What's new

"Dead or Alive, you're coming with me." - Official Robocop Reboot Thread (First trailer released)

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" ..Looks pretty cool from what I've seen I just hope they don't screw the story up too much. Remember Murphy's wife & kid were told he was dead in the first one, but apparently not in this one. It's kinda off already.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" ..Looks pretty cool from what I've seen I just hope they don't screw the story up too much. Remember Murphy's wife & kid were told he was dead in the first one, but apparently not in this one. It's kinda off already.
As much as I liked the first Robocop, I also feel like if you're going to take the time to Reboot something, you shouldn't make the exact same movie twice.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
The original was a classic and its sequels not so much, but this looks to be a descent film at least. As for the Spawn re-boot I read somewhere the McFarland is taking it in a more horror style direction.

Wasted

Noob
All the satire is gone. What made the original great is not present. Watered down violence, no equivalent of Clarence Boddicker...

Honestly, I do get it. I understand that it's a reboot, not a remake. But the intensity and emotion this film looks to have is bordering on Robocop 3 or Underworld levels. Oldman and Jackson are not enough to justify my ticket - they look like they're just phoning their performances in.

I don't even mind the changes to Murphy's backstory. If they made the carbomb death as gruesome as the original firing squad, I'd be excited. But, it's just a generic looking explosion. They could do a Death Proof-style renactment, but it wouldn't make me feel anything.

Then there's the emphasis on family. It's always gotta be about the family with American filmmakers. There can't be true sadness anymore. Losing his family (or, access to his family) is part of what drove us to love the original.

Fuck this R-rating crap. Give me an NC-17 retelling with actual consequences shown.