What's new

Choosing the right character means being honest with yourself as a player

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
i know ill be maining a grappler/zoner and whatever the hell Tremor turns into. Not having Sheeva in the game kinda sucks, but maybe Goro or Ferra/Torr will take her place as the go to grappler/high damage with minimal button presses character im looking for.

Reactions: SPY

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I can't block and approach an opponent that knows what they're doing. Especially if they have a lifelead. It's why it's impossible for me to play flash. I prefer a character that can get good damage then sit back.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
I'm kindve weird in the sense that i normally play a very defensive/patient game, but i always gravitate to rushdown type characters. I'm pretty average at applying pressure to my opponents or opening them up without them first making a mistake (bad wakeup, over-extended). I just dont have the mindgames.

Wonder Woman was an incentive for me to improve in that area since she already had the tools to compliment my more "punishment" based playstyle but as far as MKX, i may try a more zoner based character.

Any time I try to get a friend into fighting games, they ALWAYS pick somebody who doesn't suit new players! For example, in mk9 they pick Stryker who has to play really smart because of his speed, or Green Arrow in Injustice who takes a lot of skill to even pressure.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I have many many places to improve, I tend to have a mindless playstyle where because I spend all my time in training mode, I always play on auto pilot, I never pay attention, I tend to find a couple strategies for a couple situations and switch to the mindless variation that suits the situation, this tends to lead me to either completely destroy people or get bodied, I have gotten better about it lately though I am trying to learn fundamentals but it is a tough process

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Tom fucking Brady <3. Great read, man.

IMO, when you find the line between knowing your strengths and weaknessness and which characters make you feel the most secure and strong about them
, that's when you can really evolve as a player. But there are some players who are simply brilliant in what they do no matter who they use.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Great thread! It's important to self examine from time to time.

I feel like a strength of mine is patience but I struggle with optimizing my damage if and when I open someone up. I think it's a lack of execution so I definitely need to spend more time in the lab.

Macdaddy

STEAM: Bloodychaos2 XBOX: Macdaddy256969
footsies and spacing for me as well. I really like how takeda looks but I dont think ill main him for this reason.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I always choose bottom tier because I get fixated on why I don't see variety and like to keep the game fresh by playing something new. This means faaaaaaaaaar too often I end up maining bottom tier. I mained Ryu in Vanilla MVC3, Iron fist in UMVC3, Ganondorf for 10 years, and both Green Arrow and BANE in the beginnings of IGAU.

I should have just went with folks more suited to my crossup and strong poke range play style that needs high rewards.

Instead of...
Chun/Ryu/Sentinel in Vanilla MVC3
I should have been playing...
She Hulk/Wolverine/Sentinel in Vanilla MVC3

Instead of...
Taskmaster/Iron Fist/Arthur in UMVC3
Wolverine/Nova/Arthur UMVC3

Instead of...
Ganondorf in every Smash EVER
Captain Falcon in Melee, Captain Falcon in Brawl, Peach in Project M and Zero Suit Samus in Sm4sh

Instead of...
Bane/Green Arrow in IGAU
Aquaman/ Hawkgirl in IGAU

Some of these changes I've made now like Hawkgirl and Peach, but the rest...nothing but regrets. Probably would still enjoy Marvel if I had picked a top tier and stuck with it instead of getting fixated on low tier...and for the record NO Arthur at anchor is not low tier and a joke. Dude is scarier than Dark Phoenix. Block one lance and I can block stun infinite you to death and he has full screen coverage, falls out of combos, and a level 3 instant win. Plus his dagger assist or fire bottle assist at either normal or gold armor variants makes Nova/Wolverine a damned nightmare. Especially Nova...he puts up the barrier and starts popping daggers and javelins and you get screwed.

shaowebb

...ah who am I kidding I'd still hate Marvel. Doom Missiles and TOD TAC bullshit all day. Screw that nonsense.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I'll play whoever I've always played in NRS games: the jankiest online character who then becomes overrated as he/she's not that great offline but the online salt carries his/her reputation.

We'll see if Reptile stays the same.

shaowebb

I'll play whoever I've always played in NRS games: the jankiest online character who then becomes overrated as he/she's not that great offline but the online salt carries his/her reputation.

We'll see if Reptile stays the same.
Hell I thought you were maining Ermac with that quote :kappa:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Nice read. That is something a lot of players forget to look at. Some even have problems pin pointing their weaknesses and wonder why they lose all the time. Well, sometimes it isn't about picking the character that looks the coolest to you, it's about picking a character that can cover your bases for the time being. Those that do not make that change can become stagnant.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I'm not sure who to pick this game since Sheeva is not in it. She covered all my weaknesses, now I'm not sure who to pick. I need to think about this deeply the next two weeks.
Is your weakness winning to much? Because losing is about the only thing you can do well with Shevva

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I enjoy the rushdown characters.

I was messing around with a lot of characters before I took a liking to Johnny. I was never a fan of Johnny Cage in the movies / games growing up as a kid, that was Scorpion hands down. In MK9 since I wanted to play competitive I picked what I liked best and what character suited me the best, which was Johnny.

I am hoping Johnny is very similar in MKX to what he was in MK9.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
that's honestly why i enjoy grapplers so much, i cant combo worth shit in comparison to everyone else so instead i want that one button punish so i could take juggles out of equation and focus on the match. im not a great player and constantly worrying about if i will drop juggle just makes me even worse.

that said there is nothing to say you cant move beyond that either. as ive learned the mechanics ive become able to use juggles profeinently even if it does take longer than most. picking a character that covers you're flaws doesn't mean you should just ingore improving them. although i do honestly enjoy grapplers i largely use them to get the hang of the game till i can branch off to other characters i'll like.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
The OP was deep and all, but I just pick mains based on how much of a femme fatale they are and their level of pinkness.