What's new

Digital Foundry's Stress Test Tech Breakdown

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
You need to have a screen which supports VRR, 120 Hz and HDMI 2.1.. Then a New-Gen game which supports VRR or 120 Hz performance mode to get all benefit from VRR, to me it is just amazing in terms of performance, VRR can increase FPS, decreases input lag and totally destroys screen tearings, that is why some Street Fighter pros boycott some SF6 tournaments here and there, they said without VRR and 120 Hz monitor screen tearings become intolarable. VRR definetely does effect all the game modes in a fighting game because it increases the response quality of your screen to the data that coming from your gaming device. So saying that VRR only effects World Tour Mode in SF6 is Total BS.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I belive you.. I just have no idea about it is all. I'm old. I hit the play button and I'm done, lol.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'll never understand this... I mean the fatal is just a cut sequence... I mean is 25fps is fine for film and crazy shit like Fast X it is good enough for these sequences. It literally makes NO DIFFERENCE.
It's not the same thing as film. In a video game a frame is a tiny slice of the visual state at that moment.

Film is more an aggregate of what has happened during the span of time. Hence motion blur in the still frames which is giving you more and more human life information about what happened.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You need to have a screen which supports VRR, 120 Hz and HDMI 2.1.. Then a New-Gen game which supports VRR or 120 Hz performance mode to get all benefit from VRR, to me it is just amazing in terms of performance, VRR can increase FPS, decreases input lag and totally destroys screen tearings, that is why some Street Fighter pros boycott some SF6 tournaments here and there, they said without VRR and 120 Hz monitor screen tearings become intolarable. VRR definetely does effect all the game modes in a fighting game because it increases the response quality of your screen to the data that coming from your gaming device. So saying that VRR only effects World Tour Mode in SF6 is Total BS.
^ What he said. I'm spoiled with my monitor and VRR now lol. Especially with less leg and better performance. Much better than a regular monitor.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I belive you.. I just have no idea about it is all. I'm old. I hit the play button and I'm done, lol.
Welcome to elder fgc, i am almost 40 years old too. some of the games that i played on VRR activated performance mode are;

• God Of War Ragnarok
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Rachet and Clank Rift Apart
  • Ghost of Tsushima PS5 version
the differences was insane between quality mode and VRR supported performance mode. You should try, we are not that old yet.

My TV is Sony KD-50x89j, not that expensive like OLEDs but supports VRR, HDMI 2.1, 120 Hz and 4K. i do recommend for those who needs to upgrade their gaming setup and i am on both Xbox and PS5.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Welcome to elder fgc, i am almost 40 years old too. some of the games that i played on VRR activated performance mode are;

• God Of War Ragnarok
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Rachet and Clank Rift Apart
  • Ghost of Tsushima PS5 version
the differences was insane between quality mode and VRR supported performance mode. You should try, we are not that old yet.

My TV is Sony KD-50x89j, not that expensive like OLEDs but supports VRR, HDMI 2.1, 120 Hz and 4K. i do recommend for those who needs to upgrade their gaming setup and i am on both Xbox and PS5.
Almost 40? Lucky bastard

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
High refresh+ VRR is a big deal. Mis alignment between sync and render rates makes things at lower refreshes look choppier than they should.

Having more frequent sync opportunities helps minimize mis deliveries since display frames aren't 16.666ms "wide". So if you 60fps locked fighting game missed a sync window, it doesn't have to wait a full 16.1(for example) for another window and end up effectively showing a frame twice while likely also delaying input reading for a full frame to boot.

The two together help prevent missed windows and minimize them if the did happen

Steam deck has something amazing where you can set the refresh for a game down to the frame. So you can set the frame rate AND vsync rate to something like 45fps and it's much smoother than trying run a game at 45fps at 60 hrz

Last edited:
LoL who said that?
Digital Foundry.

VRR is all about how your screen response to data that coming from your gaming device. This Info definetely written in lack of knowladge, sorry.
VRR displays smoothen out inconsistent frame rates on your display. Since both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X support but struggle to maintain 120 FPS in supported games, VRR displays help things appear consistent.

VRR activated performance mode
Performance Mode in Street Fighter VI only affects World Tour.

Jump to 1:20, and then again to 18:10.

For frame rate, VRR is only beneficial in the World Tour Mode. What you're likely noticing with your VRR display in regular play is improved input latency.

Last edited:

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
@Juxtapose

Watch this and update yourself. This conversation doesn't make any sense right now, jump to 4:00, does it look like world tour mode? if it is not please stop defending ignorance.

@Juxtapose

Watch this and update yourself. This conversation doesn't make any sense right now, jump to 4:00, does it look like world tour mode? if it is not please stop defending ignorance.
From what I can tell, they were playing in the 120hz mode without a VRR display, thus the problem.

As I already mentioned above, VRR displays are extremely beneficial for drops in 120hz modes specifically. This would be regardless of what mode the game is in (traditional or World Tour).

I also trust Digital Foundry as they know their tech.

Lastly, there's no need to be so rude or resort to personal attacks.