What's new

CASUAL VS. RANKED/TOURNEY MATCHES

This thread will really apply to all MKs. Is there a difference in the way casual and tourney matches should be played? Being a MK2 player, I definitely think so. MK2 is not a very balanced game, so anyone taking advantage of the cheap tactics can ruin the enjoyment of it. I think the same would apply to UMK3 regarding glitch jabs. Yes they should be used, but I don't think these type of tactics should be abused among friends in casual matches. Some might say that to stay on top of your game you have to use these strategies, but as far as i'm concerned a 20 set here and there is not gonna affect you. What do you guys think?

NoDoubt

nasty
if ur playin someone who doesnt know how 2 use/deal with certain techs (infs, glitches, ect.), then I dont think u need 2 do it. If your playin an opponent who does know, it just becomes another casual set.

If im VS someone who goes 2 tournaments or wants 2 seriously get better...there gonna eat my wall infinite all day : P

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
i agree with no doubt if your just playing friends doing "what the character does" can sometimes kill the enjoyment of the game. i downplay against online friends all the time, but the minute they ask to learn or to be taught i would have to hit them with everything

I agree for the most part with what you guys have said so far. MK2 is a little different tho. Lets say were randoming and I land on Reptile and you land on Mileena. This is a completely lopsided matchup. Easily a 9-1 or maybe even 10-0 in Mileena's favor. If you sais spam my Reptile, i'm gonna take a little offense to it bc Reptile has no answer for it. I might as well just put down the controller if someone is gonna play like that. By all means, use this tactic in tourney matches, but to use it in a casual set where wins don't count for anything is just ridiculous. In UMK3 i'm sure there are ways around everything, so certain tactics become less cheap.

NoDoubt

nasty
i used to play MK2 high level briefly when i got into it on mame late 09 to 2010. I think its same thing. If a player cant deal with Mileena's spam bs, the Mileena player probably shouldnt do that, but if he knows how to duck and be patient, its just another casual match between 2 good players. However if the Mileena spammer sucks and the reptile player is a vet, shouldnt be difficult at all. Watch btbb and KANOMK2 XD

Umk3 has alotta dirty shit with more universal infinites I believe. The games faster pace combined with a multitude of techs only a handful of high level players know how 2 execute cause the skill gap to be pretty nuts I think. Everything in MK2 is in umk3 as far as gameplay. Umk3 just has more in it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree for the most part with what you guys have said so far. MK2 is a little different tho. Lets say were randoming and I land on Reptile and you land on Mileena. This is a completely lopsided matchup. Easily a 9-1 or maybe even 10-0 in Mileena's favor. If you sais spam my Reptile, i'm gonna take a little offense to it bc Reptile has no answer for it. I might as well just put down the controller if someone is gonna play like that. By all means, use this tactic in tourney matches, but to use it in a casual set where wins don't count for anything is just ridiculous. In UMK3 i'm sure there are ways around everything, so certain tactics become less cheap.
Just take a look at this, it has all the info you could ever want about this topic: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

When you have the time, it will be really worth your while to read all of that. Not just some of it, but all of it.

NoDoubt
I'm on kano's and btbb's level in MK2. We all know what our options are in the Mileena vs Reptile matchup, but I get no enjoyment out of it. If my opponent is sais spamming in combination with other things, it becomes too much of an uphill battle. I know you guys disagree, but when i'm the Mileena player in this matchup I may only throw 2 or 3 sais the whole match just so the other guy can somewhat fight back instead just waiting for the inevitable. I do it outta respect for my opponent. I don't care if it's the best Reptile player in the world, there is no casual fun to be had fighting a smart Mileena player that mixes in sais spamming. If they do enjoy it, then they must have some weird fetish about getting stomped.

NoDoubt

nasty
That really says more about the game than anything else. I love MK2, but I just wish it was a better game lol. It wouldn't take a whole lot to fix it to where it is tournament worthy. I understand where you are coming from and when I play MK with my friends I generally just dick around and try to break the game with obscure shit. I wouldn't only play that way all the time or you'll lose to someone who isn't even a MK2 player in a tournament. You can never expect that the other player gives a shit about any rules you have made up or an honor code. If you make them shake their head of make some "pfftt.." noises while they are next to you, you know you are doing your job and they can shove their shame right up their ass while they are at the back of the line staring at the floor.

MK2 would probably benefit from just banning the top 3.
Yea like REO doesnt even play MK2 despite making 2nd place over Summoning with Mileena spam lol.

But nah, it may not be fun but I guess thats why you choose who you want to play when your looking 4 fun and avoid others. If I VS someone who's smart in UMK3 and chooses to spam broken crap, I do the same thing to enjoy myself during the set. lol. If you dont like gettin even that way, avoid the player.

You're right Zaq. It's basically just another way of saying the game is completely unbalanced. NoDoubt, most of us random in MK2, so these matchups happen all the time.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Casuals = Do whatever the hell you want. Random, pick top tier, counterpick, it really doesn't count for too much (due to lag/delay)

Tourney = Pull out all the stops. If you aren't exploiting your opponents weaknesses, IAF, MGP, sai spam, etc, you aren't trying. If it's built into the game, it's legal. Don't cry about it. Deal with it and return fire. As Zaq pointed out and I've pointed out to the others at the "other" site...

In ranked play, games count for real. Whether or not they truly "count" (online) is debatable due to the net delay, but that's besides the point. When you play a match that counts, whether it be a tournament, a ladder match, or (MKAK,) you should make sure you are putting yourself in the best position to win (especially when money is on the line.) So yes, you do what you have to do to win.
...What this comes down to is that (name removed) wanted me to random select. Well, given what we know about ranked games, I will tell you up front that is never going to happen. In fact, I might even counterpick. You can call it lame if you want, but it's not cheating. It's a part of the game - and if you or anyone else out there expect others to play by some unwritten moral code in game types which can at times count for cash, all you are doing is giving yourself an unnecessary handicap.

...when it counts, you better be prepared to get hardcore and pull out all the stops. This is just a philosophy you need to adopt and accept if you consistently want to have the best chance to win.