What's new

Can you still cancel the pre-order after the beta period?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, if someone pre-orders the game now, and doesn't like it, can this person still cancel after the beta that starts on August 18th?

Or he will have to buy the whole game?

I wonder how far away the open beta will be from the closed beta up the the full release. tying the closed beta to pre order bonuses is some call of duty levels of marketing but it is WB. might deter scalping just a little less?

Check your stores pre-order policy, some let you cancel until release day and some close as soon as they send you anything

I wonder how far away the open beta will be from the closed beta up the the full release. tying the closed beta to pre order bonuses is some call of duty levels of marketing but it is WB. might deter scalping just a little less?
Dont think they are doing an open beta

For physical copies that would be retailer dependent, I'd imagine. This thread got me curious about digital pre-orders though.

For PlayStation, the answer is yes. Policy in detail here. The gist of it is you can cancel at any time before the release date. After the release date, you can request a full refund up to 14 days after the charge was applied to your credit card provided you have not downloaded the game.

For Xbox, the answer is also yes. Policy in detail here. The gist of it is you can cancel up to 10 days before the release date. At this time your credit card will be charged, and you'll have to request a refund. Refunds are handled on a case-by-case basis for digital products, but so long as you're requesting it within 14 days of the purchase date (perhaps launch date here?) and have not accumulated a "significant amount of play time" (their words), you should get it.

I don't have a Xbox Serie's X or PS5, otherwise I would pre-order Mortal Kombat 1 on the console, and then cancel it afterwards. Since the PC isn't going to get any closed beta.

Why I don't know, but it doesn't feel great to be honest. Problems with the game? Not enough time to get it well optimized?

Because spidey finds literally everything to complain about
sorry i'm not some company bootlicker like you and @Marlow . burned twice on nrs games I didn't enjoy (inj2 and mk11) so it's reasonable I'm a little cautiously optimistic. i've been half if not mostly praising mk1 because I had way more fun in it than both inj2 and mk11. all I really ask for is for the game to be slightly faster

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
sorry i'm not some company bootlicker like you and @Marlow . burned twice on nrs games I didn't enjoy (inj2 and mk11) so it's reasonable I'm a little cautiously optimistic. i've been half if not mostly praising mk1 because I had way more fun in it than both inj2 and mk11. all I really ask for is for the game to be slightly faster
Calling me of all people a company bootlicker is amazin’!

It seems to me that when someone likes something that NRS is doing that you don’t, to you, that makes them shills. So when you like something that NRS is doing and others don’t, what does that make you?

Calling me of all people a company bootlicker is amazin’!

It seems to me that when someone likes something that NRS is doing that you don’t, to you, that makes them shills. So when you like something that NRS is doing and others don’t, what does that make you?
some of y'all all y'all do is nrs. what others games y'all play as consistently? I play multiple games so I have multiple experiences with the way companies handle their fighting games; the good and the bad. the things I usually like that others don't aren't even that controversial. for example, I like doing cool/long combos in mk games. the people who normally don't like that are the types of people that just complain about getting hit or, "not getting a turn to play" because they got hit. controversially, I like the run mechanic. people complain about the run mechanic because it, "upsets the neutral." it is what it is. I'd prefer it but I'm willing to let it go because I have plenty of other fighting games under my resume where running is part of it

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
We’re certainly allowed to have an open beta or wish for an open beta, but I don’t see why NRS is obligated to do an open beta, especially when they never promised one.

If you want to play the beta, pre-order the game. NRS/WB made it an incentive. If you don’t want to pre-order, and you’re worried about buying a game you won’t like, just wait for it to come out and rent it first. Seems like an easy solution.

I never said it was an obligation but I mean basically every fighting game does open betas but since it's big money nrs it's fine? cool my options are spend money or spend money. we haven't even been able to test the crossplay. I don't even know if the pre order beta has crossplay. I was already planning on looking into pre order into cancel for code or just waiting until after release.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
cool my options are spend money or spend money.
I mean, yeah? You could spend the $70 and just buy the game, and then re-sell it if you don't like it. Probably recoup $40-$50, maybe, so you're out around $30. Or try a Gamefly account for about $11 a month and rent it. You could also just not buy it and wait to see how the community reacts and see whether it looks like a game you'd want.

Either way I don't see why this is an issue with NRS. Based on sales of their last couple games, their marketing strategy seems to work fine.

I never said it was an obligation but I mean basically every fighting game does open betas but since it's big money nrs it's fine? cool my options are spend money or spend money. we haven't even been able to test the crossplay. I don't even know if the pre order beta has crossplay. I was already planning on looking into pre order into cancel for code or just waiting until after release.
Stop whining, you're lucky fighting games even provide beta tests at all. How many other games do you get to play a demo or beta before release? Not every game offers this option

You could also just not buy it and wait to see how the community reacts and see whether it looks like a game you'd want.
This.

We aren't in the 90s where you need to wait a month for a magazine to write up a review of a game so you get an idea if it's good/bad. Within 5mins after release there'll be reviews and streams of the game, you can make a decision then and still have the game on launch day. Sure you might miss out on some of the pre-order bonuses, but that's the downside to being indecisive. As with playing the game, you need to take some risk to get some reward.

That said, as Juxtapose pointed out it's almost risk free based on xbox/playstation policies so long as you cancel within a reasonable timeframe.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Its not just the game for me id literally only be buying the ps5 for this game add a halfway decent pad and dats a chunk of change , shits tough
I totally get that. I'm planning on upgrading to an Xbox Series S, but it's a steep investment when you're really only upgrading consoles for one game. And right now life situations makes 1 game about the only thing I have time for.

Kokoko

Somehow
The game is released on consoles that came out 3 years ago and doesn't come out on consoles that came out 10 years ago. What a surprise, wow. We all expected that the old generation will have games until the console is 20 years old.

It's time to come to terms with the fact that an upgrade is inevitable. If you only play one game, well, that's your problem. Maybe you should reconsider what you spend your money on. Nobody is forcing you.

I don't even know if the pre order beta has crossplay.
Oh, if only the game had a website that answered questions like this. And the studio on their socials said that the answers to questions can be found on this site. Wait a second...

Last edited:

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Do you guys all work at Wendy's? The premium is just a C Note. Shouldnt be an issue for a human being who has an account on a Mortal Kombat forum. (The series must be meaningful and worth the cheddah.)

Poverty FGC smh