they have fun with, who they think they will be successful with and they focus on being the "best player".

webreg

Noob
I'm neither US, UK or Greek but I watch almost every stream and tournament and I have to say, that some of those UK players seem to be at least equal in proficiency of certain characters to the names that are tossed around in US territory. But Americans have a well established history of thinking they are the best and that won't change even if some Greek would fly over and kick their asses so this discussion is kind of moot.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
After Under_the_mayo released the quan chi guide there has been a whole army of quan chi players doing what Hidan is doing. It looks impressive because nobody ever blocks his mix ups correctly.
1st its not easy to predict what QC will do cause after 11 skydrop he has more than 3 options to mixup his game.Are you a master of fuzzy guard ?
And 2nd Hidan found all these things on QC on his own.Can you send me some footage of your QC players over the US ?
Plus we never said that we are the best in the world, those words came out of your mouth.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
1st its not easy to predict what QC will do cause after 11 skydrop he has more than 3 options to mixup his game.Are you a master of fuzzy guard ?
And 2nd Hidan found all these things on QC on his own.Can you send me some footage of your QC players over the US ?
Plus we never said that we are the best in the world, those words came out of your mouth.
Here's the best piece of advice I can give you when frustrated with mix ups. Start blocking low when you know they are coming and release down if you see an overhead coming.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Here's the best piece of advice I can give you when frustrated with mix ups. Start blocking low when you know they are coming and release down if you see an overhead coming.
I wasnt asking for advice.I know what fuzzy is. I just wanted to make my point.Truth be told all i said is that EU can compete against the US in high lvl gameplay.I never said that EU is better than the US, as none of the EU players here said that.So how come you say that we are better than the US when clearly no one said that.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
As a Noob Saibot player, I'm not really intimidated with not being the best.
In fact, I look to other Saibot mainers as brothers, not superiors per se.

And since there's not really anybody showing off Noob at any tournies, it makes me proud to see people use him.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I'm not intimitated with not being the best, but I love to compete and show my best everytime I can.
I also love mirrors, because I think they are a great opportunity to understand something new and improve my game.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I'm not intimitated with not being the best, but I love to compete and show my best everytime I can.
I also love mirrors, because I think they are a great opportunity to understand something new and improve my game.
I don't know how much fun they are to play, but Sub mirrors need to be time lapsed when viewing.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Im not the best in the world with any character & never will be (unless you all die), but im the best in my house, just ask my
2yr old daughter, I beat her all the time.

Thats all that matters :)

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Does not being the best hurts my ego? No. I'm definitely not the best player of my main, but where I live I'm known as "the guy who has that sick Mileena" :p

Zyns

Grodd for Injustice 3
I'm nowhere near the best Liu, but he's always been my fave character so I have no plans of dropping him

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I Nah, doesn't hurt my ego, I main sub after all. Pretty big shadows to live in when it comes to trying to be the best.

-b_s- :headbang:

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
I play Kitana in every MK because she's the greatest character ever. I'll never change. Ever.

I will say I hope she doesn't become super mega popular. I hate stigmas attached to certain characters and with the way he FGC is, there's no way to change a collective thought. However, NOTHING will stop me from playing Kitana.

...Unless they remove her from the next iteration. Which in turn would prevent me from buying it.

On a side note:
Zyns...what's up with the Rainbow-Ponies?

Zyns

Grodd for Injustice 3
I play Kitana in every MK because she's the greatest character ever. I'll never change. Ever.

I will say I hope she doesn't become super mega popular. I hate stigmas attached to certain characters and with the way he FGC is, there's no way to change a collective thought. However, NOTHING will stop me from playing Kitana.

...Unless they remove her from the next iteration. Which in turn would prevent me from buying it.

On a side note:
Zyns...what's up with the Rainbow-Ponies?
They're from the show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's actually an awesome show.

CoolStoryBro

Reppin' The Royalty!
Does not being the best hurts my ego? No. I'm definitely not the best player of my main, but where I live I'm known as "the guy who has that sick Mileena" :p
- exactly. I've been told i have a very nice mileena and sonya many times.. But if you let your ego get the best of you and it starts going to your head, bad shits gonna happen. Little things such as ' im going to take this huge risk thats not really worth it, becuase im so beast that i can bring it back even if becuase of this my ass is handed to me' and so forth.. Ego/pride makes you do crazy things! But im sure people will agree, its nice to get praise for your fighter, makes your work wothwhile, but start letting your head grow, you'll start to blow. - See what i there? it rhymed ;) - i like to rhyme, makes me feel cool. Lol JK.
- CSB