What's new

DarkGeese calls it quits for now.

Quick recap for those who do not know. DarkGeese is considered one of the best KOF players from America. After trying to establish a KOF scene here, he quit his efforts due to low player turnouts and general non interest from player and turned to the Latin America community where KOF is huge. In recent years he has held tournaments in Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Argentina and other countries mainly to promote KOF to the masses down there.

As well as doing this, he has gotten top KOF players from Japan to come over to Mexico to play the countries best. He has a ton of great KOF footage archived on his YouTube page if you wish to check out KOF being played at the highest levels. ---> https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkGeese/videos

I especially recommend any of the Buchecha(Brazilian player) vs Kula or Zeus(the top two Mexican KOF2k2 players) seeing as they are intense and show off so much of what that game has to offer.

As for DarkGeese, he is finally calling it quits for what he says will be a good amount of time due to other things taking up too much of his time.

I do not think this will be the end for the KOF scene in Latin America, but it is a huge blow to their scene since DarkGeese was one of the plaers who pushed the tournament scene in those countries. His passion for KOF matches the passion Shock has for Mortal Kombat. But unfortunately, some things do have to come to an end.

I thank DarkGeese for all his contributing efforts he has made, especially with showcasing some of Latin America's top talent. Good luck to whatever he does in the future.

T3rror

Noob
Man sad to hear. I always respected his passion for KOF and his pushing of the tournament scene. I've watched so many great matches on his channel. I too would be tried of it if I had to deal with ungrateful people causing nothing but stress.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have observed the KoF scene on the east coast over the last 12 years and I can see his pain, not just feel it. It's there. The games usually have a burst in attention, and for some reason, even though they are very good games, it falls off. The game has consistently been presented and represented for a very long time with unfortunately, the same turnouts from generation to generation of a game is what did it in. IIRC, at Evo East 2K7, he entered UMK3 and wound up not being able to participate, but donated his entry, if someone can correct me on that please do, but I'm pretty positive it was him.

I share in this experience. I almost quit the scene back in 2008. Turnouts were still increasing at the time for MK, but they were still much lower than I felt they should be based on just how many players were talking about going to tournaments. The problem was, all they did was talk and you'd get about 25% of the players to show up to a major at any one time. When a scene is so small, it's gotta be strong. UMK3 died when MKDA came out, but MKDA died shortly after it came out. After that, I was asked by Big E to run MK, and the only game people came out for was UMK3. Imagine if I ran UMK3, and then when MKD came out, I dropped UMK3 and just ran MKD. It would have ended there, and it also would have ended with MKA, and MKDC. Each new game that came out was predictably lonely for tournament turnouts, so we stuck with UMK3 and built up MKII at the same time. Only with MK9 was it safe to say "We can let these games run themselves now because the community has a game they really want to play...in person."

Very sad to hear this. The FGC needs all the content it can get, ironically tonight at the Break, I was just talking about adding KoF to an event in November.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Ah that sucks. Even before I followed the FGC I would watch his Videos because I liked kof :/