What's new

Cyrax Guide Feedback

CYRAX:

While Human and Robot Cyrax are simply a costume change, they have different properties.

1. Human Cyrax has a safe teleport, Robot Cyrax does not.

2. Human Cryax has slower bombs and a slower net throw.

3. Human Cyrax cannot do the guaranteed bomb trap after his command throw, Robot Cyrax can.

BEST NORMALS:
*:fp:fp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,H,M(overhead) - 3 hit string ending in an overhead so the last hit must be blocked standing. causes a splat knockdown on hit, safe on block.

*:fp:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,H,M - 3 hit string. safe on block. mainly used in bomb trap.

*:bp:fp:bpHIT LEVEL:H,M,M - 3 hit string. last hit ends in a bomb but is blockable. safe on block.

*:fk:fkHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string that gives a safe jump on hit. safe on stand block but on crouch block the second hit wiffs and Cyrax will get punished by uppercut or full combo.

*:l+:fp :bp:fp:bpHIT LEVEL:H(unblockable) - command throw. hits high by you must be crouching without block to avoid it, if you are crouch blocking the throw will still connect. can be broken by tapping :fp as the hand connects to throw you. if crouched without block Cyrax gets punished by full combo.

*:l+:bpHIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - overhead bomb launcher. safe on block. must be blocked standing.

*:l+:fkHIT LEVEL:H - high straight kick ONLY used for anti air vs ranged jumping attacks.

SPECIALS:
*Net:)l:l+:fk)HIT LEVEL:M - classic green net. grants a combo when it hits. is safe from far ranges. unsafe at close range.

*Air Throw:)d:r+:fp)HIT LEVEL:AIR - vs airborne opponents Cyrax can use his air throw and it will take priority over other airborne attacks. this move can only be done while Cyrax is grounded and will only hit airborne opponents. is punished on wiff but you have to be fast.

*Rag Doll:)d:r+:fk :fp+:fk)HIT LEVEL:M - kick that spins counter clockwise then as the opponent goes over you, they are grabbed out of the air and thrown to the ground. safe on block.

*Bombs(close = :l:l+:bk, mid = :r:r+:bk, far = :l:l:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - bomb that explodes and launches.

*Teleport:)d:l+:fp)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Cyrax teleports behind his opponent. as Robot Cyrax this is punished by uppercut or faster normals that will juggle him. as Human Cyrax the teleport is safe. can also be done in air.

*Saw Blade:)l:r:bp)HIT LEVEL:M - use this move ONLY if you hate winning.

:en MOVES:
*:en Net:)l:l+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - same properties of standard net with 1 added bonus, it drains the opponents super meter.

*:en Air Throw:)d:r+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:AIR - more damaging version of standard air throw.

*:en Rag Doll:)d:r+:fk+:blk :fp+:fk)HIT LEVEL: L,M -more damaging version of standard rag doll and now has a low starter.

*:en Bombs(any bomb command +:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - a missile that sticks in your chest, explodes and launches.

*:en Teleport:)d:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - safe teleport. if done at point blank range will knockdown and damage your opponent.

*:en Saw Blade:)l:r:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - does more damage and becomes a projectile.

STRATEGY:

Bomb and Net Placement:
placing bombs and nets requires you to pay attention to your opponents habits and read them. you have to ask yourself "how will they react to a mid bomb? will they jump back? ok, i'll throw a mid bomb then net. ok, they didnt jump back so i'll mid bomb then far bomb then net." etc.. there is no set in stone way to throw bombs and nets, only a theory behind the mind game.

Command Throw:
:l+:fp :bp:fp:bp is unblockable. after a jump in punch they MUST break it because there is no way to crouch it due to the advantage from the jump in punch. if your opponent finds the break to be too small then they can get hit by the jump punch and then the command throw will wiif. doing this however means that they give up free jump in punch combo starters which will eventually go right back into the command throw. so the opponent can make it a mix up by getting hit by the jump punch on purpose so the grab will wiff or block the jump punch and hope you try for a combo starter thinking they would get hit by the jump in punch, which will allow you to command throw. even if your opponent can break the command throw, doing so opens them up to a strike. in the end, they must guess..

Guaranteed Bomb:
after the command throw the advantage is so great that Cyrax can throw a mid bomb then dash :fp:fp:fp and even if the opponent blocks or is hit by the string, the bomb is guaranteed. the opponent can :x after :fp:fp to interrupt the third hit or they can do a special with armor which not too many characters have. however, if they do this then you can replace :fp:fp:fp with :fp:bp:fp and then they cannot interrupt the last hit with anything and the bomb is free. if the opponent guesses you will do :fp:bp:fp they can back dash and eat the string and it will avoid the bomb. so, when the opponent has :x its a guess and when they do not its a free bomb. ***SIDE NOTE***when doing the bomb trap vs a cornered opponent use close bomb instead of mid bomb.

:x Properties:
Cyrax's :x is also an anti air :x . even better news, you get a combo in open space and in corners.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. AA Net, :l+:bp/NJ:bp, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

2. AA Net, :l+:bp/NJ:bp, :bp:fp~:en bomb, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

3. Bomb, NJ :fp/:bp, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

4. Bomb, NJ :fp/:bp, :bp:fp~:en bomb, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

5. :l+:bp, :bp:fp~Net, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

6. :l+:bp, :bp:fp~Net, :bp:fp~:en bomb, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

7. Net/:bp:fp~Net, :l+:fp :bp:fp:bp, mid bomb, dash :fp:fp:fp(bomb explodes), NJ :fp/:bp, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

:x COMBOS:
1. AA Net, :l+:bp/NJ:bp, :x, dash :fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

2. Bomb, :NJ :fp/:bp, :x, dash :fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

3. :l+:bp, :bp:fp~Net, :x, dash :fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

4. Net/:bp:fp~Net, :l+:fp :bp:fp:bp, mid bomb, dash :fp:fp:fp(bomb explodes), NJ :fp/:bp, :x, dash :fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk

5. anytime :x hits vs a cornered opponent, dash upper cut or dash :fp:fp~net, :fp:fp:fp

shig

kool guy

take a look at 12:05

When human Cyrax throws a net, he crouches enough to dodge Baraka's spark. I'm pretty sure robot Cyrax doesn't crouch that much when he throws his net... So if you're fighting baraka, kabal, or some other character that shoots high projectiles, Cyrax might simply be better as a human than as a cyborg.

cyke_out

Noob
7. Net/:bp:fp~Net, :l+:fp :bp:fp:bp, mid bomb, dash :fp:fp:fp(bomb explodes), NJ :fp/:bp, :bp:fp~:d:r+:fk :fp+:fk
I'm having an issue with this combo. I have the unblockable bomb trap after the command throw down pat, but after the bomb blast, my nj+FP/BP doesn't cause a ground bounce. I can get a ground bounce after a naked bomb though, it only seems to fail after a command throw.

Eshi

Noob
I'm having an issue with this combo. I have the unblockable bomb trap after the command throw down pat, but after the bomb blast, my nj+FP/BP doesn't cause a ground bounce. I can get a ground bounce after a naked bomb though, it only seems to fail after a command throw.
the point of :fp :fp :fp is to keep them in block stun. Then they have to eat the bomb and njP works. If you combo into a bomb from anything, njP doesn't work and you have to do something else.

Personally, when people don't block the jab string the combo I use is:
:fp :fp :fp > bomb connects > step back :bp :fp :en bomb > :bp :fp net > :fk :fk ragdoll

I noticed something odd about his net. Prior to launch there was a patch to get rid of Cyrax's teleport > jab jab net infinite, they fixed it by disabling net after the jab string. However, if you land a net on a standing opponent, teleport close and start a juggle, you can net them again while they're in the air for more damage. This doesn't work without a teleport.

cyke_out

Noob
the point of :fp :fp :fp is to keep them in block stun. Then they have to eat the bomb and njP works. If you combo into a bomb from anything, njP doesn't work and you have to do something else.

Personally, when people don't block the jab string the combo I use is:
:fp :fp :fp > bomb connects > step back :bp :fp :en bomb > :bp :fp net > :fk :fk ragdoll
Sweet, and yeah, it was from players or the training dummy not blocking the jab strings. when they do block and the bomb knocks them into the air, i can get a ground bounce off of a nj.P. Thanks for the answer.

Do you think it is better to finish the combo at df3 and leave out the 1+3 grab ender? It's untested against a human opponent, but it seems that you can lay down a bomb before they get up. It is not a guaranteed bomb since if you go to attack they will just wakeup attack you, but they do have to make a decision to escape the bomb, and you can capitalize on that.

EDIT: It seems that Sektor is pretty much able to crouch block Cyrax's b1. I say 'pretty much' because you can still do it, but you have to be at an incredibly specific distance. No one else i've tried so far has been able to crouch block it (top 3 rows)

babalook

Noob
Does 22 work after his command grab because i have been using this latley due to on hit or block after the bomb pop up it still allows you to follow up with jump 1/2 b2 then do whatever you like to do from there. It's been working quite well for me.

According to UltraDavid, the bomb trap is gone?
Its a different one that UltraDavid made up himself. The bomb trap from cmd grab is still in.

Another note u4 is awesome, and mid that can go over lows and causes a slide knockdown -> free bomb set-up. IDK how safe it is though =/

babalook

Noob
Its a different one that UltraDavid made up himself. The bomb trap from cmd grab is still in.

Another note u4 is awesome, and mid that can go over lows and causes a slide knockdown -> free bomb set-up. IDK how safe it is though =/
agreed its safe against jabs thats all i know

Greven

Noob
i have troubles doing this combo

either i cant hit after the net or i cant connect with :d:r+:fk :fp+:fk
plz help

atm i am using:
launcher, :bp:fp~dash, :fp:bp:fp~bomb + pressing

babalook

Noob
i have troubles doing this combo

either i cant hit after the net or i cant connect with :d:r+:fk :fp+:fk
plz help

atm i am using:
launcher, :bp:fp~dash, :fp:bp:fp~bomb + pressing
after b2 dash then do 21net (or 12net) dash 121(not 21) df3,1+3

i like doing the bomb after 121 too its pretty cool.

babalook

Noob
Haven't tested on a person yet because my buddy isn't on but try this out near wall 4bb3 111 I believe this is a bomb trap. If it is near wall 21 net back dash uf1/2 4close bomb 111 bomb explodes. Also best combo ive found without meter for a bomb near wall is bomb ntr1/2 b2 121net f2df31+3 38%. So if this block trap works you will be garenteed 58% at a wall with no meter.

nevermind doesn't work the bomb combo near wall should be added to the combos up top though

Sprint

Noob
Let there be brokenness:

By the way, you can get a 50-50 reset if you juggle into Net and just wait for them to fall out of it.
- Command grab beats block.
- BP,FP,Net or FK,FK,Net beats no-block. <- edit: oops, doesn't work on patched version
- f+BP > Mid Bomb beats no block.
- Or you can go for a jump punch into any of the above.

Let there be brokenness:

By the way, you can get a 50-50 reset if you juggle into Net and just wait for them to fall out of it.
- BP,FP,Net or FK,FK,Net beats no-block.
Jesus Tapdancing Christ thats fucking dirty.

rikana

Noob
Let there be brokenness:

- BP,FP,Net or FK,FK,Net beats no-block.
Wow. Just wow. This is insane.

Can anyone tell me when combo 3 and 4 are useful? As far as I know, randomly throwing a "bomb" is a terrible idea. And no specific bomb is mentioned? Seems to me those setups would require your opponent to be asleep, or not paying attention at all. Especially since the bomb is always followed by a nj, which would imply you are throwing that in the corner? But what is your opponent doing that allows you to throw a bomb, unless you throw it mid combo?

Also, it's obvious Cyrax has some serious damage. But why the lack of use in Tournaments? It seems to me, watching plenty of other characters fight, that Cyrax is a little weak in a few aspects. If you can net your opponent or set up a bomb trap, you can deal some serious damage. But without that, what offense does he really have? You can't really set up juggles with combos, and the b2 combo takes way too long to even be useful against an opponent NOT trapped in a net. Maybe I am just setting things up wrong, or it would be the fact that PSN is down and i'm playing against AI, but those are a few observations. Don't get me wrong, I love Cyrax, but the lack of use in PowerUP and the analysis of his skills, I feel like I may have chose the wrong main.

OR............ I need to learn how to play him better :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Can anyone tell me when combo 3 and 4 are useful? As far as I know, randomly throwing a "bomb" is a terrible idea. And no specific bomb is mentioned? Seems to me those setups would require your opponent to be asleep, or not paying attention at all. Especially since the bomb is always followed by a nj, which would imply you are throwing that in the corner? But what is your opponent doing that allows you to throw a bomb, unless you throw it mid combo?
I think those are just possible combos, not necessarily useful or practical.

Also, it's obvious Cyrax has some serious damage. But why the lack of use in Tournaments? It seems to me, watching plenty of other characters fight, that Cyrax is a little weak in a few aspects. If you can net your opponent or set up a bomb trap, you can deal some serious damage. But without that, what offense does he really have? You can't really set up juggles with combos, and the b2 combo takes way too long to even be useful against an opponent NOT trapped in a net. Maybe I am just setting things up wrong, or it would be the fact that PSN is down and i'm playing against AI, but those are a few observations. Don't get me wrong, I love Cyrax, but the lack of use in PowerUP and the analysis of his skills, I feel like I may have chose the wrong main.

OR............ I need to learn how to play him better :)
Once Cyrax is in, that's when he's deadly. From far range though, you can do (far) and (medium) bombs mixed in with Nets to try and trap the opponent. His full screen game isn't the best, but he definitely has options. You can even use the air throw to help you get in, as well as his teleport. Now, once he's in, he has a lot of options. Cross-up JP into :l:fp that leads to the bomb trap. Block strings into :l:fp also work. His crouching :bk is also pretty good, nice range and pretty quick. If they're crouching, his :l:bp is his overhead. Kinda slow though, so it's not reliable. Basically you need to open your opponent up, once you land a hit into net, big damage is coming. The only way the opponent will get out of it is if they use a breaker.

I think those are just possible combos, not necessarily useful or practical.

Once Cyrax is in, that's when he's deadly. From far range though, you can do (far) and (medium) bombs mixed in with Nets to try and trap the opponent. His full screen game isn't the best, but he definitely has options. You can even use the air throw to help you get in, as well as his teleport. Now, once he's in, he has a lot of options. Cross-up JP into :l:fp that leads to the bomb trap. Block strings into :l:fp also work. His crouching :bk is also pretty good, nice range and pretty quick. If they're crouching, his :l:bp is his overhead. Kinda slow though, so it's not reliable. Basically you need to open your opponent up, once you land a hit into net, big damage is coming. The only way the opponent will get out of it is if they use a breaker.
Yes, his b2 isn't a very good idea unless your opponent is in a net, or standing up without blocking. I have the majority of his "big" combos down where I can land them 95%, my only issue is starting them without something else. As for fullscreen, he doesn't have a lot. There are plenty of people that will just pick him off since his only ranged attacks are a slow ball... and a net. However, would it be a viable strategy (maybe against..... a dumb opponent) to launch the net in a full screen situation and teleport to the other side to either 1. Cause them to drop their block and get caught by the net, allowing punishment or 2. Attempt to land a combo before the have the opportunity? Maybe even a bomb setup incase they don't get hit by your net?

I mean... if they decide to punish your teleport they either have to do a quick move and avoid the net, or try to punish you but get hit by the net, which would eventually lead to their demise. It's hard when everything sounds or looks good on paper but is impossible to execute. I'm just speculating ideas because I only have a friends 360 in my possession and there is no way i'm trying to play MK9 on that trash excuse for a "pad". You know it's bad when you hold b2 with Cyrax to do his bomb overhead.... and instead you either jump in the air throwing a random punch, crouch and punch their groin, or throw a random uppercut. I put serious effort into holding the back button PERFECTLY back, and still either jump or crouch. Pathetic! And IGN and Gameinformer say the Xbox has the superior controller. Well, they clearly didn't analyze the d-pad....

Steb

Noob
There's a glitch with the saw blade+bomb. If you hit someone with a bomb while getting hit by the saw blade, it won't count as a 2-hit combo because the game thinks the combo is finished as soon as the saw blade connects.

If you do it mid combo, you get a damage reset. You can't do the usual bomb follow-up because of the saw blade recovery.

The first combo in this video shows an example:

Eshi

Noob
There's a glitch with the saw blade+bomb. If you hit someone with a bomb while getting hit by the saw blade, it won't count as a 2-hit combo because the game thinks the combo is finished as soon as the saw blade connects.

If you do it mid combo, you get a damage reset. You can't do the usual bomb follow-up because of the saw blade recovery.

The first combo in this video shows an example:
holy christ that is strong. I'm taking this to the lab the moment finals are over. you could just let them fall after the net, command throw to unblockable and the match is over. I <3 cyrax.

water

Noob
-------- B2 combos: --------
22% Meterless: B2, double dash, 33~bb3, dash/teleport, 33~qcf3,1+3
40% 1 Meter: B2, dash, Exff4, ff4, shortdash/walk d2, 33~bb3, dash/teleport 33~qcf3,1+3

Has anyone found a combo starting with b2 that is stronger than 22 w/o meter or 40 w/1 meter?

-------- Double Net Combo leading to Near Death mixup: --------
-- Combo 1: 48-51% 1 Meter to Standing Reset:
fj.P, 21~bb3, fj.P, 21~Exff4, ff4, d2, walk back, early B2 (only 2nd hit), 33~bb3, dash

-- Combo 2a: If they block, follow with this 13% + 35-42% Meterless:
b1212, ff4, dash 22, nj.P, step forward b2, dash 33~bb3, dash/teleport 33~qcf3,1+3

-- Combo 2b: If they Naked Crouch to counter the throw, follow with 33~bb3 and then if meter is empty Combo 2a, if you have 1 meter do Combo 1 starting after the net.

--- The first combo gets a 2nd net as an ender. Since the combo is long enough, the net WILL come out and connect for a combo, however it will NOT hold them for long. When they pop out, they are immediately standing. It is enough time to dash into range for the mixup.

If you connect with all of this, they are pretty much dead. I hope this helps.

Credit Inspiration and Technology to Cyrax 82% Youtube link above. =)