What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

One of my best friends, who KNOWS that my sister and parents are immunocompromised, said that this virus is natural selection. That it is here to weed out the weak and elderly.
I was generally told this by a coworker as well, re: the elderly specifically though. He's an... interesting character, so I'm not surprised.

But overall, this kind of mindset is awful. People have a right to life. As someone with a chronic health condition I never asked for, which has compromised my immune system, I intend to show "natural selection" up.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And there it is.
They've known and they've told their donors to prepare weeks ago, and waited weeks to be real with the common American people.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19
Not the least bit surprising. I really don’t care what your political affiliation is. When you see people in positions of power being so utterly incompetent, it SHOULD open your eyes to how screwed we are as Americans.

But, at this point, the blame game is pointless. We can figure that out later. Right now the most important thing is flattening the curve of this disease spreading. Which means we need to focus on solutions. To me personally, right now attempting to figure out who to blame is a distraction. We need to be focused and vigilant. Otherwise this will get completely out of control even more so than it already is.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
My industry is directly impacted by the halting of public gatherings. In an unsurprising move, mass layoffs have begun to try keep things going through potentially weeks or even months of no revenue.

I'm guessing next week the dominos will lead to some other industries scrambling. Be interesting to see what things can adapt and work around the changes and which can't. Not genuinely interesting, more of a sucky kind of interesting.

Anarchist_Gib

Shao Kahn main, please your send prayers!
This should be the impetus for us to realize the hubris of an economy propped up on debt, but I doubt it. I'm thinking about the airlines in particular, on the American side they weren't in good shape to begin with. There is no conceivable way a major bailout won't be coming on top of the immediate stimulus being provided, and our children's children will still be paying for all of it.

This should be the impetus for us to realize the hubris of an economy propped up on debt, but I doubt it. I'm thinking about the airlines in particular, on the American side they weren't in good shape to begin with. There is no conceivable way a major bailout won't be coming on top of the immediate stimulus being provided, and our children's children will still be paying for all of it.
Long term a debt-based society can not survive, since it's continually digging itself deeper, and deeper into a hole.

I personally believe that Capitalism and North American society died a long time ago (decades), but it's a very slow death.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Long term a debt-based society can not survive, since it's continually digging itself deeper, and deeper into a hole.

I personally believe that Capitalism and North American society died a long time ago (decades), but it's a very slow death.
That's actually what caused the 2008 financial crisis... and we keep on doing it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That's actually what caused the 2008 financial crisis... and we keep on doing it.
The 2008 crisis was actually caused not by the debt itself, but by people placing ill-advised bets on some of the riskiest forms of lending, which cascaded after an overabundance of housing depressed the market.

It was the wanton acceptance of insane levels of risk, on the assumption of indefinite growth, not the amount of debt itself, that caused the collapse.

But this is a whole other topic than this thread.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Through the ever continuing process of evolution, a new predator has emerged that can hurt us, the human species. This whole situation is like a test. A test of how well we can adapt to overcome this new threat....or die trying. Pretty crazy we are living through this lets be honest

DeftMonk

Noob
so uh i know this is hella random. But since night clubs and festivals are closed I am selling huge bulk of masks. If anyone here wants to make money look in your country for buyer. Gauranteed lowest bulk price on earth.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Through the ever continuing process of evolution, a new predator has emerged that can hurt us, the human species. This whole situation is like a test. A test of how well we can adapt to overcome this new threat....or die trying. Pretty crazy we are living through this lets be honest
or the gov did something. but hey ya never know

freerf245

11 11 11 11
I mean this is pretty tame in terms of pandemics. It's just the first time the internet has been around for something like this.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
so uh i know this is hella random. But since night clubs and festivals are closed I am selling huge bulk of masks. If anyone here wants to make money look in your country for buyer. Guaranteed lowest bulk price on earth.
my dad and his friend fixes houses basically, and they have a few masks. his friend posted on facebook he is selling them each for 600 Dollars (As a joke) :eek::D some people called him smart...others got really pissed

DeftMonk

Noob
my dad and his friend fixes houses basically, and they have a few masks. his friend posted on facebook he is selling them each for 600 Dollars :eek::D some people called him smart...others got really pissed
I am not talking about donig that. I just signed a contract to sell masks to russia's government to give away on trains. 2 million units a week for 2 month contract. I also posted on facebook to encourage people i know to look on linkedin for buying agents etc as I have cheapest source available. No one will probably move a finger tho. If u guys are motivated and want to make hella money this is an opportunity. Normal market prices but with really cheap factorys.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I am not talking about donig that. I just signed a contract to sell masks to russia's government to give away on trains. 2 million units a week for 2 month contract. I also posted on facebook to encourage people i know to look on linkedin for buying agents etc as I have cheapest source available. No one will probably move a finger tho. If u guys are motivated and want to make hella money this is an opportunity. Normal market prices but with really cheap factorys.
oh no it was all for jokes. goodluck with all that though :D

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
or the gov did something. but hey ya never know
Yea you do actually lol
The coronavirus isnt man made, it's pure natural selection and evolution at work
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

I think people are so used to assuming we are beyond nature that they forget that we are just another animal on this planet that is susceptible to the same evolutionary pressures as any other species. You dont need a massive conspiracy to fuck us up, you just need some unsanitary conditions, greed and a general disrespect for nature for something to come up and try to usurp us.

smoke420

Noob
The 2008 crisis was actually caused not by the debt itself, but by people placing ill-advised bets on some of the riskiest forms of lending, which cascaded after an overabundance of housing depressed the market.

It was the wanton acceptance of insane levels of risk, on the assumption of indefinite growth, not the amount of debt itself, that caused the collapse.

But this is a whole other topic than this thread.
This isn't accurate.. its just not. Money IS debt. Without debt, there is no need to work. I worked for JP Morgan chase 2001-2008. Underwriter & LO for all mortgage back securities.

Banks are privatized & so is the fed. They set the rules. They don't risk anything. All loans are calculated to maximize profit. Not to minimize losses. People only place bets on what the banks allow them to bet on. House always wins. Didn't want to derail a derailed thread already, but a good video to watch for everyone is "money as debt". Its on YouTube & lengthy.

it's pure natural selection and evolution at work
This isn't natural selection. Natural selection and evolution have fairly specific definitions.

Natural selection is the process whereby a small subset of a species survives while the rest do not due to a specific hereditary mutation that shields them from the circumstances of extinction. Evolution is the description of that process over many mutations that explains changes in species

Immunity to COVID-19 is not a mutation, nor is it hereditary, nor is it a requirement to not die in the near future.

Even the bubonic plague which wiped out half of Europe by many estimates wasn't a case of "natural selection ". That's just not how this works.