What's new

Question Counter Zoning?

Komatose

The Prettiest
You're having trouble against him or with him? Because you said "Deal with this" I am confused lol.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I wish I had a way to upload some of my replays to show how to do it... hmm.

EDIT: wait, does this game even save online replays? I've been in capcom land for quite a while now

I wish I had a way to upload some of my replays to show how to do it... hmm.

EDIT: wait, does this game even save online replays?
im not sure.
I have only 16 loses online and nearly all of them are to zoning. It's frustrating cause when I FINALLY get in there's nothing they can do. But if one move knocks me full screen....damn ggs lol

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I used turbine smash to get in on Deathstroke. I switch it up between regular and air smash to close the gap.

If they block you are put in close enough to do LM into combo.

I'm not too sure how this will work against more seasoned players but for now it works pretty good.

I used turbine smash to get in on Deathstroke. I switch it up between regular and air smash to close the gap.

If they block you are put in close enough to do LM into combo.

I'm not too sure how this will work against more seasoned players but for now it works pretty good.
the start up for TS is too long for heavy zoners and the ATS is too low cause of his jump.

the only solution i can find right now is to walk block taking an insane amount of chip damage with the possibilty of them hitting you with a special knocking me full screen or them evading to full screen again.

GL really doesnt seem to have anything outside of those things

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Be patient and walk forward crouching under projectiles or blocking low ones. This will prevent you from losing almost any health at all. Once you're at max lift range if they shoot again you get a free combo.

In ares case do the same but watch for teleports for free combos.

Probably most importantly is to protect the life lead at all cost

Be patient and walk forward crouching under projectiles or blocking low ones. This will prevent you from losing almost any health at all. Once you're at max lift range if they shoot again you get a free combo.

In ares case do the same but watch for teleports for free combos.

Probably most importantly is to protect the life lead at all cost
See i was thinking about lifting at its max range but cant I get knocked out of it with a projectile?

Cause if I'm thinking correctly GL has no armor outside of B3 and F3 right?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm having a tough time dealing with zoning with GL. Does anyone know what can be done to deal with this?
I haven't played with GL so take this with a grain of salt. My take on a counter zoning strat for GL comes from playing against him, and watching other people play with him.

GLs air projectile is decent and can be used just to put something on the sceen for the other guy to deal with. It seems like a good anti zoning tool that timed right can force an opponent block or evade, and coupled with his turbine / MB turbine, can create an opportunity to get in closer. My philosophy has always been that trading with a zoner is better than nothing, so using the MB turbine to get a knockdown and potentially a chance to rush it, would be worth it to me.

About GL's turbine, it seems ok to me, but it seems really just added mobility in the air or on the ground in order to get in close. If your opponent is spaming on the ground with projectiles, potentially you can time an air turbine to get in closer and apply some pressure. Just be carefull though, and keep a look out against smart zoners who will be looking to zone the air as well.

My best advise is to just play smart and do your best to counter zone and work in to the mid range. GL excels in the mid / close range so just getting in there should put you in range to punish what ever they do if they are spamming. Since you actually play him, you are definately more familiar with how to use him up close than I am, but I feel very confident in saying that from the mid to close ranges GL can dictate a match.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
See i was thinking about lifting at its max range but cant I get knocked out of it with a projectile?

Cause if I'm thinking correctly GL has no armor outside of B3 and F3 right?
You wouldn't just throw lift out, crouch under the projectile then immediately stand up and do lift while they're recovering.

Yea, no armor outside of launchers but they would lose to DS gunshots anyway.

I haven't played with GL so take this with a grain of salt. My take on a counter zoning strat for GL comes from playing against him, and watching other people play with him.

GLs air projectile is decent and can be used just to put something on the sceen for the other guy to deal with. It seems like a good anti zoning tool that timed right can force an opponent block or evade, and coupled with his turbine / MB turbine, can create an opportunity to get in closer. My philosophy has always been that trading with a zoner is better than nothing, so using the MB turbine to get a knockdown and potentially a chance to rush it, would be worth it to me.

About GL's turbine, it seems ok to me, but it seems really just added mobility in the air or on the ground in order to get in close. If your opponent is spaming on the ground with projectiles, potentially you can time an air turbine to get in closer and apply some pressure. Just be carefull though, and keep a look out against smart zoners who will be looking to zone the air as well.

My best advise is to just play smart and do your best to counter zone and work in to the mid range. GL excels in the mid / close range so just getting in there should put you in range to punish what ever they do if they are spamming. Since you actually play him, you are definately more familiar with how to use him up close than I am, but I feel very confident in saying that from the mid to close ranges GL can dictate a match.
I will try this as well. Problem with ATS (not sure on MB) his jump is so low that mid hitting projectiles will hit his feet and knock him out of it.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I will try this as well. Problem with ATS (not sure on MB) his jump is so low that mid hitting projectiles will hit his feet and knock him out of it.
His jump actually goes to a decent height, it's the animation of turbine that causes him to stick his foot down and get hit.

On the flip side, the animation of air fireball pulls his legs way up and can clear a lot of stuff pretty easily

His jump actually goes to a decent height, it's the animation of turbine that causes him to stick his foot down and get hit.

On the flip side, the animation of air fireball pulls his legs way up and can clear a lot of stuff pretty easily
Im definitely going to have to get with someone that can zone really well to practice this. Its my only weakness so far.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

PwnStar

Noob
Guide to anti-zoning with GL:

• Only jump if you're 100% you'll clear the projectile (it sends you back too far)
  • Do not jump against characters with MBs that produce more projectiles or can be delayed till VERY close
  • If you jump early, use bf3 at the height of your jump to get in and over
  • Use bf1 to delay your fall if you're going to jump into a projectile
  • Zone with bf1 and jumping bf1. Many characters struggle to beat GL at 3/4ths screen doing jumping bf1 due to the angle.
  • Use b1 to slide under projectiles and keep moving forward
  • Walk don't dash, tap down to block and duck (don't need to do backdown)
  • If you can land a full screen bf3MB you have time to dash in

Guide to anti-zoning with GL:

• Only jump if you're 100% you'll clear the projectile (it sends you back too far)
  • Do not jump against characters with MBs that produce more projectiles or can be delayed till VERY close
  • If you jump early, use bf3 at the height of your jump to get in and over
  • Use bf1 to delay your fall if you're going to jump into a projectile
  • Zone with bf1 and jumping bf1. Many characters struggle to beat GL at 3/4ths screen doing jumping bf1 due to the angle.
  • Use b1 to slide under projectiles and keep moving forward
  • Walk don't dash, tap down to block and duck (don't need to do backdown)
  • If you can land a full screen bf3MB you have time to dash in
Awesome. Its getting better. Still my weakness.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

PwnStar

Noob
Added:
if bf1MB hits, it lets you do a free bf3 to get in
Blocked or hit db2 also lets you dash in for free