What's new

Do competitive Fighting game and real fight philosophy differ that much?

Do you think pro gamers would be good on a real life fighting if they did MA?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Pretty much every Tremor after whiffing a normal
There's no way I would have frozen there. I would have kicked him in his head before he had even completed the first roll.

The fighter perceived the roll as a threat. It wasn't. Perceiving threats from non-threats goes a long way.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Zoning and space control is a fair similarlity, but it's too abstract to apply more than conceptually. The zoning tool kit in both are outstandingly different. At best it can be an exercise in reads and mind games, which is fundamental to all competitive sports.

Punishes exist in all competitive sports as well.... But blocking in real life vs most fighting games are radically and fundamentally different as well as throws. Throws are just unblockable attacks... Don't tell me playing a grappler can give you some insight into ju jitsu cause that's silly.

What is in the fighting meta that isn't in a game? Depends on which sport and game of course. There is no pain or stamina which are being understated, additionally scoring in professional sports is not really being brought up, but playing to the judges exist. Lastly there are no first person fighters, so vision isn't the same kind of factor.

To conclude, there are similarities, visually and conceptually. But outside of a mindset that links all competitive sports, nothing really transfers.
Good post.

There are lots of things outside of physicality (which would include vision, pain, and endurance) that could be added into fighters that exist in no fighters as of right now...

For instance, there are attacks in real life that are setups. These types of attacks force you into that discipline's meta if you block them. For instance, you will never see a disciple of Shaolin ever block a back-fist unless they absolutely have to. Blocking a back-fist is like checkmate in chess if you don't have an escape plan, some knowledge of the soft arts, or backup. Once you block it, they'll use that arm to unbalance you and play off of it. Although block advantage exists, no blocked attack in any fighting game goes into what happens next.

Now, if I were just looking at 2D fighters - I would point out that damage is absolute in such games, but in real life a kick to the head and a kick to the arm does different types and amounts of damage.

What I know is boxing and kung fu, but I'm sure that fighters of other disciplines could point out other aspects that are missing that I am unaware of - and especially if they know fighting games.