What's new

Does playing online make you worse offline?

Do you think changing your strategy and fighting style to adapt to the input delay actually makes you worse offline? This game really isn't tailored for online play, so tell me... Should an aspiring competitive player play online to practice against human players, or is that a waste of time?

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Do you think changing your strategy and fighting style to adapt to the input delay actually makes you worse offline? This game really isn't tailored for online play, so tell me... Should an aspiring competitive player play online to practice against human players, or is that a waste of time?
It will only make you worse if you specifically avoid tactics, or combo situations that you would do offline, because it will instill habits in you that you wouldn't normally have. So...always go for offline tactics/combos even if you are afraid of the drop.

Sparingly in sets, probably not. You get to get a feel for what other players will go for. However if you plan on playing ranked/player matches with randoms and TYMers for LONG periods of time. To the point where its your primary source for games. You're guaranteed at that point to pick up bad habits and falling under the illusion that something is safe when it will get you punished 9/10 times offline. It also works in reverse. Some things online play will leave you to believe is safe is actually punishable online. Therefore in offline sets you'll be prone to let people get away with murder.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
It can do if you aren't aware you're picking up bad habits, for example:

*opponent gets hit by poke*
-
*they poke you back and your mid gets beat*

That is on line and if you don't test it you may think you can get away with that, where offline in that same situation you will get blown up for doing that.

On line is great for match up experience and getting an idea of what to look at, one thing I would recommend is trying to find regular people to play with. Playing nothing but on line ranked can really get you into bad habits as you're ever playing a first to one.

And try not to get mad :D

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
the worst issue i had with playing online is i had to learn anti-scrub tactics, so because i had to learn these when a good player comes along they wreck me because all i know how to do is blow up stupidity.

You also have to get used too doing combos without latency which sometimes you'll inputs things too fast or not know what actually works and what doesn't work because of how online really is.

It screws up your combo timing, that's about it. Depending on the character that could be vital or meaningless. Frame data exists so you should know what is and is not punishable by default.

It screws up your combo timing, that's about it. Depending on the character that could be vital or meaningless. Frame data exists so you should know what is and is not punishable by default.
But reactions to the opponent are the bigger issue. You may have the mind set that a particular move on a character is safe when really, it can be easily punished. Things like that that make online questionable.

E

Eldriken

I don't think it does so long as you're able to adapt as you play. If you stick to the online mentality the entire time you're playing offline, you're gonna get blown up more than likely.

Not being able to punish a -14 move with 6~11f normals. Such fun times to be had in Online world.
Ducking a projectile launched from full screen. Can't do it on a "4 bar" connection.

E

Eldriken

In all honesty - it can't help.
I think it can provided you have a decent connection with people that you regularly play. You can still learn MUs and such playing online. It all boils down to being able to carry that knowledge with you to an offline environment and adjusting as needed. If you can punish with something better offline than you could online, you need to realize that and start doing your optimal punish.