What's new

Define your understanding of 'high level'

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Who cares
Who Cares?! Who Cares?!

The whole entire FG Community, that's who cares!

I don't need to worship false idols! I need to know the truth of high level play! Do you understand how many joyous tears I cried when I tore down my m2dave poster because I found out he was a fraud???

You think I wear a Patriots jersey during streams because I like the quarterback Tom Brady? HELL NO! I wear it for TOM BRADY!

The wisdom that high level players spit I write on sticky notes and stick them around my monitor so I can read them over and over every waking minute of my life so I can be the best of the best!

If we have false high level players then...wow I feel like my life is nothing but a lie. This is a way of life man, this is history, I'm going to be telling my kids kids about VSM, GGA, and the kids across the pond that shaped me in to the man I am today!

This matters!
#YOLO

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
i think thats what inj needs

a show like ktp or something
Great idea for the talk between you tb REO ufg foxy. Need to make sure it gets recorded.

I hope it'd be a respectful discussion, cause you know what isn't high level? The ability of most TYM posters to be civil and differentiate between fact and opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Because alot of 'high level' this and that has been thrown around lately, when I'm quite certain the people claiming it have no idea what they're talking about.

My definition of high level at the moment in terms of players in-game would be REO, Tom Brady and UsedForGlue.

High level understanding of the game is a different thing though, but still fair, players such as THTB, PND i2 Gaug3 and PerfectMindGame have always seemed to get this sort of thing.

I just don't get how players can be considered top when you see things like repeated D1s on block, using D1 in general as a counterpoke etc etc.

Post thoughts.
Dude, my d.1 is +17 on hit. You can bet your bacon I'm going to throw that out and then just-frame the hell out of someone for 10% chip using nothing but block advantage and normal.

No but really, "high level" is the point where you are no longer able to play the game how you want to. Its like going from the madness of "Tag" to the cemented rules of chess. You have to pick from whatever short list of characters are viable and if you managed to like Superman/Batman from the beginning that's great but otherwise you are bunked. Outside of that, I'd say character knowledge and the ability to develop said character are also the marks of a good player. Anyone can regurgitate the same GL BnB combo over and over, but good players are finding the tech to make his entire kit more effective outside of that one combo.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
"High Level" is a state of mind... A group of things all rolled into one (NOT the state of what one considers themselves in their own mind) in fact, usually anyone who considers themselves "High Level" usually is not and is just looking for a hug for their ego.
Having good fundamentals, good execution, good MU knowledge, good mechanics, the ability to adapt and overcome on the fly and then the ability to combine all said elements and the final and perhaps most important trait doing ALL these things consistently.

I find the biggest issue is how "High Level" is used. No online warrior can be "high level".. False.. Someone who strictly uses online as their medium, in my opinion, is on the same high level as someone who is on a "High Level" in a local tournament.
Only big stage tournament pros can claim the title of "High Level"- False.. The best of the best of the big level tourney pros have more exposure to the general public and community, but does not set themselves up and above the other forms (small tournament, local, large tournament,regional, online, etc...). It is a different setting only.

"High Level" does not mean unbeaten, unbeatable, or arrogant.. It is excellent command of a skill set and always trying to learn more and do better things with that skill set.

That is what "High Level" means to me.

High level injustice = mashing d1 whenever someone jumps at you, doing safe on block wakeup attacks, jumping and pressing your 2 button, combos a baby could do, unblockables with 5 hits of armor that do 30 percent damage, NEVER trying to antiair

Did I mention mashing down1

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
High level injustice = mashing d1 whenever someone jumps at you, doing safe on block wakeup attacks, jumping and pressing your 2 button, combos a baby could do, unblockables with 5 hits of armor that do 30 percent damage, NEVER trying to antiair

What are we playing, Marvel?

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit

Clearly you didn't play SFxTekken on/around its release if you are bringing this up here..

Beyond the trolling tho for real I've been saying this for a while when people bring this argument up
This game is insanely easy to play at a highish level in comparison to playing marvel 3 at a highish level. There is basically no execution at all in this game
Marvel 3 execution is 100 times harder and the game is 100 times more hectic. Blocking is 100 times harder

Also, I dont like marvel 3

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Beyond the trolling tho for real I've been saying this for a while when people bring this argument up
This game is insanely easy to play at a highish level in comparison to playing marvel 3 at a highish level. There is basically no execution at all in this game
Marvel 3 execution is 100 times harder and the game is 100 times more hectic. Blocking is 100 times harder

That is like trying to figure out what Babe Ruth's home run numbers would be in a little league park during his whole career...it doesn't make sense.
You cannot compare a 1v1 fighter to a 3v3 tag fighter.. Apples and oranges man..."fighting" is the only thing those two have in common..

And for not liking something- you sure do talk about it a lot..

Stop playing Green Lantern if you don't want baby combos or EZ mode. :)

I agree Injustice is really easy to get into and doesn't have complex mechanics. But that's a good thing. SFxT is easier than AE execution wise and it doesn't matter, cross tekken is still an awesome and arguably better game overall.

Stop playing Green Lantern if you don't want baby combos or EZ mode. :)

I agree Injustice is really easy to get into and doesn't have complex mechanics. But that's a good thing. SFxT is easier than AE execution wise and it doesn't matter, cross tekken is still an awesome and arguably better game overall.
True dat.

Hmm which characters are the most execution heavy in this game?

Cyborg (by a lot)

Flash, batgirl, nightwing, hawkgurl, lobo...

And its not really that apples and oranges when you think about the execution

Optimal Combos in marvel 3 are a lot harder to perform than optimal combos in injustice. This is a fact

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
And its not really that apples and oranges when you think about the execution

Optimal Combos in marvel 3 are a lot harder to perform than optimal combos in injustice. This is a fact
Injustice is what a month old? Sure optimal combos seem small in comparison.. But again.. 1v1 vs 3v3 is not comparable.. Things such as bounce properties and gravity physics are both different. 1 game has to worry itself with potentially using 3 characters (assists included and factored in) while 1 game has to worry itself with just 1 character.

Well the way I see it if Injustice is easy to play at "highish level" then that just means more players can get into the scene and compete against the very best. If a game is too hard to master then it becomes niche and dies out.

Personally I think execution is something trivial anyway and shouldn't even be a high level factor in any decent game. Combos are what you practice on day 1 release. But at high level it shouldn't be about who will drop his combos or not, because then it becomes about who has better execution. And some bad players can have excellent execution while some better players can have average or low execution.

I've never been interested in combos, I'm more interested in what happens between combos. Before and after a combo. That's what interesting to me and that's where the focus should be.