What's new

cR SonicFox Wins Mortal Kombat X at EVO 2015!

I don't play this game or come on this site much anymore but I knew ever since mk9 that af0xygrampa was one of the smartest players and best players to play mortal kombat or any fighting game actually. I'm glad he finally got to prove it. Just want to congratulate him and sonic fox.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
excellent top3 hype matches, honeybee to crazy dvorah, even if i don't like her face it's was very amazing to watch, Sonicfox great reads especially on liu kang, FoxyGrampa was sure he make top 3 he got probably best KL in the world, but could win, i think the problem that all KL players have bad habit to play very offensive because it's work against many players and when they are against very strong players their defense suck, if i remember correctly erron black overhead/low was never blocked

MD5

High Tech & Noxious
Good to see some great UK players get in top 8, had me on the edge of my seat shouting at the tv like a madman, best tourney I've seen for a while, especially seeing a Reptile in top 8. Congrats to you all.

Ugh. REO moved into a complex to just play MKX. He's literally sleeping In a single room of bunks like a fresh enlistee in the army just to play this game. And Sonic is still the best. Jesus fucking Christ, the lengths people will go to not just give props to the best at a given game.

Like all of YOMI exists to combat sonicfox and he still wins. Stop making excuses and just acknowledge you're watching one of the best in what may not even be his prime. I hope Sonic wins EVO 2016 SFV grand finals with some bullshit character just to see the salt that pours forth and sucks up what little water Nevada has left.

I never said SonicFox wasn't good. He's an awesome player. My argument is that he didn't win Evo when MK9 was still in its prime and still relevant. So I don't really think a side tournament win is very impressive. In 2012 and 2013 Reo only played MKX and had a character he was could use perfectly. He was the SonicFox of MK9, honestly.

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
I never said SonicFox wasn't good. He's an awesome player. My argument is that he didn't win Evo when MK9 was still in its prime and still relevant. So I don't really think a side tournament win is very impressive. In 2012 and 2013 Reo only played MKX and had a character he was could use perfectly. He was the SonicFox of MK9, honestly.
im not sure this is correct. im not even sure reo was the best player in mk9. you are discrediting pl's 2 evo wins. arguments can be made for pl and cdjr. no one can argue sonic fox was the best injustice player and is currently the best mkx player

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I think when it comes to the whole SonicFox not winning MK9 at big tournaments like EVO, a lot of people shouldn't discredit REO or PL or CDJr or DJT/MIT or Pig. I think something should be said that he really didn't start to come into his own as an elite with them until around Injustice, he just had the potential and seized it.

Sonic reminds me honestly a lot of NuckleDu from Capcom games. Du is only 19 I think, but he had been playing for a good amount of time and it wasn't until last year he finally came into his own. Going to be at the Capcom Cup for sure based on points, and along with him and Smug, young faces have proven they can quickly contend with the old.

It's really about how much time you're willing to put into what you love to get to this level, and some sacrifices have to be made. Does it help that Kwiggles is his brother and probably helped Sonic adapt better to the pro scene? Maybe, but I like to give the individual credit where credit is due.

Plus Kwiggles is still free to Sonic in MKX. :DOGE

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
This was the best top 8 the NRS scene has ever had at Evo in my opinion. Enjoyed every minute and huge congrats to all the players for making the game look fantastic.

Here's to Evo 2016 for MKX guys :)

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
Please explain to me in what capacity did Honeybee or FoxyGrandpa lose to Erron Black & not SonicFox?

I really would like to hear this. SonicFox currently is THE BEST MKX player by a nice margin. There is no more argument. Let it go. This is no longer debatable. Look at your Evo results as proof.
I am absolutely not disputing Sonic's skill. He is a great player, and he adapts to his opponents brilliantly. Whenever someone finds a way in on him, he usually finds a way around that tactic (whatever it may be) very quickly. He has done it with multiple characters too, not just Erron Black. But EB he plays pretty much perfectly.

And from that perfect play stems my issue. I'm not sure I can explain it in words, but I'll try. I don't hate the player, I hate the character he plays.

My issue is this: I think EB has way too many options to mix you up and have total control over the game, at least when somebody plays him as well as Sonicfox does. I don't think Erron Black is fair, at least when you remove human/execution error out of the equation, which Sonicfox pretty much does. And for the record - you won't see me asking for nerfs or anything. I think the design of the character itself is flawed, (is it "flawed" when they're too good?) and no amount of frame data adjustments will help that. It could only break the character into being unviable.

So, again - in my honest opinion Sonicfox is an excellent player. Others are not quite on his level (which is kinda boring from a stream monster's view, but that's another kettle of fish). But combine that skill with Erron Black and yep - tournament over.

I would love to see Sonic play other characters, in some sort of showcase or something, since he obviously can bring the best out of a character. Like, what can Takeda really do? What can Goro do? What can the ninjas do? What can hat trick Kung Lao do?

During the finals, when Sonic played Kitana, I thought to myself: "This is brilliant." Those guys went toe-to-toe and it was anybody's game. Also he proved that Kitana isn't as bad as a lot of people thought, myself included. But when Foxy got the upper hand and Sonic switched to EB, I lost interest. When Sonicfox plays EB, it becomes a single player game against a training dummy.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Congrats to SonicFox, the way he defeated the Terry bros was amazing, such dominance is astounding. But the best match by far was against Honeybee, so tense, so hype. Sonicfox' Erron Black is such a pleasure to watch, I never get bored of it.

I was hoping to see REO and PL but it is clear they aren't in their best now so maybe in the upcoming months we will see more from them.

Btw, congrats to Zyphox and MilkySituation for making top 8 with Liu and Reptile. They brought the hype to top8 without a doubt.

Aye shoutouts to all the people I met at Evo and got to hang around with, it was really fun. I'm gonna try and see all of you guys at summer jam!!