What's new

Question - Summoner Dink's Summoner Match Up Chart!(Updated 10/30/15)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Free as Fluff MUs:

These MUs require quan to simutaneously enjoy a cup of netherrealm tea as he dismantles his opponents while talking to his mother on the phone.

Ninjitsu Scorpion

Poor @macro

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Imposter is a really tough matchup for any of Quan's variations, but would you mind speaking on it a little? He lacks the projectile and 3/4 screen armored low, and aside from F2, his range is pretty bad. What are Imposter players using to get in on you? Hell Sparks dissapear on hit, so if you're outside of jump range, you can rune on reaction to stuff sparks. Air teleport is pretty easily punished if its done higher than the first 1/4 of his jump arc.
Aerial teleport is easily stuffed. Instant aerial teleport is not. In my opinion, Imposter Shinnok has the best teleport in the game. Shinnok gets to juggle on hit using the neutral jumping punch while he is slightly advantageous on block. Neutral jumping kick leads to no juggle but is faster and more advantageous than the neutral jumping punch. Imposter Shinnok also has a powerful vortex on Quan Chi. I wish he stole Quan Chi's teleport instead of the trance. LOL. Cowboy claims Imposter does better against Quan Chi than Bone Shaper, and I agree.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey all! Just wanted to post my thoughts on Summoner. And i wanted to post the first TRUE Match up chart, and I mean BY VARIATION!! This is all subject to change and could be wrong based on my experience but was hoping we could all discuss and come to some more concrete conclusions! All my opinions are revelead firstly to the #Bonehawks on my stream, and they had some interesting points! What do you think?

Losing MUs:

Quan has good damage, and great 50/50s therefore is almost always in the fight. These characters are the ones that are more likely to get their offense going than quan, and once started, he has few options out of.

Imposter Shinnok
Bone Shaper Shinnok

Difficult MUs:

These are ones in which Quan is at a slight disadvantage as far as getting his offense going as opposed to his opponents, but still fairly even as far as damage output and tools go

Master of Souls Ermac
Kobu Jutsu Tanya
Ruthless/Vicious Ferra torr
Grandmaster Sub Zero
Dragons Fire Liu Kang
Hish Qu ten Predator
Hunter Predator
Tempest Kung Lao
Thunder God Raiden
Brawler Cassie Cage

Even MUs:

I feel these Mus are completely even and is all about who gets started first with no single character having an advantage over the other

Covert Ops Sonya Blade
Demolition Sonya Blade
Outlaw Erron Black
A-List Johnny Cage
Stunt Double Johnny Cage
Hollywood Cassie Cage
Sorcerer Quan Chi
Pumped up Jax
Heavy Weapons Jax
Relentless Jason Vorhees
Sun God Kotal Kahn
War God Kotal Kahn
Swarm Queen D'Vorah
Flame Fist Liu Kang
Tigrar Fury Goro
Summoner Quan Chi
Wrestler Jax

Winning MUs:

These are MUs where Quan deals more damage, and has more options than his opponent. Opponent still has tools to stay in the MU, but has to take advantage of more opportunities.

Marksman Erron Black
Piercing Mileena
Ravenous Mileena
Balanced Kenshi
Possessed Kenshi
Royal Storm Kitana
Mournful Kitana
Assassin Kitana
Hellfire Scorpion
Inferno Scorpion
Buzz Saw Kung Lao
Noxious reptile
Crystalline Tremor
Aftershock Tremor
Necromancer Shinnok
Cryomancer Sub Zero
Ronin takeda
Spec Ops Cassie Cage
Bojutsu Kung Jin
Shaolin Kung Jin
Pyromancer Tanya
Warlock Quan Chi
Lackey Ferra Torr
Deceptive Reptile
Fisticuffs Johnny Cage
Cutthroat Kano
Commando Kano
Cybernetic Kano
Slasher Jason
Unstoppable Jason
Venomous D'Vorah
Shotgun Jacqui

Free as Fluff MUs:

These MUs require quan to simutaneously enjoy a cup of netherrealm tea as he dismantles his opponents while talking to his mother on the phone.

Full Auto Jacqui
High Tech Jacqui
Brood Mother D'Vorah
Blood God Kotal Kahn
Dualist Liu Kang
Gunslinger Erron Black
Hat Trick Kung Lao
Unbreakable Sub Zero
Ninjitsu Scorpion
Special Forces Sonya Blade
Kuatan Warrior Goro
Dragon Fangs Goro
Dragon Naughty Naughty Tanya
Nimble Reptile
Shirai Ryu takeda
Lasher Takeda
Ancestral Kung Jin
Metallic Tremor

Little to no experience in these MUs

Kenjutsu Kenshi
Master of Storms raiden
Displacer Raiden
Etherreal Mileena
Mystic Ermac
spectral Ermac
I'll be happy to play u in a countless hours of fun set w Kenjutsu

I feel Kenjutsu could be ok vs quan

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I would like your thoughts on the Kano matchup. Specifically Cutthroat and Kommando
Kano isn't a bad character. But quan out damages him big time. He has to work harder to win in this mu imo

Also @SilverHaze ive played more against brood mother than any other variation of dvorah. It's my opinion that quan beats her pretty decisively. Most of her pressure is gimmicks

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Dink doesn't Summoner out-zone Bone Shaper? Why do you think that MU is that bad?
If he can get started, but he's gotta use all his meter to get like 18% chip on shinnok then he can come in and party time. Plus if he gets amulet blast going first he wins the zoning war. His dash is so good the threat of him coming in is enough to make quan nervous

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Kano isn't a bad character. But quan out damages him big time. He has to work harder to win in this mu imo

Also @SilverHaze ive played more against brood mother than any other variation of dvorah. It's my opinion that quan beats her pretty decisively. Most of her pressure is gimmicks
Cutthroat does 32% meterless, 40% 1 bar, and 64% 2 bar midscreen. He can also just keep up his knockdown safe 50/50 game on QC because who fucking cares about QC wakeups and Kano's footsies are also very good and he can somewhat use airball to get by some of the zoning.

I don't see Quan beating Cutthroat at all, for Cybernetic and Commando Quan wins without difficulty.

Last edited:
You think quan chi destroys dualist kang? I can't agree. I played against quan chi in tourney before. And the match was super close. I also play the mu regularly with another QC main and he says it's 5-5 or 4-6 if kang gets started

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
Currently I'm free to Cutthroat if that jerk gets close to me. I got sent to loser's in my local recently because of the command grabs keeping locked in the corner. He was a VERY good Kano player though.
I myself hate getting put into those command grabs. If a kano player stays in your face its gonna be hard removing them lol

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Ninjitsu Scorpion is not free to Quan Chi and IMO actually fairs pretty well against him. Up close he has strings that leave him at good range vs Quan Chi to continue pressure as well as have the threat of grabs and whiff punish with f2. As long as Scorpion keeps momentum in the match he can win. The threat of EX teleport is universal across all variations as well. He has good meterless damage into standing resets which can put Quan Chi into a pretty unfavorable guessing game. IMO it could be 6-4 in favor of Quan Chi but in no way free.

It will eventually get out there that Ninjitsu Scorpion is actually very good.

@General M2Dave maybe you have a different opinion? My only real summoner experience is against you.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I myself hate getting put into those command grabs. If a kano player stays in your face its gonna be hard removing them lol
Before I get blown up for talking about command grabs with Cutthroat, I meant Commando. That "Yellow Bastard"

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled

Damage shouldn't be the only thing that's considered here. Like @Derptile said, Cutthroat can get some really solid damage numbers midscreen, but that's not really the point. This matchup feels a lot like Dudley vs. Dhalsim (If you play Ultra) in the sense that Dhalsim wins the matchup full screen but loses when Dudley gets in. I feel this is a very similar scenario, because Quan has fuck-all for armored reversal options. Kano can freely 50/50 you to death and be safe without meter (which Quan sometimes needs if you don't have a bat out). This really boils down to how you want to play the matchup. If you think you can outzone the player and not let him in (Or at least minimize his success when he does) then play Summoner, if you think you can't outzone the player, pick Warlock. I honestly see this as a 5-5 (Summoner vs Cutthroat) maybe...MAYBE a 6-4 in Cutthroat's favor

I can see Cyber and Commando having troubles with this matchup (Commando I am still on the fence about being bad against this variation just because of all the great armor he has, but at the end of the day he probably loses to Summoner.)