What's new

Do you move onto a new style or a new character first?

Durango

Enhancer
When you've finally picked your main and practiced with them till you start getting comfortable, what do you work on next? A style or a new character?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Depends on the character, I feel like mileena's other 2 variations are just bad versions of piercing so I've moved on to training with cassie cage.
With cassie, I plan to learn both spec ops and hollywood.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I mean, when you learn your character in this game you learn three different options for your character in a sense. So basically i would complete everything i need to know about that character and then move on to the next one.

Durango

Enhancer
I mean, when you learn your character in this game you learn three different options for your character in a sense. So basically i would complete everything i need to know about that character and then move on to the next one.
Strongly depends. I'm a Sub-Zero main who uses Cryomancer. I'm learning a bit of Grandmaster, but only as an option. I don't feel obligated to learn Unbreakable at this moment. I feel more inclined to move onto learning Kung Jin, Scorpion, and Erron Black at this point.

Beach

La mejor playa
It depends, now that I'm satisfied with my ability in Erron Black Outlaw I'm moving on to better learn Marksman. Zoning vs. Oki pressure so I'd say I'll switch style first.

How long is everyone staying on their mains before they start to branch out? I feel like I have all my Bnb's, almost every combination of kombo/cancel with specials, and I feel like I'm burning out on my main, Ermac. Should I strive to learn more before I start to expand my characters and variations, or do I have more to expand on with the mac?

How long is everyone staying on their mains before they start to branch out? I feel like I have all my Bnb's, almost every combination of kombo/cancel with specials, and I feel like I'm burning out on my main, Ermac. Should I strive to learn more before I start to expand my characters and variations, or do I have more to expand on with the mac?
10 years. lol some people do try learn the whole cast by now already from some streams i seen. Being character loyal can also make you strong though. Up to you

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
When this game dropped I thought I'd be 100% Hollywood, but I've learned that Spec Ops has its uses in matchups where it's hard to get in. I'm going to start putting more time into it after I'm completely satisfied with my Hollywood game.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I tend to try other toons before going into the individual variations. I think that many of the variations are rather subtle, as in you can do pretty well using which ever one you like. The great thing about the variations is that you can counter pick with out going to a completely new toon. As The Boss said Spec Ops Cassie is particularly good for dealing with Zoners. Switching Ferra/Tor from Vicious / Ruthless to Lackey is a great way to deal with rush down characters for that toon.

So the way I see it is that any Variation has its value, and unless you have picked a toon for serious play there is not much need to get right into every variation. So learn a new toon instead. If you are planning to go to a event then I think you would probably need at least 2 variations (depending on how different they are)

I find rotating through a character's variations teaches you more about their capabilities and how to optimize damage - as some strings/normals/ moves are only accessible in one variation. I started with Piercing with Mileena and decided to move to Ethereal - I figured with Ethereal I could use her overhead string more often, going into a combo if I could hit confirm or smoke-away if blocked. Without the sai attacks and low sai of Piercing I had to completely rethink my combos to maximize damage and play to thevariations strength.

What happened?

Well I found a BnB in Ethereal that optimized damage I could do in Piercing, I looked a lot into knock down setups and safe strings in Ethereal which completely changed my neutral/ set up game in Piercing. If anything Ethereal helped me round out my Mileena while still providing an alternative style that was more focused on keep maneuverability.

Durango

Enhancer
I find rotating through a character's variations teaches you more about their capabilities and how to optimize damage - as some strings/normals/ moves are only accessible in one variation. I started with Piercing with Mileena and decided to move to Ethereal - I figured with Ethereal I could use her overhead string more often, going into a combo if I could hit confirm or smoke-away if blocked. Without the sai attacks and low sai of Piercing I had to completely rethink my combos to maximize damage and play to thevariations strength.

What happened?

Well I found a BnB in Ethereal that optimized damage I could do in Piercing, I looked a lot into knock down setups and safe strings in Ethereal which completely changed my neutral/ set up game in Piercing. If anything Ethereal helped me round out my Mileena while still providing an alternative style that was more focused on keep maneuverability.
Yeah. But Grandmaster isn't really my style, which is ironic since Sub-Zero was my main in the rest of the MK series (including MK9) and I used Ice Clones and corner traps like no other. If I'm in a bad matchup situation, I need to train it though so I can decide whether I want to use Grandmaster or outright switch to a secondary, like Kung Jin, Scorpion, or Erron Black.

Yeah. But Grandmaster isn't really my style, which is ironic since Sub-Zero was my main in the rest of the MK series (including MK9) and I used Ice Clones and corner traps like no other. If I'm in a bad matchup situation, I need to train it though so I can decide whether I want to use Grandmaster or outright switch to a secondary, like Kung Jin, Scorpion, or Erron Black.
I don't know too much about Grandmaster but I understand that Ice Klone got a pretty sizable buff from MK9. The klone alone lets you set the pace for any and all match ups. My intuition tells me Grandmaster would probably just help you learn a little better how to convert off freeze-confirms into setups. That's just my thought. Sub-Zero strikes me as one of the few characters that can legitimately cover all threats with his variations. He's pretty potent.