What's new

College Grads, Career holders and Healthcare Workers of TYM... I need your advice

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
Don't know if this has been brought up but, building networks is another way to get in jobs. I graduated with a degree in psychology. Now that's a field where it's gharanteed that you'll definitely struggle in finding work.
However, during my college years, I kept in touch with professors, met people who were already in the field. SO once I applied for my current job, my references really helped and I was one of 3 individuals chosen out of 200 applicants and now I landed a contract with a state agency that assists people with disabilities. I'm still going to go back to school though in order to obtain my degree in music.
But good luck in the choices you make though.

Start your own business. My masters degree in exercise physiology has a salary cap easily blown through with owning your own business. I'm currently co founder of a business and things are moving where they should.

In order to run a business you need clients... nuclear medicine has a drastic shortage of clients across the board. Starting my own imaging department isn't really feasible because it's difficult to maintain the patient load I'd need to make it profitable. Not only would it be hard to take patients from other hospitals/clinics, I'd be taking business from other hospitals/clinics. That kinda sucks too, but such is competition I guess. I do have a free "in" to my school's healthcare management master's program, so if I were to ever be in a position where I could feasibly consider starting an imaging dept, I figure I'd probably want that master's first so I'm prepared for the business side of things.

Glad to hear about your exercise physiology business! Hopefully I can pull off something similar one day if that's where life takes me :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
In order to run a business you need clients... nuclear medicine has a drastic shortage of clients across the board. Starting my own imaging department isn't really feasible because it's difficult to maintain the patient load I'd need to make it profitable. I do have a free "in" to my school's healthcare management master's program, so if I were to ever be in a position where I could feasibly consider starting an imaging dept, I figure I'd probably want that master's first so I'm prepared for the business side of things.

Glad to hear about your exercise physiology business! Hopefully I can pull off something similar one day if that's where life takes me :)
who said exercise physiology business? lol Im in the education technology business. My masters degree is useless

I want to go back to it eventually. My faith in the education system is broken though.
Yeah I hear that. Either way, at least you have a business that's working out well for you and you have the opportunity to get back into your real field of study eventually. I'm scared that I'll have to abandon my own completely for a while and end up forgetting everything... how do you manage keeping everything you learned fresh? At what point did you decide that you need to branch away from your major and find another path, at least for the time being? I have so many questions lol

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hi everyone.
While I do not claim to be completely up to date with the american economical system and job market, I can tell you that every profession has its place especially health-care and medicine. You might have to move, you might have to give up on a few things on the way like your free time, your gaming, but you can get there and medicine is something that will always earn you money. The sad choice to make is the above choice.
People from my country and further east generally move west when it comes to health care jobs, be that a nurse or a doctor or even a pharmacist; those who have any knowledge of a foreign language or two, (ie english and german mostly) will make a beeline for countries such as Austria, Germany, England, Holland etc.
In your case, my suggestion would be not to shy away from having to move across the United States just to get a well paying job. Intimidating as it may seem, these days it's just how it works in many cases.
#twocents
#carveyourpath
#lifesucks

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yeah I hear that. Either way, at least you have a business that's working out well for you and you have the opportunity to get back into your real field of study eventually. I'm scared that I'll have to abandon my own completely for a while and end up forgetting everything... how do you manage keeping everything you learned fresh? At what point did you decide that you need to branch away from your major and find another path, at least for the time being? I have so many questions lol
It was more of an opportunity that I jumped on...opportunities will come and go but you have to make the best of them.

Really you don't have to remember everything from your degree...if you have the title then you have 90% of what people are looking for. The rest you can makeup with a little elbow grease. Just remember your goals and keep them in the forefront no matter what you are doing in the moment.

My business still has a long way to go though...but that will always be the case

FrothyOmen

I work in the legal profession and the market is terrible for law grads. I finished my JD in 2010 and the job market is still terrible now as it was back then.

It took me about two months to find a job after I passed my license exam and I hit up everything. School job search, monster.com and all of its competitors, legal publication want ads. I got my first job from craigslist of all places which was part time and paid absolutely nothing. I got two months worth of experience before the place ran out of money to pay me and let me go.

I got a second job from craigslist which I have been at for over three years. I was able to take my two months of experience at first job and take over the second job's entire practice area. So I eventually got more responsibility and now run two practice areas and do the vast majority of the work in a third.

So my advice to you would be take any shit job you possibly can learn as much as you can and do as much as you can, especially the jobs your bosses don't like to do ... so it would make it impossible for them to let you go.

I went into law thinking ok I want to do criminal law... but you take what you can get and so I fell into a completely different field of law and it worked out fine.

And if you are good at your job and make them money you are solid.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
yeah man #lifesucks
i dont wanna grow up :(
You already have. Better not die as an inept fuckwit who tried to procrastinate balding by not having a job before 55. Cleaning toilets may seem like fun but doing it with your diploma papers due to them not being worth anything with your age as benchmark is no fun. Seen it happen.
Grin and bare it. I'm 30 and been working in the family business, thanks to me speaking this language covering all the bills for me AND my family in the past 15 years flat, and I'm just finding my way into the job market as we speak.

Long story short, my father has a tumor and my grandparents aren't getting any younger. I can do better than the above income so I will. What bothers me is I can pick between doing what I like and getting a decent pay apparently. Unfortunately I'll pick decent pay and just #dealwithit. Though I'm still just learning the ins and outs of ex-soviet-block nonsense that was supposed to resemble a job market.

One thing for sure: growing up just happens. It's adjusting your mind to it that's a bitch.
For me it came fast when I was 14.
My mother still hasn't managed it at 58.
So yeah.

oh yeah one more thing be prepared to move anywhere... and in a few days notice lol
Yeah this is sort of how my program director got his first job after school... there was a hospital in texas (hes from PA) that he knew was hiring. he had an interview there. long story short he bought a 1 way ticket out there, flew over got an apt, went to the interview and the guy said "that's really great of you to fly all the way out here for the interview how long are you in town?", to which he replies "indefinitely, i moved here for this"

he got hired

makes 0 sense but hey, it worked lol....

I'm only going by family experience as my brother does corporate bankruptcy in the Pittsburgh area for an established firm and is making very very very good money. Even local Attorneys are making good cash.

I do remember reading that the market is bad currently but surely there are some specialties that are booming in the legal industry?
Since the economy is crap, it is no surprise that corporate BK is doing ok, but still, overall the market for legal jobs is probably at an all-time low. A lot of well-established firms and attorneys are doing fine, but often that is at the expense of entry-level attorneys. Instead of offering nice salaries to first year attorneys, they can get away with offering a pittance. I've seen positions offered in CA for lawyers at $15/hour or less. Salaries of $35,000, which once you figure in student loans is horrible. Even well-established firms are trimming people. Latham & Watkins, one of the biggest, top law firms in the country recently let about 200 lawyers go. There are articles out there like "Death of Big Law" and more. As an imperfect analogy it is kind of like telling someone if they want to make money they should become an actor, after all, there are plenty of actors making millions of dollars. Yeah, but those are exceptions, not the rule.

I think that 'conventional wisdom' of going to law school to automatically make good $, that being a great idea was followed so heavily that now there are just too many lawyers out there, and so it isn't true anymore. Since lawyers are a dime a dozen, there is no incentive for firms to pay them well. Add in things like legal zoom and the websites and DIY approach of people, a lot of legal options have dried up quite a bit. I'm not saying someone can't make money, even a lot of money at law, but it is not a short-term career path to good money anymore. Plus, as I mentioned, I don't think it is cake work, every lawyer I know, and I know a lot of them, works long hours, weekends, holidays, etc. Recent law school grads are struggling to find work. I'm sure there are some geographic areas with openings in some specialties, but it is really bleak. I should add, even if someone went to law school and took classes on corporate law, bankruptcy, etc., it still isn't going to guarantee that person can find a job in corporate bankruptcy, since they have no experience.

Actually, one option for someone with a nuclear medicine background could be becoming a patent attorney. They tend to do pretty well, I think, because there are so few people with science backgrounds that go into law.

REYTHEGREAT

The problem with today's society is that kids are choosing degrees that in reality cant get you anything good in the real world. I dont know if its because their parents are pushing them to go to college right away or are afraid of what people might think. Its not wrong taking the time off to really analyze what YOU really want to do. Some people take the easy route and end up with a degree that theres no jobs for it or the pay is low.

For me, i started with electronics, then CAD drafting and finally i found something that i liked and it was Graphic Design. It took me two withdraws from college to find what i really wanted to do. If you still in high school, take the time to really know what you want to do. I found a job right away and stuck with it for 8 years. Now im going back to school to get my degree in web design and development( thats were the real money is at lol)

But my best advice for you is to relocate to a location where your type of job is in demand or is a good opportunity for you. You still young and you can go anywhere. Do some research. Maybe speak with you company now if they can at least start paying you for you services cause working for free sucks. Theres no way i would accept a internship that doesnt pay. You can also start networking thru social media, join a forum with people with your same degree and build some connections.

If worse comes to worse and you still cant find a job, then just get a factory job and at the same time keep looking.

Dont wait till late, start networking and making contacts NOW..

good luck.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
FrothyOmen Just remember this, when you graduate from college and don't get the job you want, no need to panic. You'll will always be employed by the next best thing.

Enjoy.