What's new

Do you hope your character(s) of choice is/are top tier?

dont rly care tbh
even if my character is trash tier I will be playing him and maybe secondary another character with the time which fits my style
Guile was trash tier in SF4 vanilla and Ive mained him the first 2 years until SSF4 came out and made Guile OP lol

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The problem with playing "low tier hero" however (and I'm surprised @SaltShaker hasnt spoken on this) is the learning curve and earned victories are a MUCH steeper road to climb, then picking OP/Broken character of the minute.

Hypothetical Scenario:
-Kung Lao is face roll, OP, broken, easily S tier.
-Sonya is nerfed, neutered, slow, and Shit tier.
It is easier for the masses to pick up a Kung Lao and derp their way to victories (with just a broken move set and/or top tier pro player tech, to watch, learn, and emulate), then it will be for the "Sonya army" To have one to a handful of top tier players repping them and making them as viable as possible, and God forbid winning.

As a side note: IMO - tier lists only enforce this part of the game, and form an almost "ugly meta" to where people feel- broken and OP is the only way to win- so in the finals of said series, you only see the same 2-4 characters played over and over, because easy > work when all is said and done- for the love of the W.
Somehow I kept missing this thread. But yea, I'm not ever again playing a character that isn't at least Top 10 and I couldn't feel more strongly about it.

For you to put in so much time, hours on hours, months, years, into a character just for them to still be crushed by a crappy 3-7 MU because your opponent is "also good" is worth nothing. No glory. No honor. Nothing. Nothing but a loss that no one wants to hear an excuse for. The only reason why it's considered "hype" when you saw a Green Arrow or Ares in a Top 8 is because you didn't expect it to happen. As a player, being competitive comes first.

There's been times I know my character just didn't have the proper tools for a MU. I don't think I've ever beaten anyone's Doomsday or MMH in 2+ years, but I've beaten or at least went toe to toe with many notable players of damn near every other character. There's that feeling of "if I played Zod or Aquaman, maybe even Sinestro instead, wouldn't it have been different?". I believe certain MU's would have for sure and possibly my overall performance. Nah, not anymore.

Characters do impact a portion of each matches outcome. In MKX I'm making sure that the skill level I reach is extended with a character designed for winning. Nothing less.

Tier lists are 100% subjective, so I don't really care if some people claim my character is top tier or bottom tier. Tier lists and match-up numbers always end up just being excuses for players, so they're pointless to me. If you say I only beat you because of my character, oh well, at least I still beat you, and you're just gonna have to hold that L.
Well the funny thing about tier list is that they don't really matter unless you are at the highest lv (basically sonic fox or PL level for ex). I hope that Jackie is at least mid tier so she doesn't get crushed by broken stuff found later on.