What's new

Cyborg 2017 Patch Discussion

I think the logic for not giving him a full invincible wake up is then if you condition the attacker to block/avoid Cyborg on wake up, he can grapple away. That's my guess

Really all I want is a faster start up (and maybe recovery) on flying drone trait. Would make it easier to pull out in MUs where the opponent has a fast traveling projectile ie. Batman, Darkseid, Fate

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Just ignore him lol, he's been saying the same response on multiple thread haha

I will say I'm actually okay with him not getting buffed, I'm more salty that Dr. Fate's wakeup is now somehow more safe when it shouldn't be (and that Deadshot's wakeup game is still the same also).
They mades Fates push safer because he is unsafe on all his nornals on block so in match ups like bladam or supes they could punish him on block into full combo every time.

Meanwhile Cyborg is already safe or plus on block on pretty much everything. Cyborg didnt need anything and with all the changes to everyone else he is going to be very good IMO

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
They mades Fates push safer because he is unsafe on all his nornals on block so in match ups like bladam or supes they could punish him on block into full combo every time.

Meanwhile Cyborg is already safe or plus on block on pretty much everything. Cyborg didnt need anything and with all the changes to everyone else he is going to be very good IMO
Cyborg definitely needs help. His trait is among the worst in the game due to start-up and cool down, his grapple is horribly inconsistent for such a core tool, and he might as well not have a wake up. These are the most important issues.

His zoning is slow and the execution requirement for the reward you get is skewed against him.

Compared to IGAU his zoning is worse because his missiles are now mid, IAFB are much harder to do and they can't be done as low (at least, I can't do them as low). There are zoning characters that give him an even harder time than in the prequel as well.

His midscreen damage has been buffed but by deceptively little whilst his corner combos have taken a hit. His backdash is worse and his frame data is worse. There is practically no way that this character is going to be 'very good'.

Last edited:

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic

I wonder about that though. I mean what good is all the advantage in the world any character has, if a character has NO real mixups. Cyborgs only overhead is locked behind a high starter, not to mention there is a obvious punishable gap. Hes fastest normal that leads into something safe is 10 frames, and that still leads to mids. Yes, he can cancel into grapple to get away, but that just shows they fully meant for cyborg to be a nova blasting one trick pony. Im not complaining to anyone asking him to be a 50/50 machine, but the reality is cyborg just zones, and not much else. When someone figures out the zoning, what else do we have?

Last edited:

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Can I get your reasons?
Im a cyborg main and I think hes fine. Would I have liked a couple small changes? Yes. Did he need it? No.

I also dont think he needs a wakeup, but I do think other zoners should lose theirs too. (Fate, Deadshot, Darkseid)

Honestly they probably forgot he was in the game until they started the stream.
LMAOOOOOO !!! "Wait, wait -- we added Cyborg to this one too?? F***!" hahahaha

I'd like to see more range on his meaty strings honestly. I've always loved playing chars with good plus frame strings/specials -- but Cyborg has shown me that regardless of those plus frames, it doesn't mean a thing if you even whiff a fricken f22 due to mofos moonwalking backwards lol. so unfairrrr

It's true he does have safe on block strings... but all 3 hitting string but 2 (B123, and B231) have gaps you can literally just back dash and wiff punish him, and because you cant cancel into a special move if the last hit missed you are left completely open until you recover. Like you literally dont even have to MB B3 or F3, you can just back dash and that kills me. Plus he has such short range on his normals its tough to play a neutral range or even up close. Obviously he doesnt need a super strong cq game because of how is keep away game is...but shit man, just about every other zoner matches up well against Cyborg, and rush down characters are really hard to deal with, and characters with forward advancing moves or shit that just out rangeshis already slow normals and your stuck. ya know?

Man idk what Cyborg needs to keep him honest but push him into the mid teir. He's not trash, He's not great, and if you establish your game and set ups hes good, and has sweet damage in the corner but between the short range normals, slow start ups, Gaps that leave you wide open on all but 2 strings, winning the neutral within dash range is hard, then once your past that you have MB roll to worry about if you throw out a fireball. So it's tough man, you have to get good reads and out play people hard AF because you dont have much to fall back on and your pressure mid screen is pretty much all a gimmick. Until of course you finally get someone to block a TA set up.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Man idk what Cyborg needs to keep him honest but push him into the mid teir. He's not trash, He's not great, and if you establish your game and set ups hes good, and has sweet damage in the corner but between the short range normals, slow start ups, Gaps that leave you wide open on all but 2 strings, winning the neutral within dash range is hard, then once your past that you have MB roll to worry about if you throw out a fireball. So it's tough man, you have to get good reads and out play people hard AF because you dont have much to fall back on and your pressure mid screen is pretty much all a gimmick. Until of course you finally get someone to block a TA set up.
Cyborg isn't trash, he just needs to be buffed into A tier with everyone else and a couple of the top character need normalized.

I get what you guys are saying, but idk....i feel like he's easily one of the best characters in the game. Strongest projectile and decent recovery. IAFB just requires your feet to touch the ground and you're good to go again. Then there's the fact that he has, hands down, the most plus frames out of anyone else in the game. The only one who used to come close was Adam, but after the patch we kept most of ours while Adam lost most of his.

It always takes some tournament guru like Dragon or Scar or something to show the world that these characters aren't weak lol. If my execution was better I think I'd be able to take him all the way to be honest.

I think Cyborg is a bit unorthodox when it comes to his gameplay. He can handle himself from anywhere on the screen, and the moves with gaps are much too dangerous to poke out of (1,2,b1 ....be for real lol mfs are gonna be terrified of that 113 xx db3.mb mayne lol). I wish I had someone to write me out a training regimen so I would at least know what some of the others have learned about mastering the game over the years. I didn't get into MKX until 6months prior to it's departure from the scene. I think with the right mind dedicated to figuring him out that we'll see some craziness coming from him soon enough.

da800don

Noob
I think its pretty messed up from NRS to give Cyborg, a primarily zoning character, a slow recovering zoning tool (his nova blast, excluding iafb) Then to not equip him with an effective and quick armor breaking wakeup attack sucks. Really the safest thing to do is to delay wakeup, which every character has the ability to do. Theres nothing essential to Cyborg's tools and character to make him more defensive when waking up. In other words, NRS made all serious Cyborg players rocket scientists and cognitive geniuses bc of all the hard reads we have to make. Yet, we can still have our butts handed to us by a mediocre Darkseid and Supergirl player.

SMH

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
He has a projectile that's a mid, that does good damage. He can cover a lot of angles with his projectile. He has solid mobility+armor with his grapples, and lots of plus frames. He has decent setup potential, once he gets it going.

On the downside, though, he has terrible wakeup, no real mixup, and stubby normals/strings, which means to use those plus frames he's got to get in real close, which isn't great for a zoner. He doesn't have an easy launcher for big combo damage. This means Cyborg needs to rely on Meter to fill in the gap, using things like BC, MB Roll, push block, stuff like that. I find it an interesting way to play, but it's challeneging because it relies on mastering choice making between a large number of choices at all times.

I honestly dont feel like people play him enough to try anything new. Like his trait can actually be really interesting to bait a jump then anti-air then into the bomb, or something, it just feels like he has untapped potential.