What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Shaolin Can we take a second and talk about the kitana matchup?

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
Alright first off fuck kitana. Sorry im salty lol but for real when ive got her pinned down its my game but the minute i let up the zoning begins. Idk why but for some reason i just want to play frogger with her fans and it never works out lol. Not to mention when i do make it in with the changes to breakers she can break and send me full screen pretty easy and build up almost a bar before i can make it back to her safely. I guess theres really not much to be said other than always playing it safe and not challenging the fans but i wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on the matter.

@Kinetic CoRzz @KIllaByte @TackyHaddock @Trustypatches @Renzokuken @anyoneelsethatplaysshaolin

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Alright first off fuck kitana. Sorry im salty lol but for real when ive got her pinned down its my game but the minute i let up the zoning begins. Idk why but for some reason i just want to play frogger with her fans and it never works out lol. Not to mention when i do make it in with the changes to breakers she can break and send me full screen pretty easy and build up almost a bar before i can make it back to her safely. I guess theres really not much to be said other than always playing it safe and not challenging the fans but i wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on the matter.

@Kinetic CoRzz @KIllaByte @TackyHaddock @Trustypatches @Renzokuken @anyoneelsethatplaysshaolin
I can upload a few matches me and Dragon had later if I can. Your low chakram will low profile her fans if you time it right and it'll be very frustrating for her so they will have to come in. If you trade with ex low chakram you get to go in...if she wants to spend the meter for breaking, good. Now she has no meter for breaking when I do the exact same shit to her.

Kitana players play on a lot of consistencies, too. So keep that in mind when they are trying to pressure you. She has several safe strings so armor when you can or you may be stuck blocking for a few seconds.

Play safe vs Kitana. And if you have the life lead with some meter towards the end of the round and she breakers you full screen, just crouch there. She can build all the meter she wants but it wont do any good if you time her out

So basically - play slow, learn when to throw low chakram to beat her fans, conserve meter to get out of her safe strings or for ex low chakram v fan trades, if you have life lead late in round just crouch and she will have to come to you.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I agree with what corzz said and would also add that upkick can be a very useful tool against kitana when used correctly. I am often able to catch her full screen when she's on the way up into float before she can get air fans out

gam224

The world's least hype player
Lol you can out zone her. You can duck her fans the reverse isn't possible keep the half screen game going. I play a really good Kung Jin and he has said this match up is 6-4 Kung Jin's favor . If she attempts to air fan use regular chakram and aim it up. Don't shaolin drop to get in but you can use it to get away when you have the life lead. Kitana has to punish you for being unsafe and Jung Jin is very safe. After and version of ex chakram you are + so you can check with down 1 . You can wake up cartwheel and be safe your mix ups are safe and you can beat her in the zoning war. This doesn't look like a difficult match up for Jin lol.

Last edited:

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I agree with what corzz said and would also add that upkick can be a very useful tool against kitana when used correctly. I am often able to catch her full screen when she's on the way up into float before she can get air fans out
No way dude, you don't want to go in the air ever vs Kitana. She controls the skies.

I feel Shaolin is the only variation KJ could use vs Kitana BO looses the match and ansestral looses the match, Shaolin has good tools to deal with zoning, take a look at NEC finalas Sonic Fox vs Slayer.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
Neutral duck the fans. The chakram does more damage than the fans. And jumping on Kitana is risky. Let her do some of the jumping since Kung Jin's anti-airing conversions are nigh limitless. Gunshow v. Sonic at ESL is a good example of this.