What's new

Dealing With/Countering Elbow Dash Tactics

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
What up Reptile forum. I looked back a few pages for a topic similar to this but found nothing so I'm starting a new thread for strategies specifically geared towards countering Elbow dash tactics.

As some of you may or may not know, I main Smoke. Shake completely shuts down any and all of Reptile's zoning strategies so I find myself on the receiving end of SERIOUS elbow dash pressure.

I was playing Chris G on Friday and the first round with his Reptile was close so I was thinking to myself "If I'm on the ball I can probably get some wins". However, after that first round he turned the elbow dash knob up to 11 and I was having a really hard time countering it.

Even when I read it correctly I didn't know what action I could take to punish it. It seems on block Smoke is unable to punish with anything other than a poke; standing 2 is his fastest attack at 11 frames but the nature of the hit box makes it usually whiff on a blocked dash. I tried to anticipate the dash and out space him by throwing standing 3 and b2 fishing for a combo but that only worked once and after that he started doing instant d3's after a dash to interrupt my moves. Not to mention other crazy mix ups.

I have some theories... I'm thinking I can jump backwards when I'm at sweep distance in anticipation of a dash to force a blocked jump in punch, then throw 3d12 and on block I have advantage so I can d1 and stuff anything afterwards, changing the momentum.

The other one is throwing out d4 or sweep to counter a whiffed dash up for pressure... Like, hit him out of the tail end of the dash/before he can follow up with anything. I haven't tested this but I'm thinking it might work.

So are there any holes in Reptiles up close pressure/dash pressure? Can I naked duck the first hit of his two main strings for a punish? Stuff like that, stuff like that and any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guyz!

Block, Throw I think is the universal punisher.

You could En. Shake it in anticipation for a combo? Does the smoke bomb catch it at all?

I noticed reptiles will almost always certainly double dash OR dash and immediately follow with a JIP. Your teleport should be able to catch it, no?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Block, Throw I think is the universal punisher.

You could En. Shake it in anticipation for a combo? Does the smoke bomb catch it at all?

I noticed reptiles will almost always certainly double dash OR dash and immediately follow with a JIP. Your teleport should be able to catch it, no?
I could throw... I'm hoping to find a bigger damaging something. EX shake does beat dash, but it doesn't lead to a combo. I wish. Smoke bomb whiffs hard, giving them a full punish.

Teleport might work against dash > jipunch, but it's risky; it's easy to block on reaction. I wouldn't want to do it more than once because Tpunch has to respect block. I suppose if I do Tpunch to hit a dash > jump punch next time they will block, expecting a Tpunch and I can throw them.

I would like to throw in.. Isnt the recovery time getting increased like Kung Laos spin in the upcoming patch?
Word on the street is that the only change reptile will be getting is the removal of the invisible force ball glitch

No Reptile recovery nerf? Thats harsh. Oh well..

Have you tried playing mind games with smoke cloud?

Smoke Cloud on reaction or to bait to --- Block, Throw
or
Smoke Cloud on reaction or to bait to --- Teleport Punch

Im pretty sure if you block then try a JIP he recovers fast enough to dash again and will hit you out of the JIP.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I can't really mind game with Smoke cloud. Dash is fast enough for a full combo punish from half screen or a double dash (second one hits) punish from full screen on reaction.

I can probably jump out of block strings. I should probably make it more of a point to be quick with jumping out immediately after I block a string. Dash will only hit if I'm grounded.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Remember, airborne attacks like hopping normals also stuff dash, since it only hits grounded opponents.

Smoke's only punishment option is 21 xx smoke bomb vs elbow.

retic

Noob
here are a few tips:

1) easy punish? simply throw.

2) after enough practice - use a string of your choice.

I'm a reptile user myself, and after a blocked dash (ONLINE), I've pretty much eaten a string from the ff:

a) Kung Lao - LOLZ. Just press a button except block. If you're a KL player and having a tough time with ANYONE, quit MK.....kiddin' ;)

b) Scorpion - 3,3-> spear -> combo of choice

c) Sub Zero - 2,2-> freeze -> combo of choice

@OP:

You mentioned Smoke; I'm quite sure he should have string starters that are as fast/faster/almost as fast as the ones I indicated above.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Oh there is so much you can do to reptile. I think outside of sub, reptile is my favorite opponent.
Well, I was kind of in over my head; besides the Reptile that knocked me out of ECT, Chris G is the only highly skilled Reptile I've ever played. Needless to say I was scrambling to find something to work against him.

Nothing like going from no matchup experience against a character to fighting (arguably) the best one there is lol.