What's new

Do players know what they actually want in MKX?

It just appears to me that so many people are complaining or praising on such a different level.

Do we feel worse for NRS or the players?

Can you really please everyone?

Do people really just want a competitive game to be played mindlessly?

Do people really want tournament players to be THE play testers and ACTUALLY have say in what goes into a patch?!?

Idk, share your thoughts and debate in this thread so other threads can remain on topic...

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I don't know what I want from this game. I'm enjoying myself a lot with this being a fighter I'm actually serious about. I think people want communication from the developer team and for their favorite character to at the very least compete at tournament or online play. I think people expect perfect balance, but you cant expect perfect balance when you factor in human skill and preference of fighting style.

Pleasing everyone is impossible and fans/players of the game acting like armchair developers really gets nowhere. I don't know. I just think that no matter what the developers do, it's always met with negative backlash. Nerf Tanya before EVO... Oh wait, we hate patches, stop patching the game, it hurts the game! Let the meta develop... Patch immediately before it becomes a giant issue. I really don't get this community sometimes.

My 2 cents. It's just a tiny rant.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Most of us just want the game to reward both defense and offense play style, right now defensive options are extremely weak.

All about that rush down and mix ups into vortex and chip damage.

Make backdashes cover more screen and fully invincible.
Make pushblocks 1/3 of super meter & 2/2 of stamina.
Give jump ins less priority and AAs grounded moves more of it. Make some d2s at least 3 frames faster.
Wake ups are fine as they are.
Make most unsafe 50/50s that lead to full combos more punishable. Etc etc

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
People pick a shitty character and rather than leveling up and playing with the tools they were given, they complain to the developers. They complain in hopes that the developers will give them a better character.

Rather than giving developers to look at the roster as a whole, they single it down to the characters people complain about the most. Which in turn, makes the variation system useless. Absolutely useless.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
People pick a shitty character and rather than leveling up and playing with the tools they were given, they complain to the developers. They complain in hopes that the developers will give them a better character.

Rather than giving developers to look at the roster as a whole, they single it down to the characters people complain about the most. Which in turn, makes the variation system useless. Absolutely useless.
The variation system has always been useless.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough

Agreed here. I'd rather have fun and use characters that I enjoy the playstyle with than being cream of the crop top tier. People good too hung up on matchups and 7-3 types of games and don't stick to their guns and just attempt to try it out. There will always be unfavorable matchups, but sometimes you can't think games too hard in terms of what moves/basic attacks beat other basic attacks or specials. Playing the game like an AI and always trying to find the optimal match-up instead of sticking to your guns and giving it your all with the character you're most familiar with somewhat baffles me. Sure, have pocket characters, but by god don't pick your 4th pocket to counter one guy's main.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince

I came to this realization last night after my second character I switched to got nerfed into the floor. It's almost close to the point where being character loyal and or using particular variations are obsolete because something changes every week

MK_Al

Noob
Most of us just want the game to reward both defense and offense play style, right now defensive options are extremely weak.

All about that rush down and mix ups into vortex and chip damage.

Make backdashes cover more screen and fully invincible.
Make pushblocks 1/3 of super meter & 2/2 of stamina.
Give jump ins less priority and AAs grounded moves more of it. Make some d2s at least 3 frames faster.
Wake ups are fine as they are.
Make most unsafe 50/50s that lead to full combos more punishable. Etc etc
"Make backdashes cover more screen and fully invincible" - There are chars with good backdashes, just pick one. I think some chars would be completely op if they had SZ/Kano backdashes.
"Make pushblocks 1/3 of super meter & 2/2 of stamina" - Hmmmm maybe
"Give jump ins less priority and AAs grounded moves more of it" - (Besides Kano-upball and some other I might not have noticed) most AA's seem to work well if you hit them early enough. NJP works wonders.
"Make some d2s at least 3 frames faster" - Why should every char be able to poke mindlessly? Even more when they have good range?
"Make most unsafe 50/50s that lead to full combos more punishable" - I'd say get rid of safe 50/50s.

I think you want the game to be more "rewarding in both offence and defence", but I don't see the "most of us".

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
It just appears to me that so many people are complaining or praising on such a different level.

Do we feel worse for NRS or the players?
I can see both sides, but ultimately, I'd side with the player. I'm not opposed to the patches at all--it's done fabulously for my character, and fixed some things that should have been fixed.

Can you really please everyone?
Nope, and I'm sure NRS knows that.

Do people really just want a competitive game to be played mindlessly?
I should hope not. It seems that way though when I'm watching a Tanya or Kung Lao match. ;P

Do people really want tournament players to be THE play testers and ACTUALLY have say in what goes into a patch?!?
I believe they should have a partial say. They are on the grand stage displaying the game, and their input should always be welcomed. At the same time though, I think every company should do their own research when it comes to what can be fixed or tweaked in a fighter.

I'm all about the things you said. I just don't know if I'd trust non designers having say in what a design studio makes.

Makes me think the inmates would be running the asylum.

Ok,

Here's my stance:

I don't trust MOST "tournament players" would be impartial to the entire cast. There are a few that would be, but the vast majority would want an OP top tier character that they have always loved. I Don't even know if I could sit and let mileena have no OH/low combo starter myself lol or Kenshi for that matter. I also know Kenshi is OP in other areas of his game which make him shine mid screen and punishes.

Listen, I'm a Mileena and kenshi player. Both characters have more bad traits than good... but you work with what you have and I have a strong record to show it is possible. I always play with high level opponents on and off stream. It is possible FGC to make a bad character good... lab the MU'S and you'll find there's more than just the lost of combo strings.

Anyway... dude, love all the responses. Keep this thing going.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
I only want a better netcode, cause some people complain so much about how simple things dont work in thier favor, but in actuality they need to practice more. The thing about online is that this shit is getting tedious and frustrating, & dont get me started on these weird new online hitbox glitches they've been having -_-

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
"Make backdashes cover more screen and fully invincible" - There are chars with good backdashes, just pick one. I think some chars would be completely op if they had SZ/Kano backdashes.
"Make pushblocks 1/3 of super meter & 2/2 of stamina" - Hmmmm maybe
"Give jump ins less priority and AAs grounded moves more of it" - (Besides Kano-upball and some other I might not have noticed) most AA's seem to work well if you hit them early enough. NJP works wonders.
"Make some d2s at least 3 frames faster" - Why should every char be able to poke mindlessly? Even more when they have good range?
"Make most unsafe 50/50s that lead to full combos more punishable" - I'd say get rid of safe 50/50s.

I think you want the game to be more "rewarding in both offence and defence", but I don't see the "most of us".
Agreed about almost everything but 2 things.

1. AAs are weak and jump attacks have too much priority. The footsie game looks a lot smarter with less jumps and more back and forward baiting etc.
Also as its right now its just too hard to whiff punish strings by walking back, reduce active frames and buff back walk.

2. D2s could be 2-3 faster but more punishable on block or whiff that would make them not "spamable". (God i hate that word)

If they only did this, MKX would be perfect, at least to me.