What's new

Critique My Cyrax PLZ!

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Ahhh, I'm sure most of your "freeness" is due to just needing more practice with him ;) (combo wise and such). Just getting a feelin for what you can an can't get away with as well. There were two things I noticed though.

1. Naked teleport is a no-no. The thing is so unsafe. If you're being zoned out (which is Cyrax's biggest weakness imo), try approaching with dash-d3's instead. Teleport will get you blown up. Wake-up teleport is not a very good idea either. I did see you cover yourself by throwing out a bomb first on occasion, which is good. (Note: I will, however, teleport if I get cornered by certain characters (Sub-Zero mainly). In that situation, I have no problem taking some damage in order to get out of the corner)

2. Try zoning with bombs more than nets. Bombs recover faster and force your opponent to move. Nets can just be blocked and punished (from a further distance that you might think). Mix-up your bombs and force them into the area of the screen that you want them, and throw in some Nets to force them to block and stay there. Cyrax's minefield game is BLAST once you get the hang of it.

Another quick thing, throw out some more close bombs, especially against a character that doesn't have a teleport. It builds meter and doesn't allow your opponent to get in on you. Plus, if your close bomb gets punished, you can break and, if timed right, the bomb will OTG them and you can combo off the breaker.

Just some tips :)

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Thank you very much sir, I dropped alot of the b2 resets cause I use sound cues from the explosions to time it and I was rocking out at the time lol. I need to quit jumping as well (esp against jax lmao) and some of the other resets are tight online too. But thank you for the tips, and if the later sets were up (after he picks freddy) I did start using bombs alot more. I feel like my main weakness right now would have to be spacing f2 right, and capitalizing on block properly. That and i feel like I need to use more d3 in general in pressure and maybe use 334 off jip more. (cause of the free d1 saw or what evs. Thank you for the tips and I will watch naked tele port for sure. I noticed that if you throw a far bomb, then tele and throw a net you catch people jumping a lot. Like a lot lol. And if they catch on to that you can mid then far bomb or far then mid bomb and tele to keep Em guessing. This character is so fucking fun!!!!!

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Thank you very much sir, I dropped alot of the b2 resets cause I use sound cues from the explosions to time it and I was rocking out at the time lol. I need to quit jumping as well (esp against jax lmao) and some of the other resets are tight online too. But thank you for the tips, and if the later sets were up (after he picks freddy) I did start using bombs alot more. I feel like my main weakness right now would have to be spacing f2 right, and capitalizing on block properly. That and i feel like I need to use more d3 in general in pressure and maybe use 334 off jip more. (cause of the free d1 saw or what evs. Thank you for the tips and I will watch naked tele port for sure. I noticed that if you throw a far bomb, then tele and throw a net you catch people jumping a lot. Like a lot lol. And if they catch on to that you can mid then far bomb or far then mid bomb and tele to keep Em guessing. This character is so fucking fun!!!!!
Yeah man, Cyrax is all about getting your opponent out of their comfort zone. The whole "net and a dream" strategy has been played out, an a LOT of people know how to avoid his net, but litter the field with bombs and watch them dance >:D

Welcome to the Cyrax community! :D

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Your pressure game is pretty solid, and you've got the CG stuff down, but you could mix it up more. Work in some 121~ragdolls and d1~ragdolls, link lows to buzzsaw more, and maybe even throw some 334s. Check the forums out for breaker trap gimmicks and unbreakable combos to close out matches even if your opponent has meter stacked.

Learn to hit confirm better, it's very important to not work off of a predetermined agenda. Have the full blockstring you're gonna execute in the back of the mind, but make sure you're ready to throw a net if you see your 12, 21, 11, or 33 hit. You want to zone people into far nets, but most of your combos should start from you rushing down and hit-confirming into a net.

Your zoning game needs a complete overhaul. Bombs are very powerful, they can limit your opponent's options. Net is slow, and easy to block from a zoning perspective if there are no bombs making you move around. It doesn't do chip damage, either. It's also slow as hell frame-wise, never ever throw random nets up close, it usually leads to eating full combos. Also don't do it when your opponent is as jump distance, cuz if they do jump in they have a free JiP to full practice mode combo.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Your pressure game is pretty solid, and you've got the CG stuff down, but you could mix it up more. Work in some 121~ragdolls and d1~ragdolls, link lows to buzzsaw more, and maybe even throw some 334s. Check the forums out for breaker trap gimmicks and unbreakable combos to close out matches even if your opponent has meter stacked.

Learn to hit confirm better, it's very important to not work off of a predetermined agenda. Have the full blockstring you're gonna execute in the back of the mind, but make sure you're ready to throw a net if you see your 12, 21, 11, or 33 hit. You want to zone people into far nets, but most of your combos should start from you rushing down and hit-confirming into a net.

Your zoning game needs a complete overhaul. Bombs are very powerful, they can limit your opponent's options. Net is slow, and easy to block from a zoning perspective if there are no bombs making you move around. It doesn't do chip damage, either. It's also slow as hell frame-wise, never ever throw random nets up close, it usually leads to eating full combos. Also don't do it when your opponent is as jump distance, cuz if they do jump in they have a free JiP to full practice mode combo.
Ty very much notes taken sir i appreciate the feedback. Since the video i have started using bombs alit more. Its amazing how badly they can fuck up somebody's footsies. I do need to learn the unblockable/breaker trap stuff better. The rush down is coming along better as well. I am still really liking this character. What set ups are good in the corner? I've been messing with the njp splat close bomb schtuff, and working on a corner reset. Is there anything else i should be doing there?

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Learn how he builds meter very well.
Learn a bunch of combos from weird positions and set ups, for those times when you get them with a bomb you did not expect to hit, really high and really low anti air nets, wiff punishes from weird ranges etc so you can use a combo that will maximize for meter, damage or position as you see fit.
Here is the meter building thread. Out of every character, meter is the most important to Cyrax, besides maybe Quan Chi. Meter diversifies his moves the greatest, and unlocks many tools he otherwise does not have.
http://www.testyourmight.com/index.php?threads/14843/

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Ty very much notes taken sir i appreciate the feedback. Since the video i have started using bombs alit more. Its amazing how badly they can fuck up somebody's footsies. I do need to learn the unblockable/breaker trap stuff better. The rush down is coming along better as well. I am still really liking this character. What set ups are good in the corner? I've been messing with the njp splat close bomb schtuff, and working on a corner reset. Is there anything else i should be doing there?
Cyrax's zoning pressure is awesome if you have your opponent in the corner. You can stand 3/4 screen and pressure them with bombs. If you're rushing them down in the corner, CG doesn't put them far away for a jump in, so I like to do low pressure after I get a CG. Buzzsaw can be scary in the corner too.

In a combo, you can often juggle them into 21, 121~net 33~saw, so finishing a combo in the corner can get you more damage. Tossing a close bomb at your cornered oppoenent will usually make your opponent (depends on the character) try to cross-up or teleport, so try to react and punish. Off an njp Cyrax can do good unmetered damage. Try and end any combos with buzzsaw or ragdoll/ragdoll-throw into corner so you can get a free bomb and continue pressure. EX ragdoll is a good way to get out of the corner if you catch your opponent, and it allows you a free bomb.

Swag.